The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdinis very own secret device? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi is this a any good can anyone tell me more about it?
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
What are you asking about?

Mick H
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm willing to bet he is Asking about something that is used to open up the Darbies.
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi this device make a very quick escape from any regulation real police handcuffs it is called Houdinis very own secret device I was just asking if any of you know about it or have used it.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Uh where have you seen this Houdinis Secret Device. if its on Ebay. I'll say buy it. I have one if it is the one I'm thinking of. but I wont give away the secret to it.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Yes, De-Val's creation is quite nice but I prefer the Cannon's Cruciform key, more options and a little longer life span.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Now we have an idea what it is, I agree with x-treem. I doubt if it was called this when Harry was alive, anyone agree?

Mick H
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The one I'm thinking about is available on E-bay. and is called Secret Weapon- Escape Artist Houdini Handcuffs Key.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Don, that one is a quality product made by our very own Clyde Smile
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Secret Weapon, is this the one by Pastor Clyde?

I believe that one is compareable to David's Gimmick X. The one Tait refers to is also known as a Darby Master Key, often tagged with the Houdini name in the front.

Houdini refers to it simply as a split key, in Handcuff Secrets,

Sorry Dave your post was coming as I went to add my own, we crossed posts.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Isn't Clydes Secret Weapon used if you have two pairs of cuffs with key holes facing each other?

If this is what you have Don, what's it like. Been thinking of getting one for a while but hadn't heard of anyone who'd used it.

Also, never used the Gimmick X either. Is one better than the other? Or do they perform different jobs?

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I've seen Gimmick X and heard about Clydes. Gimmick X is good for ridged/ hinged cuffs however I believe there was a post here saying it has problems when it comes to cuffs with plastic covers (like Speedcuffs.) If you search posts by (I think) James Peters it was one of his earliest posts but at the same time I don't trust my memory on that.

Most compare Clydes to Cannon's extender, preference has been evenly divided.
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Yup, TAIT is talking about the De-Val. Again it is great but I prefer the Cannon's Cruciform.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18 to see the gimmick-x thread that the Xtreem was refering to.

Thanks Shawn.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Wow, I talked a lot back then! I'm proud of myself as well for remembering that post and was bang on by who it was from. Yeah, I finally got one right.
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi all thanks for your help.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I like Pastor Clydes Making I beleive it can be used for two and even one. I'll like to divulge more but I don't want to give the secret away.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hope I can offer some clarification here. My 'Secret Weapon' is not for darby cuffs. I have a 'trojan key' for darbies. The Secret Weapon will work with any rigid or chain cuff but if there it has a plastic shield on it (Speed cuff, Ultimate cuff) then it a modification is required. Some people get one of each to have all basis covered.

Hope this helps,

Clyde
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Been off line a few days . . .

David DeVal's "Houdini's Secret Device" was/is an updated version of a gimmick sold by the Magic Dealer Max Andrews in the 1950's (and possibly by others for all I know). It opens Darby cuffs. With all due respect to David, I agree with Shawn and prefer the versatility of the Cannon's cruciform gimmick - made by Ian McColl, I think. Having said that, I do own (and use) a couple of DeVal "Secret Devices". I saw pretty much the same gimmick in the collection of Chris Gower - they once belonged to the late James Crossini. . it's not a new idea and the original gaff - slightly different construction -- is in one of the Houdini books (can't think which one at the moment).

The "Gimmick X" will not work with Speedcuffs without some prior modification to the gaff. It needs a light touch. To be honest, an articulated key extension is stronger and probably more useful.

Regards

Riley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdinis very own secret device? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL