The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to make a Big POOF of Smoke. ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
So one can hide. so that another person and the Magician can switch places. ( this will be done for a sub trunk )
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
Are you wanting the "poof" to come from the trunk or from the stage floor?

Le Maitre Smoke Puffs are generally the easiest way to create a somke "poof". They come in medium and large sizes and are around $10 for a single or $60 for a dozen. They are bare wire effects... so you would need some sort of device or powered lead to set them off.

TheatreFX sells them http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.cgi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Paul I'm thinking of maybe stage floor I'll need the front of the trunk covered in smoke during the exchange.
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
Then you're probably looking for something that lasts at least 3 seconds. The problem with most puff type effects is that they fire and dissapate very quickly. The ones from Le Maitre would only provide a second of coverage then move higher and past you, not providing cover anymore. A CO2 smoke screen might be more of what you're looking for. Still looks like smoke to the audience, but you can control the duration of the effect. You can also control the width and height of the smoke curtain with this method.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You need a flash pot filled with smoke powder of your selected color and a switch for the flash pot. It is only a quick puff.
Donster if you come to a future magic meeting I can bring one of mine and show you how it works.
Daniel Faith
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
363 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello Donster

With a small compressor and a fog machine the effect can be accomplished. You will also need a reservoir where the fog can be stored before its release. The fog machine pumps fog into the reservoir and the compressor is used to drive the fog out of the reservoir. Depending on the pressure used you can create from an explosive effect to a smoldering effect. It is also much safer than the flash pot method. I have used this method frequently when the local fire Marshall does not allow open flame.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
PS: Please PM or e-mail me for more details.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to make a Big POOF of Smoke. ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL