The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Entertainment Trivia Quiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Oh, wait, Scott, I seem to remember something about the term having to do with theaters, but I don't remember in what context. I think it's similar to saying, "Dressed to the nines." and that term had to do with a certain area in a theater in which you could be seen by the rest of the audience so people dressed up when they were in the nines.
I've got a vague memory of this, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for.
This talk of theaters reminds me of the statement, "He stole my thunder." Can anyone guess where that statement originated?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do (did) people throw peanuts from their seats when displeased?

Is there also a salad bar where they throw veggies?

An egg row?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 09:45, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Do (did) people throw peanuts from their seats when displeased?

Is there also a salad bar where they throw veggies?

An egg row?

That's it! I can use that part of my brain now. It was something like the cheaper seats and people there ate peanuts and used them to throw at the bad acts. Hey, at least you got some food while on stage.

Greg
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That just leaves number 8, and I believe that actor who pretended to drown was W.C. Fields.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Good one Vandy ! That was a tough one.
I believe he used to do it at Atlantic City when Atlantic City was THE place to be.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
REALLY??? I just made that up. LOL. I know WC was a juggler but I just made up the drowning thing. If it does turn out to be WC Fields, I'll eat my hat. LOL

I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy-WC Fields.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I just looked it up. I swear that I pulled the name WC Fields out of the air. Now I look and it appears that he really did that. I must have heard it somewhere. Trivia is really my strong suit so I guess it was filed away in my head somewhere. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

Now where is my hat?

Vandy
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Yeah but you didn't phrase it in the form of a question.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 12:21, Lambertmoon wrote:
Yeah but you didn't phrase it in the form of a question.

True that. I usually do answer in the form of a question just out of habit. I've watched a million episodes of jeopardy. I'm going to try for the show next time they come through on a talent search. I should have done it ten years ago when my mind was super sharp, but I still think I could hold my own.

Thanks for the questions Scott.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Starting with #8, Vandy Grift got it - it was W.C. Fields.

Concerning #9, here's the full story. During the 1880s, in the heyday of vaudeville, the least expensive seats were known as the gallery (also the "nosebleed" seats, since they were up so high and so far away). The crowd who sat in these seats tended to be the most critical and vocal. Since the most popular theater snack in this section was roasted peanuts, their criticisms became known as "comments from the peanut gallery".

For this question, I guess we'll have to split the credit between Jonathan and Greg.

Quote:
On 2005-06-28 12:25, Vandy Grift wrote:
Thanks for the questions Scott.

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed them!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Hey! whattabout the last two flags? All I can think of are US, Mexico, the confederacy, Spain, and the short-lived independent republic of Texas itself. That's only five (assuming the fith one is correct)
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 03:42, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Hey! whattabout the last two flags? All I can think of are US, Mexico, the confederacy, Spain, and the short-lived independent republic of Texas itself. That's only five (assuming the fith one is correct)

Fannie & Randall... Smile

Greg
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
If anybody is wondering my answer (post number 2) is the guy the played "Squints" in the Sandlot. He pretended to drown so that Wendy Prefercorn Would save him.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 03:42, The Mighty Fool wrote:

Peep this;

Texas Under Spain. 1519-1685; 1690-1821
Texas Under France. 1685-1690
Texas Under Mexico. 1821-1836
Texas as a Republic. 1836-1845
Texas in the Confederacy. 1861-1865
Texas in the US. 1845-1861; 1865-Present
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Entertainment Trivia Quiz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL