The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your Audience, Good or Bad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
What do you if your audience gathers to see your show and they are rude. Either they are talking in a few groups not paying attention or they are trying to figure out what you are doing. Or worse, trying to grab your props or turn over the cards... I for one have learned to do only one trick and politely don't do anymore.

How do you deal with this or do you?

Felixjr
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hmm- sounds just like a mess to me.

Ha- and I've been in this situation before. I suppose you're refearing it to a restaurant situation, yes? If they are being rude or whatnot, and loud. Cast a glance to one of the managers, and give them the 'big eye buldge' stare. They'll get the drift and hopefully come to your aid.

This may not work, and in fact- I just thought it up while trying to come up with a better solution. Perhaps one might try to mention to them; "Well it's now time for me to stroll around." They should get the hint and disembark their rudeness elsewhere. Make a mental note as to who they are- and well... don't visit their table.

I've dealt with those who just have to know how the trick is done, but they still want to see the routine. My honesty is probably my worst enemy because I blantently tell them that I'm their to entertain- those who wish to be entertained. If they insist on interrupting my performance then they are interrupting those who really want to see some magic.

You could also let the people around you that want to see your magic- give the hints to the rude people. That works better. Just talk a bit louder and deeper and act perturbed; those spectators with any sense will inform the rude people of their rudeness.

OR- you could work in a well developed restaurant that caiters to those respectable, mannered people. This is the best thing to do. I highly wouldn't recommend family restaurants. As the aptmosphere isn't quite the performance field for magic. In my opinion.

I'm actually not satisfied with this post- I feel I've helped very little. Ha, but hopefully you'll get something out of the ramblings... Smile

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Thanks Matt,

Your post is quite helpful and every little things help. You gave me an idea to try next time if get into this situation. The idea is to suddenly reducing my voice or to talk without any sound coming out. This might give me the attention or maybe not, but I will try it next time and see.

Felixjr
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Finish the trick thank them for watching and move on
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
NAh , Use a Kap's fire wallet and set them on fire while SHOUTING "SEE SEE that's how the card turns red" .. then steal their watch and don't give it back , then for the coup d' grace shove your TT up their nose. hehe just kidding boys and girls ..
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ha- I'm guilty of laughing. That's a really dumb reply paymerich! But thanks. I rarely see anything that surprises me anymore, but you seemed truly sincere- making it 10 times more ridiculous. I enjoyed the coup d'grace...

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
In a restaurant situation there are plenty of other people there willing to see magic...i don't waste my time on people that don't want to see it.

when I do my first effect, it's an audition...that audition is a two way street...

the audience decides if they like you or not, and you decide what type of audience it is, and if they'll enjoy your magic...

of course, the audience doesn't know they're being auditioned...this puts you in a position of power so to speak...

as performers, we are in "powerful" positions...you relinquish this power when you let someone grab your props or they feel it is ok to blurt out solutions to what they percieve as mere puzzles you are showing...

I've tried to change my presentations so that it's more of a "we're all in this together to have fun" type of thing rather than a magician vs the audience type of thing that is so typical in canned presentations...

I feel I'm straying from the topic a little...

if someone just doesn't want to have a good time or if they refuse to watch a performance, there's little you can do. when performing you need an audience to be somewhat willing to be entertained...if they're not, then be like the soup nazi in Seinfeld..."no magic for you...NEXT!"
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Don't take this the wrong way but maybe it is your presentation. If this happens a lot it is not the spectators it is the entertainer. If this is a rare thing then just move on. I urge you to be careful though. Some people might look like they are not interested but are just very shy. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your Audience, Good or Bad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL