The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Deans Box revisited...Please??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
Dear Deans Box owners...
I perform the Deans Box with a ghost/spirit theme.... The Scott Alexander ending really doesn't do anything for me... I have tried it, nothing for my audiences either.
Apart from messages appearing on slate etc, are there any other cool - yet stunning endings for this routine..... my brain must be in magic overload.
I perform a majority of the sequences that come with the video and explained on Scott Alexanders DVD - come on guys...??? Lets warp this thing. Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
If you treat the Box as a special box and do not stick to the linking/unlinking theme the possibilities are endless.
Effects like Invisible Deck, Triumph or even B'Wave get a whole different meaning when putting them into the box.
And what about the bolt and nut that get unscrewed?
The issue of making effects covert instead of overt opens up many possibilities here.

The strength of Dean's Box in my opinion is that it offers both an diabolical method as well as an intriguing object!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
I like very much the Dean Box but was looking for additional effects to the 3 original one presented on the video. I've found an interesting one in K Fulves self working handkerchiefs magic, p24: The Antique Shop a very strong effect based on the Cords of Phantasia principle (idea from Hans van Baaren): the handkerchiefs, tied to ropes escapes itself and the rope escape from the box.

Any other idea of rope magic or other stuff with Dean's Box ?
Smile Smile Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cut and restored rope. Knots appear in rope.

Think of olde Sprit Cabinet items, words appear on a slate, a card rises (not seen, do it when door closed)...

Now it is your turn to think.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
Thanks guys - more insight for my brain on mystery... much appreciated
:)
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2784 Posts

Profile of John Long
Sticking with the link/unlink theme:

- you can make the ropes unlink(2 methods, related to phases I & II)
- use the Nana's Neclace principle to allow the ropes to pass thru a ball & the box
- use the string thru neck principle to get thin cords to pass thru a wand that is placed between the side holes

Non-linking
I also came up with a simple way to get 2 ropes, each of a different color, to each turn into a 2 colored rope.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Sorry you didn't like the ending with the spirit hand.

Something that I didn't put on the dvd but did tinker with was the idea of telling the audience that the effect was done by tying special knots in the rope. During the last phase...I had the ropes examined and body loaded a giant ball of rope about 5 inches in diameter that looked like a giant knot. Then I did the last phase and at the end ...revealed a giant knot of rope inside the box. The knot can be loaded with the right misdirection much like a cups and balls load.

Maybe this will offer an alternitive you can explore.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Buy a second box, fill it with cement and do a switch... Smile
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
To the lay audience Dean's box wows em
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
You are right Terry, the wow factor is high. Magicians I have shown it to aren't nearly as impressed as the uninitiated to magic folks are. Most magic friends have commented to me it's overpriced but still, it is one of my favorite closeup tricks to perform for folks.

Snidini
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean's Box fools magicians so bad they buy it just to learn how it works! Smile
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
I must agree that it fooled me so bad I'm now in the market for one. Even though I now know how it is done and I could likely do it with a cardboard box (except for the third stage), I think the investment will be worth it.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Put your tied together silks into the box with ends out the sides and do your 21st century silks. Let specs pull on the silks. This makes it valid for kids shows while the rope routines suggested by Dean work better with older kids and adults.
Steve V
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 10:47, Airborne Ranger wrote:
I must agree that it fooled me so bad I'm now in the market for one. Even though I now know how it is done and I could likely do it with a cardboard box (except for the third stage), I think the investment will be worth it.

With a little creativity and that special little thing you probably could even do stage three with a corrugated cardboard box. Think about it. It might be fun to try. Possibly a great street routine.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
That may be interesting. I have to try the third stage with a regular cardboard box.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Dean's Box: a Famous Magician showed this to me a few weeks ago. To be fair, he hadn't had it long, and he fumbled a little in phase 1. It sort-of impressed me, but not in a "wow" way, because I could imagine, very vaguely, how it might be done. I then looked at the online video and after two or three replays and a bit of playing around with bits of string, the method seems pretty obvious and I can imagine how a bit of gimmicking would permit phase 3.

Now, I know most spectators won't go to the lengths I did, but for it to be a killer routine, it has to impress me more than than that. Equally, I read lots of testimonials to what a brilliant routine, magician-fooler etc that it is. This surprises me. I've seen several rope routines that impress me much more, which I still can't figure out (I don't know much about rope magic).

So I can only imagine that it takes a heck of a lot of practice and presentation-honing to get it to perfection. Is this the case?
Jolyon Jenkins
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No. Just smooth handling and confidence.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Perhaps the Slydini Knotted Silks would work well with the box. You could easily make it work with a Pogo Ball Routine--that could be spooky.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
????? What is a pogo ball?

Something I did only once, during a dealer-demo, was showing a CC-knife. It seemed to have a red color when held in the box. The moment it was withdrawn from the curtain it became white. I was just doing this to kill some time, but the magicians who were watching me play were very amused by the reactions of two laypeople. The laypeople offered to put other objects in the box to see what color it would get. mwahaha!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Pogo Ball is a trick in which a styrofoam ball is placed beside a glass in a box. The door to the box is momentarily closed, and instantly opened, but the ball is now resting quietly inside the glass--spooky!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Deans Box revisited...Please??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL