We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Written Book on Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
maiglesias
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of maiglesias
Now that I've read the Glorious Deception by Jim Steinmeyer I heartily endorse it as the best written book in magic. He writes with erudition and he weaves a facinating tale of magic and the allied arts at the end of the nineteenth century. It is truly a captivating read. As far as teaching books, Minch's Carneycopia is very well written and explains tricks thoroughly, in addition to providing excellent essays on the performance of magic.
Marcos Iglesias MD
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I find it strange that no one has mentioned, Tarbell course in magic! I think this is one of the best books on this wonderful art. It has a lot of very valuable information. I would say most of the people publishing books and DVDs started out with this book!

Mike
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Bar none, Darwin Ortiz' Strong Magic

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Christian Chelman's Capricornian Tales
Banachek's Psychological Subtleties
Corinda's 13 steps
Houdin's Memoirs
Sam Dala et al Swami and Mantra
Osterlind's Making magic real
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-07-11 17:27, Michaelrice wrote:

I find it strange that no one has mentioned, Tarbell course in magic!

Mike

If you had read the posters original question you wouldn't find it strange. I find it strange that people would suggest things like Banachek's Psychological Subtleties and Tarbell. I don't think the guy was looking for textbooks but maybe I misread the question.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Sorry! My mistake.

Mike
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
No apology needed. Just trying to give the poster what he was looking for. Hopefully he'll check out all the suggestions eventually.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Nick Az
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Nick Az
I've been reading through Hiding the Elephant and I must say it really has a great element on magic but it could be read with interest by more than just magicians.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
Sach's Sleight of Hand
MPHanson
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MPHanson
Right-o, Vandy -- I'm steadily working through the fundamentals (e.g., Mark Wilson, RRTCM, Bobo, et al); just looking, here, to add depth and texture to the whole enterprise (and the suggestions offered have REALLY helped! FWIW, I'm into "Hiding the Elephants" at present).

Mike
DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
I have read many books on magic that teach "how to do it", but there are a couple that really stand out when I just want to prop up my boots by the fire and read just for the fun of it.

Right now, I am reading Jim Steinmeyer's Chung Ling Soo biography, "Glorious Deception". I enjoyed his "Hiding The Elephant", but am enjoying this one more. Because it is mainly about one magician, instead of many, it is easier to get caught up in the "plot", and to care about what happens to the main character.

The other book that I really got caught up in was "Carter Beats The Devil", by Glen David Gold. Dudes, I couldn't put that one down. I wish I hadn't already ready it so that I could experience it for the first time.

Dusty Dave
blueboy7948
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of blueboy7948
Im about half way through Carter Beats the Devil right now and its a great novel.
Another fovourite read of mine was the Illustrated History of Magic by Christopher Milbourne.
I also had a copy of a book from the library onece that was full of posters from people like Thurston, Chung Ling soo, Kellar etc there was nothing to read but I love the posters from that golden age of magic. Sorry I cant remember the title or the author but I think it was something like "Magic Posters". It was a while ago when I had it.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I read Carter beats The Devil and it is interesting.

Anabelle
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Hah I just bought hiding the elephant. it is turning out pretty good. I too recommend it.
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
I would go with Robert-Houdin's autobiography. Some of the stories in there are amazing and it is a very lively read by one of the giants of magic. It's available on the internet at lybrary.com and you can also find it free on the web. With the lybrary.com edition is setup so you can have your computer read it aloud to you. There is also an interesting appendix on the magic performed by the marabout's (sort of a village imam with little or no theological training) to impress people . My Egyptian buddy said that the marabouts still perform magic tricks when business is slow in the village. Thank god for the web because the book is out of print and the paperback edition is around 30.00 dollars.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I am about halfway through "The Glorious Deception," Steinmeyer's book on Chung Ling Soo. What really bumped this to the top of my must-read list was a no-holds-barred rave by Teller on NPR. It is a wonder! The world of magic was a small one in those days. Will Robinson worked with the Davenport Brothers, Harry Kellar and Alexander Herrmann before becoming Chung Ling Soo. It is marvelously written. Just go read this, you will be glad that you did.

I also have "The Silence of Chung Ling Soo," and I can just disappear into the art of his marvelous posters that are lovingly reproduced there. This is by far the best art from the Golden Age of Magic. The writing is journalistic, and there are some important documents reprinted here, but the writing can't touch Steinmeyer.

Yours,

Paul
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
"The Magician and the Cardsharp" is a great read on the Vernon's hunt for a mysterious cardsharp(Allen Kennedy) who can deal centers. The author, Karl Johnson, does a great job of sucking you in to the story of this great chase.

I plan on reading "The Glorious Deception" next, the reviews sound great.
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
I just got "HIding the Elephant" fro my local library, brand new, hard cover. It looks like a good read.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
One of the first book I read was The Master Magicians ,Their Lifes and Famous Tricks by Walter Gibson . This is a good book of many magicians including Houdini,
Thusrston, Kellar , and Chung Ling Foo. This is an old book but I think it been reprinted . I also read both of Steinmeyer's books and think they are both worth reading, he does a great job with his story line.
Alson
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
I would recomend the Fitzkee Trilogy (Showmanship for Magicians, The Trick Brain, and Magic By Misdirection). These books really talk about the performance of magic and how it has changed while teaching you how you should be performing it. I HIGHLY reccomend these books.
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Written Book on Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL