We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Magic Square Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
As many of you know, the smallest possible magic square is 3 x 3, requiring 9 different numbers. That is, until now . . .

Can you create a magic square with only 8 different numbers, writing each number only once? Yes, each number may have more than 1 digit, but you can only use 8 numbers and they must all be different.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Scott,

Since you got us thinking about magic squares on the 15-puzzle, I'm
wondering if the following would work:

stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
But wait...the above is not really a square. (Or if it is a square,
it's still 3x3.)

1+8....2+7
3+6....4+5
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Those aren't the answers I was going for, but they are both interesting approaches, and they both fit the parameters I described!

If this were GAMES magazine, your answers would go right into the "Eureka!" column (the column for those who found alternative qualifying answers to various puzzles).

You've done a 2x2 magic square and a 3x3 magic square, now how about a 4x4 square with the same parameters? (Yes, it can be done . . . )
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Stanalger provided some great 2x2 and 3x3 magic squares using only eight numbers, but no one was able to get the 4x4 magic square.

If you want to see the answer, click here. I am in awe of the work it must have taken to come up with this.

P.S. This is my 1000th post!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Magic Square Challenge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL