The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleight-free tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
How many of you guys enjoy reading and performing self-working card tricks? Do any of you collect them or perform this sort of card magic exclusively? By this I mean, tricks without any sleights what-so-ever such as Karl Fulves and Jim Steinmeyer write.
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No. I don't usually like them in the least.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Well there are some tricks I use which depend on VERY little sleight of hand and I like performing these but I still have to come across a trick with no sleights at all which I like.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
If I did self-working tricks how would I be different from someone's Uncle Bob doing card tricks? Remember: Don't do card tricks, Do Card Magic!
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I have one, and I do it as an interlude between 2 sandwich tricks I do.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
I have done "Royal Wedding" which I learned in a Frank Garcia book. Otherwise, I am not too partial to self-working tricks.
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 03:52, Jeremy L. wrote:
If I did self-working tricks how would I be different from someone's Uncle Bob?

Easy, your presentation.

I recently made a thread about a similar subject. The only one I do is Do As I Do. I've got Hugards Encyclopedia, and it has a whole section devoted to self-working tricks, but they mainly rely on the "locator card" principle as in Do As I Do. In the thread I started there are numerous tricks mentioned that may be of interest to you.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&33

As far as doing "magic" instead of tricks, I enjoy the respect given me when it becomes apparent that I am skilled in sleight of hand. I'll leave the "magic" to you.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 03:52, Jeremy L. wrote:
If I did self-working tricks how would I be different from someone's Uncle Bob doing card tricks? Remember: Don't do card tricks, Do Card Magic!

The answer to your question is by presenting it in an entertaining and professional manner, in a way you Uncle Bob wouldn't. Many magicians on this forum seem to take a somewhat pompous stand to so called 'self working card tricks', but surely the only criteria most performing magicians should need is to entertain their audience. For a lot of magicians 'self workers' are much more difficult because they rely heavily on the presentational aspect of magic. Of course there are a lot of not so good self workers out there, but there are also a lot of gems. You're just not looking hard enough.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
For me, there is no distinction between Self-working tricks and otherwise.

I think, principles, sleights, subtlety, patters, presentaions, etc are all components to be combinded in one framing to produce a magical effect.

Bordeaux wine is produced by combining four different vine, Caberne Souvinion, Melrot, Caberne Fran and Peti-verdo. The difference of combination produce different taste.

If your magic is produced only by a mathematical principle, or by one single sleight, it is like to serve wine of single vine. It is very easy to guess the vine.

Hideo Kato
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Premonition by Bob Solari is a very good self working card trick. I'm not much into card tricks and only have a couple, but Premonition is a good one.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
OK then here is an odd question.

Once you get the Tamariz, Aronson, Osterlind etc down cold, there are things that you can do that require no sneaky movements with your hands. In other words, you're using your brain & eyes, but no sleight of hand is required to determine a chose card - you just glance at the card above openly.

Does this count as "self working", because although you had to do work to get the stack down, it doesn't involve sleights.

If so, then yes I enjoy sleight-free tricks.
tjo'
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Yes, I agree that presentation and manner make you different from Uncle Bob. And back to the original question, the only I do is also "do as I do". Self-working, works fine every time.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Strong and powerful self working trick , look at P Harris Overkill, a real killer. No sleight at all, all magic is in presentation as it should be. In my verison , I place the prediction card at the 31st position, makes the effect even more powerful. Overkill may be found in P Harris AoA and M Ammar ETMCMC vol 2
Smile Smile Smile
blueboy7948
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of blueboy7948
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 08:06, Hideo Kato wrote:

I think, principles, sleights, subtlety, patters, presentaions, etc are all components to be combinded in one framing to produce a magical effect.

I think you are absolutely spot on with that.
The magic is in the performer not in the trick or the sleight. I Love (and I may not be right with the name here) Matched picture cards by Nick Trost from the Card magic of Nick Trost (and I think a version of it is in a CC volume somewhere). Took me a while to get the presentation down because I always thought that it was just TOO easy to perform, but after a re-think and some presentation work I love it and it's become one of my favourite effects
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I do it not becuase of the ease in performing since there are no sleights involved but because I can concentrate more on improving my patter.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 21:00, blueboy7948 wrote:
Quote:

The magic is in the performer not in the trick or the sleight. I Love (and I may not be right with the name here) Matched picture cards by Nick Trost from the Card magic of Nick Trost

Matched Picture Cards by Nick Trost is one of my favorite "self" working effects.
Some of Nick Trosts effects which are excellent and use sublety as opposed to sleights are in his book ,
1 - Matched Picture Cards pg 49
2 - Intuition pg 161
3 - Subtle Loctaion pg 137
This book is loaded with gems, why is it the majority on this post do not like self working effects, I have to quote one of the great mentalist's , Ted Annemann " The effect is the important thing , how you achieve it is not"
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 21:55, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 21:00, blueboy7948 wrote:
Quote:

The magic is in the performer not in the trick or the sleight. I Love (and I may not be right with the name here) Matched picture cards by Nick Trost from the Card magic of Nick Trost

Matched Picture Cards by Nick Trost is one of my favorite "self" working effects.
Some of Nick Trosts effects which are excellent and use sublety as opposed to sleights are in his book ,
1 - Matched Picture Cards pg 492 - Intuition pg 161
3 - Subtle Loctaion pg 137
This book is loaded with gems, why is it the majority on this post do not like self working effects, I have to quote one of the great mentalist's , Ted Annemann " The effect is the important thing , how you achieve it is not"
Rennie
To those who do not like self-working effects..."you're missing out on a lot of good stuff". I love card magic and must agree with Katosan...I see no distinction in self working card effects and otherwise. Kudos to Nick Trost!
:bluebikes:

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Looks to me like the majority is siding with the self working card effects...
I think that is great, why make your job harder when in most cases you can accomplish a difficult effect with ease ?
Makes no sense why it should be a knucklebuster when you are able to concentrate on your presentation..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
There are a scary large number of magicians on this site who judges a trick not by the effect, but by the work behind the effect.

Uncle Bob's tricks is often presented as tricks, and is therefore percieved only as tricks. He is - after all - only Uncle Bob. Present the trick as magic, and it will be far better than the same effect presented by Uncle Bob.

Judge a effect on it's reactions, not skills.

I know many tricks where I only have to do a little peak, or a tiny sleight to get it off - and very often is this the kinds of tricks that fry the specators. The fact that is has been done so open in your hands, right in front of them...

My two ten kroners...
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Please don't go and do something silly such as picking up a copy of the Trost book. That Intuition trick isn't worth a second glance at all.

I agree with T. Joseph O'Malley's post above that learning a stack, in a sense, makes for sleight free magic.
Drive Carefully
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleight-free tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL