The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Written Book on Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MPHanson
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MPHanson
What I DON'T mean by this is the best book of magic, or even necessarily a book containing effects. It could be fiction, or the history of magic, or something philosophical, or whatever. I'm also not referring simply to a book that best "captures" the field of magic (thought that would be interesting too). I mean the most literate book written around the theme of magic (as an art/tradition, that is, not Harry Potter magic). Since I'm new to this, I can't give my own recommendations; I'm just looking for things to read that will deepen my aesthetic appreciation of magic.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
For me, OUR MAGIC by John Nevil Maskelyn.

As I thought OUR MAGIC is one of most important books for magicians, I started translating it on my site. Mr.Maric, the today's No.1 Japanese magician, read it and invited me to publish it in the book form. It was realized very soon, and I am working with Mr.Maric at Japan Cardicians School.

Hideo Kato
MPHanson
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MPHanson
Thank you for that fascinating choice!

Mike Hanson
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
For an enjoyable read about a period of history in magic and some very intresting magicians of the period, I definately reccomend "Hiding The Elephant" by Jim Steinmeyer. Excellent book.

I just started reading Steinmeyers book about Chung Ling Soo, it's shaping up to be a nice read as well.

I do believe "Hiding the Elephant" fits your description above; "literate book written around the theme of magic (as an art/tradition, that is, not Harry Potter magic)." It's also available at your local bookstore in paperback.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
MPHanson
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MPHanson
Yes, this is very much the kind of thing I was thinking of, thanks! Now it's off to Amazon for me...
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
I agree, "Hiding the Elephant" is excellent. You can't go wrong there.

K
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There are some good biographies out there.-
Chung ling Soo, or Dai Vernon
I can recommend "Phantoms of the Card Table"
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
"Hiding the Elephant" is an excellent read, it's true. I very much enjoyed "Carter Beats the Devil" as well. I read it before I started out in magic and found it more or less unputdownable. Highly recommended.

Nick
Nick
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
I forgot about "Carter Beats the Devil". Excellent book and easy to read.

K
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I have to admit, I didn't really care for "Carter Beats The Devil" myself. That said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it because reading is fundamental. But that one left me cold. I think we'd all agree of the two "Hiding the Elephant' is a much better book. Or maybe we wouldn't agree, but that my $.02 worth.

Vandy
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
"Phantoms of the Card Table" was truly brilliant! I strongly suggest it!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
GrumpyOwl
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of GrumpyOwl
Eugene Poinc's The Practitioner is a good read.

Also Magic & Meaning by Eugene Burger and Robert Neale talks about history of magic, going back to the Shamans etc, and philosophy.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Agreed Owl, probably the best book on magic, with some fantastic effects, is Eugene Burger's book. Great thinking.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
See also Paul Curry's "Magician's Magic" - excellent, very readable. Gives a potted history of magic and illusion and includes some great effects - including OOTW.

Nick
Nick
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Well, Thanks! I'll try to get a copy of Hiding The Elephant.
MPHanson
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MPHanson
Wow, what a fantastic selection! I wouldn't have known of any of these without the pointers. Thanks and thanks!

Mike
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
I would not reccomend this book to you as you are just starting off, but The Book of Secrets by John Carney really got me thinking on how not to think like a magician. It has both brilliantly routines effects and thoughtful chapters on theory. Something to serriously think about reading once you have your ground work down.

Hiding the Elephant is also at the top of my list! I even get my non-magician buddies to read it.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I also liked phantoms of the card table.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I finished Jim Steinmeyers latest offering;

"The Glorious Deception: The Double Life of William Robinson, aka Chung Ling Soo, the "Marvelous Chinese Conjurer""

I recommend it.

Vandy
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I would recommend "Strong Magic" and "Magic of Ascanio".

I recently finished "Strong Magic", which I felt was both an entertaining and educational read. I just started on the book "Magic of Ascanio", which so far has been excellent.

I also enjoyed the various essays and ramblings in "Art of Astonishment"... I wish Paul Harris would compile his thoughts and conversations (with other magicians) into a book.

All of these offered some great insight into magic.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Written Book on Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL