The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can any one give me suggestions please thanks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

friendlyparrots
View Profile
New user
NY
2 Posts

Profile of friendlyparrots
Hi, I'm Jack I am a bird Breeder breeding mostly Parrots, I have one pair of white Doves which I usually sell the babies on line have sold to magicians as well.

So here's my question: I am involved with a organization in my area where we do home visiting for the sick. So I became very interested in looking in to entertaing them, So I thoght I can use my doves, and I also have access to a rabbit.

So I was woundering if anyone can please give me an idea of a small 15-20 minute performence with the doves or rabbit, and maybe some other animal?

I'm not realy into magic, But I bought a few things on ebay a while ago. I have a dove to rabbit box, with stand, I have a fire to dove bag, 2 dove/chick pans , and a sleeve with fishing string for dove production, I can also take along a Parrot that talks to throw in his few words, he does not talk on command, but says a lot of words. I would appreciate any ideas or performence tips you can supply me. Thanks...

Jack
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Well I admire your sincerity but magic with birds is a pretty specialized area that takes months of constant working with animals. You are probably right to stay with mechanical contraptions rather than doing fancy productions. The dove to rabbit box would make a good closer. Things you could do with relatively little rehearsal (I use the word relatively advisedly) would be a production of a dove using a dove pan, Dove in balloon, Dove through glass. None of this is cheap however and hoping to find it all on e-bay is probably not going to happen.

Using the above I'd produce one dove with the dove pan, produce the second in the balloon, put the doves through the sheet of glass and then change them both to a rabbit. Short, sweet, and doable even for a novice. A novice willing to put in some blood, sweat, and tears to make it presentable. Best of luck.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Jack,

Are you interested in becoming a magician, or looking for a way to involve your birds as part of your home visits? Parrots can be trained to do some very cool things, if you are willing to spend the time and attention (as I'm sure you well know).

Some of the best entertainment I've experienced during a magic show involved a comedian working with parrots (no magic, just a funny bird).

As Frank points out, magic equipment isn't cheap, and while you can sell the equipment, taking up magic because you already have the birds may not be the best experience either for you or your birds.

The forum "Polly Wants a Cracker" in the Stage, Platform and Parlour section can offer you some good ideas.

Best of luck!
David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Jack,

A friend of mine does home and hospital visits with his dog. She (the dog) had to pass a testing period to qualify.

First a few words about home visits with your birds. Allergies. Poop (Only if your bird can poop right before the visit.) Patients' aversion to or fright of birds. If your doves are vry tame and trained/socialized would they be a better choice because of their size.

Second - your rabbit. Perhaps better than birds because they can usually be petted (if trained/socialized that way.)

As far as tricks with or without your animals - check out magic shops in your area. Even better, a major bookshop in the "games" section. Dover Publications has many paperback books on magic and they are online.

Good luck and have fun.

David
You have to give it away to keep it.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5171 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jack, real dove workers practice for years getting a 15 minute animal act together and ready to perform. You said you are not into magic and for that reason alone, I'd recommend you don't try to develop a magic act using animals. Bird magic takes a lot of time, practice and hard work besides the caring for them.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can any one give me suggestions please thanks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL