The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic for tips!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
I went to a restaraunt and I offered my services and I got the job! My only problem is that the manager wants me to work for tips! That's not the same but less than servers get paid. That's all around sucks! Well what I want to know is how do I tell the lady I don't want to work for tips?
Thanks
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Just say "no." Tell her that you are a professional. Explain that you work for pay, just as any employee or private contractor. If she balks, ask her if she would work only for tips, were the situation reversed. Do it politely, of course, but remind her that her wait staff, bar staff and even her buss staff all work for a wage plus tips.

Then mention that you will be happy to work for a portion of your standard show rate and will refuse tips so as not to damage her staff's income - after all, you are not there to hurt THEIR ability to make a living and you certainly do not want to alienate her staff, but to HELP them - and HER - make a better living.

Remember, as a magician, you are what amounts to an in-house promotion. You are a drawing card that will help customer retention and will hopefully draw new business as well. For that, you should be paid, like any professional.

If not, find another restaurant. There are lots of them out there. But please, don't work just for tips. It cheapens the profession and makes it that much more difficult for YOU to get paying work at other restaurants and bars in your area as well.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
LEE,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Remember also, though, that you are not there to just make money for yourself or to stroke your ego.
You are there for the restaurant to make money.

One thought to keep in the back of your head if they suggest working just for tips.
If you negotiate a fee you might mention that IF someone does tip you you always cycle your tips. I give it back to the server or back to the restaruant when you come in on an off night.

Hope it helps and not just rambles
Shaun
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Sounds like the restaurant is trying to get a magician for cheap (obviously). Lee, very well put.

Apropos tipping, I have never been tipped, and I must say I do not want to be. I feel it makes a potentially wonderful, awe-inspiring, and sometimes once-in-a-lifetime event, into a tacky and unrefined 'hustle'. It would leave me feeling awkward, apologetic, and slightly 'dirty'; while the audience may feel a little hard done by - hardly an amazing experience.

That said, tipping in England is not a regular occurence, only really done in restaurants, whereas in America it seems very commonplace, so it possibly is not as unrefined there. Also, it is the 'norm' to tip in restaurants, yet people are very rarely, if ever, approached by magicians - they therefore do not know really how to act, and certainly don't know whether it is the done thing to tip. We magicicans obviously take advantage of the fact they do not really know how to behave, by giving them direction, and thus they 'play by our rules' (vital for a successful performance), yet personally I would not want to exploit this for a few pounds.

Well the lady and I already made a deal and at the end when I was leaving she said and you will be working for tips. So I left, I'm a man of my word so I'm going to go but I defonitly don't want to. After I work for that first day I'm going to say ok if you like that and I think the audience liked that then I will work for you but not for tips and ill explain about how I am an entertainer and should be paid much more than a waiter or waitress but ill take a fraction off my normal price and see what she thinks.

Should I say something else any ideas for me would be appreciated!!!!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Lee told it like it was in this one for sure, bravo Lee.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I don't work for tips, but I confess, I've often wondered about the ups / downs of that sort of arrangement. I get a good sum in tips each night....and I split them with the server whose table it is (after initialy refusing that is). So is there anyone out there who DOES work only for tips?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 01:19, sjballa147 wrote:
Well the lady and I already made a deal and at the end when I was leaving she said and you will be working for tips. So I left, I'm a man of my word so I'm going to go but I defonitly don't want to. After I work for that first day I'm going to say ok if you like that and I think the audience liked that then I will work for you but not for tips and ill explain about how I am an entertainer and should be paid much more than a waiter or waitress but ill take a fraction off my normal price and see what she thinks.

Work for a few more days then just one..
Then tell the manager, that you enjoyed working there and that HER customers/guests loved to watch you, and some even mentioned they will soon be back with some friends as they want them to se you entertain them too.
Then tell the manager, that as much as you enjoyed to work there, you have to make a living, so you unfortunately can't continue working for tips.

Thank the manager for the opportunity to please her customers, but you have to move on to find a place/another restaurant that can offer a little more then just working for tips..
IF your work was good, she'll in any case know and she might be willing to make a more favourable deal..
Just present this politely, nobody works for *free* and tips doesn't even cover your expenses to even *travel* to the place..
Be carefull, think about how to *place* your wordings, but, this/simialar should do the trick...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Get comment cards. On the nights you are working for tips leave the comment cards at the tables, (point them out to the patron or just give them to the patron) collect them after the table has gone, take them home, photo copy the best ones onto your letterhead (several on one page) and then take them to the manager the next day. Use them as leverage to keep the job and get paid to do your work.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Wizardofsorts great idea but where can I get or how can I make comment cards???
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I've never performed for money. I have worked, while in college, in restaurants that had entertainment. Balloon guys, strolling musicians, etc. These folks were tipped by customers. The staff never gave it a thought. I never heard anyone complain the balloon guy/gal was taking teir tips.

I'm not on either side of the tipe issue. I just offer my experiences working a few years in restaurants.
~Joe
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:

I'm not quite understanding how you "made a deal" and only afterward discussed your pay.
Please elaborate.
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 07:27, Laughing Otter wrote:
Quote:

I'm not quite understanding how you "made a deal" and only afterward discussed your pay.
Please elaborate.

Well she assumed I would be working for tips she didn't ask just assumed!!!!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Okay, the error was made in the initial negotiation and believe me, I've made it myself. When you agreed to work, your fee should have been the next thing to be discussed. It's an easy error to make when first starting out, but make it a point of knowing what you are going to make before you "turn your first trick" for the establishment - unless you are doing a "sample" set for them, as many magicians do, as a field test for the manager to see how well this sort of thing will work in their restaurant. Once you have done that, you should then talk money.

This isn't an easy thing to do, but if you can get your hands on Michael Ammar's tape on Negotiating Higher Fees (I think that's the title), you will have some methods for handling the discussion ready and won't be completely at a loss when it comes to talking dollars and cents (or Yen or Euros or whatever).

I admire your sense of honor in sticking to your agreement. I am sure that the restaurant will see the value in that and in your work for them. Once they do, you can probably re-negotiate for a fee. I hope so. You deserve one.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Thank you very much!!!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You can still find Michael Ammar's Negotiating Higher Fees tape at http://www.tmyers.com. It's also in printed format in his book "The Magic of Michael Ammar". I highly recommend both!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the problem as I see it. Show Business has 2 parts. We spend so much time getting the show right that we tend to forget that the BUSINESS part may very well have as much to do with us being able to eat as the show part.

Many people are uncomfortable talking about what something is worth. In sales this is called "asking for the sale". You have to be able to find a way to express, in palatable terms, what your services are worth to people.
Find a search engine and type in XEROX-PSS. This may be called something different now but it is the Features and Benifits selling course. This is not inexpensive, but it is worth its weight in gold. This is the standard everyone has used for sales reps for 30 years. We are salesmen. Either find someone to sell your show, or learn how to do it well yourself. This will teach you to do it.

Business my friends, business. How many times have we seen people we feel are less talented than we are doing better than ourselvs? Well many times it is because they are quite good at the business end of it.

Best of luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-07-02 20:50, Dannydoyle wrote:
"...the BUSINESS part may very well have as much to do with us being able to eat as the show part...."

Not as much, more.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 10:24, sjballa147 wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 07:27, Laughing Otter wrote:
Quote:

Please elaborate.

Well she assumed I would be working for tips she didn't ask just assumed!!!!

For anyone that has gotten a rest. gig, the post sounds like a phoney. Managers don't assume anything when offering work.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Larry...... your quite right my friend. I was incorect in saying as much.... it is indeed MORE thanks!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Chris, I tend to agree with you. sjballa147 I have a question, and please don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly did you perform for the manager when you went in? If indeed she did "assume" that you would be working for tips, could it be that you did not come off as a professional? In addition to what you performed, how were you dressed? Did she see how you did something? Etc, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic for tips!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL