The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is this ethical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
I agree, as long as you are just using them yourself, I don't see that it would be a problem.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Um, why should you have to re-purches an effect just to do it again rather then replacing the supplies?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 23:14, johnlamberti wrote:
The gaff is just a double faced card. When I say "make" I mean make up a new packet of cards.

Sure. Make it as long as you don't make it for your friends. You all ready paid for it. It's like a CD if it starts to get scratched you can make a copy.

John
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
In my opinion - and I make gaff decks - Ethics only enter into it when you are using the trick of someone were they should get credit for it - and you do not give credit.

Ofcourse I am assuming you are not selling the trick 0 that is not a question of ethics then - it is one of possibble theft.

Quote:
On 2005-06-21 21:05, Josh Riel wrote:

I don't really want to seem like a jerk, from my current point of view I would say it's O.K. Were I to be selling or manufacturing them I would say NO.

I do and I do not agree - The trick is the thing here, and the gaff is not a design of anyone who hasn't been dead for 100 years.

and I sell gaff cards
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
You have already paid for the secret, so if you need a replacement, I see no reason why you shouldn't do it. No need to pay for the secret twice. It is great that you asked though. Shows ya actually care. Smile

Later,
James
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I've seen a few packet tricks where they instruct how to make the gimmicks yourself. You bought the secret, not just cards.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
David Regal tells you how to make the gaff and where to buy the required envelope for his effect Special Delivery. Bob Kohler does the same thing for his Black Envelope. I've read MANY times in many sets of instructions where the author tells you to "simply replace XXX when it gets worn out". I can't imagine a scenario where any such replacement issues would be unethical by man or God as long as it's for your own personal use.
I purchased PINNACLE (a rubber band and ring penetration effect) and it came with 2 rubber bands to let me see and feel the proper size to use. Once the bands have broken...you get the picture.
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
Consider that a double facer (or double backer) is, in essence, a utility item. It has been used by many performers in many different ways. You purchased the effect, and for what you paid, you learned a new approach that you have put to good use. Further, I would guess that whoever created this effect you are using bought the card he sent you rather than making it himself. If you wish to truely honor them, send them a note saying how much you like the effect and tell them that you have done it so much you've actually had to replace the double facer. Thank them for their creation and you will have done right by them.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
I have a Harry Anderson effect (I can't recall the name) where the gaffed card is torn into four pieces. Since the gaff is nearly impossible to make yourself, you can purchase replacements when your first batch runs out. Similarly, for this discussion, if a creator wants you to replace worn cards from them, s/he should make them available at a reasonable price. In this particular case, I can't imagine an economically viable situation tha makes sense

As many have already said, you've bought the secret, so you shouldn't have to buy it again.

Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 17:59, Erik Anderson wrote:
If you wish to truely honor them, send them a note saying how much you like the effect and tell them that you have done it so much you've actually had to replace the double facer. Thank them for their creation and you will have done right by them.

Erik, your suggestion to send the author/creator a thank you note, etc., is one of the finest and I will begin to incorporate it myself immediately.
Thank YOU for such a great piece of considerate advice.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
That is a pretty good idea. Flatery and acknowledgement Smile
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I recently made the gaff for McDonalds aces. But I bought the secret. In fact the gaff was free.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I had a similar issue with John Allen's "Double Back" some time ago. I contacted him and asked him if it was okay to reproduce - for my own purposes - the cards needed for the effect. He quite happily said it was okay. I've since had to make up three sets - they do get grubby after a while, and in the case of "Double Back" - that extra little something loses its effectivity after a while.

I'm a firm believer in the "buying the secret" principle and have since had to 'make' extras where I have properly purchased the original.

Of course, it doesn't always work out that way! The ammount of "Twisted Sisters" and "Ultimate Three Card Monte" sets I had to buy is no-ones business!

Cheers

RK
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Nick,
If it's the same trick I have, it's called "Gang of Four". Really good trick but I haven't had the chance to actually perform it yet. I liked the concept of it and that is why I bought it in the first place.
Aubrey_T
View Profile
Regular user
Paso Robles
175 Posts

Profile of Aubrey_T
I correlate it to this: I've bought a couple of cd's in the past that have gotten destroyed from some serious scratches. I have no problem burning a copy of the same discs from someone else that has it considering that mine got destroyed. I myself am a musician as well (by trained profession) and would have no problem someone burning a CD of mine that got messed up from wear. You supported me in the first place...it's my courtesy thank you to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is this ethical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL