The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The first "Escape Proof Challenge Belt” done! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I just checked out photos of the first available Steve Baker “Escape Proof Challenge Belt”. It was made for Café’ member and active performer Kondini. It figures that someone who makes his living performing escapes would immediately see how to exploit this prop and grab one!

Mr. Baker made Kondini a belt that is wickedly sweet looking! It has plenty of leather and stainless steel. I understand that Mr. Baker hand makes each one as it is ordered. He cuts the leather, drills the holes, pounds the rivets, and assembles the whole thing. It is time consuming to say the least (as most hand made props are). I also understand that Steve is limiting his production of only 25 units! Heck, with so few units being made it will be like having an “exclusive” for your area. It will be kind of like being given a territory to perform in. Honestly I believe that he is selling them too inexpensively.

While there will be a similarity in the general appearance across the units, each is truly customized by Mr. Baker. He will craft the “necessary” in a number of different ways, given the performers skill level and the requirements of the performance. There is no guarantee that if you knew the secret working of one Belt that you would necessarily be able to get out of another. That is the beauty and deviousness of Mr. Baker’s thinking.

If you want to check out Kondini new belt (I am sure is on its way to its new owner) then go to: http://www.mrescape.com/

Great job Mr. Escape! Looking forward to hearing some performance reviews Kondini!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Reviews (Honest) Are promised. Doing eight gigs weekly on the showgrounds will break this in a treat.
Ken.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Having held one of his belts in my hand, I can attest to the workamnship, the diabolical nature of the escape, and the total inability of the audience to figure out the escape. It is a beuatiful piece of equipment.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Steve tells the story of a good friend who is a well-experienced and skilled escape artist that wanted to test his skills against the belt. He was allowed to lie out his “tools” before being placed in the belt.

Long story short, the friend managed to defeat the handcuffs after about 45 minutes of struggle and totally gave up after over an hours struggle.

You can read the story at:
http://thesecretorder.proboards46.com/in......18716041

There has been some worry expressed on another thread about this prop that the secret will get out. No worry, there is more than one secret! This thing was designed to take on the “know it alls” and beat them while still allowing you to escape! Each one is a hand crafted, custom job. For example the physical characteristics of a Kondini are totally different from the physical characteristics of, say, a Harry Murphy. The skill levels across EA s are also different and Mr. Baker takes all that in account when building the prop.

Less than $400.00 for a wicked looking, custom made prop that can easily replace your old straight jacket, can be examined, can foil the wise ones (it’s original intent), is performed in full view, and is strong enough to be the closer to your show seems inexpensive to me.

If you were doing a one trick spot, this could be it.

I know that he is already modifying the basic idea to include an underwater version! Hopefully, Mr. Baker will have at least one of each version (leather and underwater) at the convention in October.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi all,

In a recent phone call Steve said it was looking doubtful that he would have any of the original leather ones left.

If you can't make it to the convention and you haven't ordered yours before hand then it would seem you have no chance of getting hold of one of these.

Steve also assured me that once the 25 had gone he wouldn't be making any more.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It would be too bad if Mr. Baker didn’t have a couple Belts to show off at the convention. It would show the true craftsmanship of the man, and the challenge nature of the prop. Of course it would not be too bad for him to sell out before the convention. However it would be too bad for those individuals who need to see and touch a prop before they can talk themselves into buying one. It would be their loss.

Of course I am of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I hope that Steve sells every one of the 25 belts, but on the other hand I would not mind if he didn’t make another belt after the first two that he sold!

Why? Because I get belt number two!

As soon as I saw the photo and read the description on Steve’s website I understood the real performance potential for this prop. In fact, I had already built a “back story” and presentation line even before I talked to Steve about the details. My story makes this a device that is used in “real-life”!

Kondini and I ordered as soon as the belt was advertised. He just got his order in a little sooner than I did. Actually, Steve couldn’t get in touch with me by phone to firm up the details involved in making this for me. Don’t forget they are tailored to the performer. Kondini got his details in first! Also, Mr. Baker has added a couple of things that might not appear on other (and later) editions of the Belt.

As to the limited number being built, I think that Mr. Baker has several other ideas for items that he would like to build and offer. Each one promises to be interesting and challenging. I am looking forward to the many interesting and challenging items that he comes up with.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So you are number 2 hey?

Let me introduce myself... Challenge Belt number 3.

I can't wait to get mine. As you say Harry, the performance potential is huge.

Its so exciting.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Two of the first three in the UK! So far no one stepping on my territory!!! LOL!!! You going for the straight leather version or are you the first underwater (non-leather) version?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
SHHHHHHH! I know of another one coming over the pond.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
ANOTHER!!! Can't wait for the next UKEA meeting to compare.

Harry, mines leather too. But with a couple of special bits added to make it mine.

Won't say any more till its finished and I've had chance to play with it.

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Three out of four to the UK!!! What’s it all about Alfie? Hope you guys don’t trip over yourselves!!! Man I am so pleased that these belts are going abroad. There will be fewer here in the States. I may have the whole eastern seaboard to my little old self!!! That's not a bad thing!!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Harry, I hope to be returning later in the year,,,,,ah where is your twenty,,,,ummmm I have family that live near Baltimore,,,ho hum.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I'm in Western Maryland (very inexpensive part of the state!)and only 2.5 hours from Baltimore. Lived for over 20 years in Annapolis and have family and friends down that way. I even have a daughter that lives downtown Baltimore. Let me know when you are over here and I'll try to connect with you.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well the Belt has arrived,,,,I am working constant on the Showgrounds at present so the breaking in period starts next Wednesday at Bromyard Gala.

First immpressions.

The pics do not do this justice.
The workmanship is A1 even the cut trim is equal all the way around.
The fit is excellant.
No instructions supplied (I love this) So you gotta know your beans about escapology and quite rightly so.
Comes in a dinky bag,,,, (At last,,, in 30years of obtaining gaffs and gear for this job only now has Mr Baker the understanding to put a quality prop into it`s own carrying case) Such a simple and sensible thing to do, but done here for the Very first time to my knowledge, a plus to the working pro).

The overall look is one of strength and power, the impossible!!! restraint, leather,studs,locks,,,even big chromed bolts,,,,it looks the biz.

It is obvious that a great deal of thought has gone into the design of the belt (The option of crotch strap and removal tool) Enforces this.

It is also plain to see that this wonderful tool could be wasted on people who have no sight as to how this should be presented,,,I was lucky in having two months plus to work on my presentation prior to it`s arrival, this preparation will pay huge dividens and promote the idea of this escape to the full.

Yes Steve will proberly sell all 25 in due course,,I hope the buyers will put in the required effort to show this to its best.

No I will not be putting my routine up for grabs, but I will be sending Steve a DVD of his belt at work.

Harry, last time I was in Annapolis I was doing an escape in the covered market area,,,all of a sudden I was on local TV (The camera team was filming the anniversary for Kunte Kinte (Spelling) There were bronze statues about the slavery thing and this looney Brit was rolling around on the ground in an SJ when they were trying to get shots of a public speaker talking about the celebrations!!! Yes I made the News, the main event took second place (Of course).

Happy memories (This is the time I found out the difference between your cops and your State Troopers!!).

I have family in the Baltimore area and hope to visit regular ??? Funds and work permitting.

Back to the theme,,,, A good value for money prop made by a worker for a worker,highly reccomended OK.

Oh yes,,,and there are a few belts sold to ea`s in the Baltimore area!!!!

Thanks Steve

Ken.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Kondini, thank you for posting your thoughts on the Challenge Belt. I've been waiting to hear comments by those who bought the belt. Please let us know how it goes over in your show!!!

That thing looks sooooo COOL in the photos! Glad to hear you think the pics don't do it justice, wow.

Carnegie
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Kondini,

Glad your Belt has arrived,hope you get many years of use
out of it!

One question?..... What does "dinky" mean on your side of the pond? LOL

I thought the case fit the Belt well,with extra pockets for any tools,
linament,pain killer,or whatever!!! LOL

THANKS FOR THE PLUG,

Steve
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
More thoughts will follow, after useage!!
Dinky !!!! Well I guess sweet would sum it up,,,it`s perfect for the belt and as you say, pain killer!!!! Thanks a bunch,,,LOL.

Thanks for the BELT,

Ken.
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Ken,

I haven't heard how things went after you added the Belt
to your show?????

Hope everything went well for you!!

Let me know,OK?

Steve
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Tried and tested at Bromyard Rally it`s first performance,,,,got a lot of sorting out to do regarding the presentation.
Timing is out at this moment with the speckies taking longer than expected to strap me in.

For those in the know,,,have added washers to the two threads as I got pintched a couple of times in practice.

The Belt works fine, no probs, the strap seems to present no problem at all. The look is as expected and impress the public %100.

Will DVD it when I am happy with it not until then.

Cheers Steve,,,, (I understand that number 25 has now been sold!!!!).
Ken.

BTW It`s got to be a closer.
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
It was sold?

Darn

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The first "Escape Proof Challenge Belt” done! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL