The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What to do when you opener bombs ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
My second night at my restaurant walk-around and I had a total bomb table. Three older ladies were at the table and they had finished up their dinner so I seized the opening and introduced myself and asked if they would like some magic and they said yes. So I did my standard sponge bunny opener and it fell flat as a lead balloon. They where not rude, they just had no response to the effect at all. It became quickly evident either they did not want see any magic or the sponge bunnies just don't do it for them. I felt like a fish out of water at that point. So I just finished up the conversation and bid them adieu.

Anyone have any tips or suggestion on how to recover? Or did I take the right action by finishing up the set?
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Tricky. I find when strolling, you more often than not come across a group in the night who do not really react. Do not be discouraged - it happens (as long as it does not happen all that often - if that is the case, maybe the performance needs polihing).

when you do find a group like this, sometimes they need a bit of coaxing to get into it - generally I would do a couple more effects, but try something you feel would appeal more to them - perhaps sponge balls on a group of older ladies was not right (I cannot comment on them of course, but this needs to be thought about - flexibility is crucial).

However, if nothing happens, and they start to lose interest, politely wish them a good night and move on to another group, who I am sure will be more than delighted to watch you perform.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Next time check for a pulse,...they might have all been dead.
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Michael Seay
View Profile
New user
Northern California
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Seay
Quote:
On 2005-06-27 13:52, Sonny Vegas wrote:
Next time check for a pulse,...they might have all been dead.

LOL. Now that was funny.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Actually they were asking me if I knew any single men for one of the gals at the table. They where quite nice but not into the effect. I am not discouraged, I will be back there july 10th.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Magic Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Sam
Hmm.. I've had that happen a few times, and it's tough. Especially at a restaurant, unless it's something really incredible, some people just want their food and won't enjoy any entertainment.
I can only suggest to have several openers and make your routine flexible, as sjdavison said. Also, don't open with sponge bunnies (my opinion only). I'm sure many people swear by them, but unless you're doing Slydini's four ball routine, it's not captivating enough for the serious crowd. Try coins; everyone likes money. Good luck! Smile
Magic is like a party in your eyes, where everyone's drunk and breaking the furniture
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Then perhaps you should just talk with them, or maybe you need to practice the effect more.

Some tables that want to see magic, want really just to interact and talk to you, and don't care about the tricks... it sucks if you are doing magic to boost your ego, but it is relaxing if you are there to help the resturant, because you can talk to them, making them happy and giving you a rest from finger flicking.

Just some thoughts... other than talking to them, moving on is the best option... best not to subject them to magic they don't want to see(for whatever reason, perhaps they had just got done seeing Bill Malone earlier that day...)
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2005-06-27 15:08, paymerich wrote:
Actually they were asking me if I knew any single men for one of the gals at the table...

Maybe they were hoping you'd provide magic of a different kind Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A fantastic way to avoid this is to avoid cold calling tables. This can be done by a flyer, a little intro from the wait staff. Make them ask to see you in other words. This is the reason I stopped cold calling on tables in the first place. Sometimes they say yes to be polite, but then are not too polite when working. Nobody in their right mind will spacifically ask to see you only to be polite, so you know you have more receptive customers. Get the staff behind you and your golden. THey already have a relationship with the tables so if they follow their recomendation for food, why not entertainment?E-mail me if you want to see what I mean by a flyer
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Quote:
On 2005-06-27 15:08, paymerich wrote:
Actually they were asking me if I knew any single men for one of the gals at the table. They where quite nice but not into the effect. I am not discouraged, I will be back there july 10th.

WOW,...you could have made money "turnin' tricks"
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
3 older ladies, and you opened by pulling little foamy shapes of rabbits out of your pockets? Perhaps that's the problem. If you have the same opener for each table, regardless of age, how well-educated they appear, how large the group is, etc, you my want to re-think that.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 12:43, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
3 older ladies, and you opened by pulling little foamy shapes of rabbits out of your pockets? Perhaps that's the problem. If you have the same opener for each table, regardless of age, how well-educated they appear, how large the group is, etc, you my want to re-think that.

I thought that same thing Joshua ,thats why have Doc eason's Nuts and bolts opener also . Don't know why I did not pull that one out to start with.

I do quite a bit of chatting with people before starting the magic during and after the effects ( almost to much chatting). Also they had just gotten the check to go .

To the response of turning new tricks , well my wife would not appreciate that .. unless it was a lot of money then she would not care .. J/K

I like the flyer idea a lot and I have started to become friendly with the wait staff there.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
All screwed-up is a classic example of flexibilty...
ie. the same trick could be done with...

Coins - gadabout to clean across (mixed group)
A fuller routine with shelled peanuts and an unshelled peanut kicker...
Classic all screwed-up with nuts/bolts to holey moley (hardware theme - guys)
Sweets with a final wrapped sweet to hand out (children)

Patter can be switched to fit the group... let's say you only have coins...

Gadabout - one coin is female other 2 male - male goes in the pocket - jumps back out to get back to the girl.... girl in pocket - all the males jump into the pocket... even coins across - each hand is a room - the girl escapes to the other room, one by one the males follow... Smile simple is simple does Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I think your opener never really bombed. I guess those old ladies were impressed albeit silently compared to other people who freak out when they see magic.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
I always start off with a real quick opener that can't bomb, for example I use 'Your Name Here' where my name appears on my name tag and immediately reach for my fire wallet. When the wallet bursts into flames I have got everyones attention 100%. However, I don't know about the restrictions of fire in your environment?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hey man, I do the rabbits at basically every single table as my opener regardless of age, race, creed, color, or nationality for 2 nights a week for a year (which isn't as long when compared to some workers in here). It's a trick that's easily understood and plays for any age for various reasons. It usually gets a HUGE reaction even if the crowd doesn't speak english. Sometimes people don't know how to react or maybe they just didn't care about really seeing the magic that night...they were on a mission, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. We usually get so caught up in the bad tables that we fail to recognize all of the good work we do. How did the rest of the tables react?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 12:43, Joshua Lozoff wrote:

I would also suggest that you add different openers to your reportoire. Different spectators afford different magic effects.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Every other table and the restaurant staff ( includig the cook who "knows" how all magic is done ) had wonderful reactions .. I do the bunnies as a love story theme. and every one so far enjoys that.
One thing I forgot to mention is that asked me if I was Psychic or fortune teller . I said no and maybe that let them down .. It got me thinking I am going to setup a "fortune telling" deck ala the oracle trick I found on Learned Pig . its got a hoot ending and helps break the mood of seriousness.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Not everyone in the universe wants to see magic tricks. This is something we should all keep in mind. It doesn't mean the magic is bad or that the performer was not engaging. It just means "wrong time, wrong place".

Personally, I like to use an opener that can guage the mood of the table. Just one trick that shows off some magic and, based on the groups reaction, can be used to lead into other routines or can allow you to leave gracefully if they aren't in the mood. I don't agree with the idea that if your opener bombs you should try a couple other tricks to turn things around.

You did say a couple interesting things. First, even though they gave no response to your magic they engaged you in conversation (asking if you knew any single men). That's an indication that their lack of reaction had more to do with their lack of interest rather than your skills or performance character. It's also a great opener for some light banter before you leave for another table. Second, they asked if you were a fortune teller. That's also another potential opener that can lead back into magic. Do a mentalist effect or some cold reading and you might be able to swing them back into magic.

Steve
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
You have just learned the First Truth about show business - EVERYONE bombs sometime and everyTHING bombs sometime.

Once upon a time, a magician came into Magic, Inc and said that he'd come from doing a show for the worst audience he'd ever worked for. They ignored him, talked over his presentation, didn't laugh at his jokes and several of them got up and went out to the bar to freshen up their drinks during his performance.

The magician was exasperated and asked the late Dean of the Society of American Magicians, Jay Marshall, what he would have done in the same situation. Jay looked at him and, without missing a beat, said: "About twenty minutes," and went into the back of the shop.

Some days you just won't go over big. That's showbiz. Don't let it get you down. It happens to everybody.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What to do when you opener bombs ?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL