The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ahead Of The Pack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrewmorrison
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh
2 Posts

Profile of andrewmorrison
I've heard about a book entitled "Ahead of the Pack", which, according to somebody whose judgement I respect greatly contains an excellent write-up on the Vernon 5 card psychological force. Interesting enough, but apparently this turns it into a can't-fail item. I've always particularly liked this effect, but I've never had a lot of success in getting it to actually work!

Anybody know if the material in "Ahead of the Pack" is actually as good as I've heard? Does it REALLY make it "bombproof"? 'Cause if it does, I'd be VERY interested.
Neil Ascott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Profile of Neil Ascott
I've always made great use of Vernon's psychological force and it has served me well over the years, but I agree that it's difficult to get it to hit 100%.

I'd be particularly interested if this is given a new treatment in the book. Anyone know?

Neil
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
It makes it bombproof, but not psychologically. It utilizes outs.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Try looking at 7 Deceptions, there's a chapter called 'Darker Dai' which utilizes the basic principle but makes it better, and there are a few additional suggestions as well, it's pretty good and I can't wait to try it!

Cheers,

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
HowieStanton
View Profile
New user
UK
4 Posts

Profile of HowieStanton
I have the book, and the section really takes the force to the next level. Totally cool! It's one of the best things in the book!!!!
Stuff the white rabbit, can you sing?
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Whether you are interested in the Psychological Force or not, just get "Ahead of the Pack" before it sells out, you won't be disappointed. The reports about the material being excellent are accurate. I believe that it is available only from this site http://www.ian-rowland.com/Start/IRStartIndex.htm
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
I've read the contents of the book and I'd like to have a broader opinion about the material from the book.Worth getting? Could be compared to some other book?
Thanks.
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
I purchased Ahead of the Pack mostly for its superb mentalism section, which comprises less than one fifth of the book, but have found myself marveling at the diabolic subtleties in the majority card sections as well. The card sections contain a combination of techniques and full-blown effects, some utilizing the techniques taught in the book and others not. Right off the bat, for example, is a lovely, low stress, non-strike, no-break multiple lift called "Lift Off," which mimics the action of pushing the top card forward with the index finger and then naturally turning it over with the kind of "grip" that one would use to turn over a single card. This same opening section also explains a previously unrevealed method for the ambitious card with which Slydidni floored one of the authors during a visit to the home of Alan Alan. The move is entitled "Slydini's lost ambitious card" and mimics exactly the insertion of the ambitious card into the center of the pack, the slow and fair display of the pack with the ambitious card protruding from its bowels (which it actually is!), the unhurried, fair pushing of the card flush (which is actually what happens!), and then, somehow, with no subsequent moves, the same card is on top of the deck. The card may be signed, and the effect is repeatable. Here is how the author describes his viewing of the effect:

"[Slydini]had taken out a deck of cards, and he held up the top card for us to identify. He pushed it slowly into the middle of the deck, then tapped the top of the deck, and suddenly, the card was back on top again.
I couldn't imagine what had happened. Then he offered to do it again, and I focussed like a security camera homing in on a pickpocket moving in for the dip. Card off the top, shoved fairly into the middle of the deck, very slowly. I burned his hands for a pass, a palm, a side steal, anything . . . Nothing. And suddenly -- the card was back on top again. I couldn't believe my eyes."

Jack Alvis and Lewis Jones, Ahead of the Pack, p. 22.

What self-respecting card man wouldn't (and shouldn't) pay the price of the book for the gem alone?

Recommended. But it, and enjoy it.
HowieStanton
View Profile
New user
UK
4 Posts

Profile of HowieStanton
I've got the book, and I thought that the best section was on the five card force.

I'm also getting marvellous results from the "rollover". 12 (yes, 12!) variations for the stop force!!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
No-one tried out the version of "Out of This World" in this book yet? I remember Jack Janson showing me this a few years ago (he corresponds with Lewis) and I didn't have a clue.

I've just been given the book as an Xmas present so will be a good boy and not open it until Xmas.

On Vernon's F.C.M.F, Gerald Kosky had an "out" approach, to be found in "The Magic of Gerald Kosky" p.71

Paul.
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Thanks ThoughtThief for this elaborate explanation. I have some other unexpected bills to pay right now but I think I'll give it a try in future.
Thanks
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I too have Ahead Of The Pack and think its terrific.. Already I have learn some great double lifts without any get readies, a great Betcha using a red black read kinda bet that is so clever its scary.
"Ive got your number" is a great little routine.

The Magic Square method for me was worth the books price.
A seemingly random, impromptu system that can be done anywhere.

I would put it ike this, I am no great cardman but everything I have read in there has worked like a charm.. and its unusual for me to find so many items that I will actually use.

Lastly dont forget the centre tear method thats very usable and combines the tear and read into one movement.

Just treat yourself and get this gem.

Regards Alan
clsaxn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of clsaxn
Anywhere to buy it in U.S.????
SergeK
View Profile
New user
Michigan
8 Posts

Profile of SergeK
Quote:
Jack Alvis and Lewis Jones, Ahead of the Pack, p. 22.

Huh, I'm confused. I've heard that AHEAD OF THE PACK was by Ian Rowland (who wrote the Full Facts COLD READING book among others). Are you saying AHEAD OF THE PACK is by Jack Alvis and Lewis Jones, or am I misunderstanding the above quote?

Thx,
Serge
The Detroit String Quartet played Brahms last night. Brahms lost. (Bennett Cerf)
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Ian Rowland sells it
HowieStanton
View Profile
New user
UK
4 Posts

Profile of HowieStanton
Ahead of the Pack is by Jack Avis, and Lewis Jones.

Ian Rowland just sells it! Smile
SergeK
View Profile
New user
Michigan
8 Posts

Profile of SergeK
Thanks, Euan and Howie, for your respective clarifications.
Serge
The Detroit String Quartet played Brahms last night. Brahms lost. (Bennett Cerf)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ahead Of The Pack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL