The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Practical Card Palming by Bob White (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1952 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 17:59, evolve629 wrote:
I have Mike Close's Power Of Palming dvd. However, I think my handicap (i.e. a small hand) will prevent me from palming. I just ain't happenin' no matter what palming technique I try. It's the reality and I just have to say palming is not my pal.

You should see Lee Ashers girly hands.... he uses to have a link on his site where you can compare your hands to his and they are pretty small... I won't even bother mentioning what he does with cards..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
So MagicChris, how many tricks that utilise palming do you do? Do you not agree, that the more information one assimilates on a subject the better informed you will be? Granted, that with Mike Close's material alone you could learn enough about palming to be expert. However, the palming techniques that he teaches may not be suitable for some people!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
While I've yet to see the video, Bob is surely one of the unsuung masters of magic. His work is top notch.
Find out about my magic:
http://www.freewebs.com/aaronshields
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 16:42, Paul H wrote:
Oh dear. I was just approaching that mythical state of mind known as 'consolidation' ie no more purchases. Looks like I'll be reaching for the checkbook again. Is there no end????

Regards,

Paul H

Paul,

If you are REALLY serious about consolidating, just ship any magic item you want to get rid of over to me. I am always willing to help out a fellow magician in any way I can. (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Mr White,

I appreciate an artist that makes tact one of his tools. I also appreciate your willingness to answer questions.

My comment to those who wonder why we need another DVD... You could thrive with owning one cookbook, and many people do. Others collect them for the joy of learning new techniques.

Martino's review and Mike Squires comments would seem to indicate that this DVD does more than provide a basic way to fry an egg.

It's great to have so much info available from the creator(s)
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 10:57, Martino wrote:
So MagicChris, how many tricks that utilise palming do you do? Do you not agree, that the more information one assimilates on a subject the better informed you will be? Granted, that with Mike Close's material alone you could learn enough about palming to be expert. However, the palming techniques that he teaches may not be suitable for some people!

I don't do tricks: I perform magiocal effects. To do so, I use the Gampblers Cop, Erdnase bottom palm and Vernon's top palm.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Tricks, Effects! Tomato, tomato (I realise that doesn't carry to well). Semantics.

If one wished to learn a new trick/magical effect, is it not better to study as many different versions of that effect as possible to help in your learning process?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
It has often been said by many of the masters in magic that palming is one of the essential tools of card magic. However how often does one really use card palming? Look at all of the (often inferior) methods created to "avoid" palming. Many are scared to use it. Many who use it do it poorly and "tell". Bob White is truly a master at card palming (and at magic in general). His palming is simply undetectable. His work and his thinking is HIGHLY regarded by such luminaries as Bill Malone, Eric DeCamps, Roger Klause, etc.and for good reason.

I would encourage one not to think they should get one source for learning ANY move but instead should gather as much knowledge they can about a particular move or routine they are going to work on. Carney, Close, Ackerman, etc. all have something important to impart. Since this thread is focusing on Bob White's DVD I can strongly recommend this DVD. Bob imparts thoughts, advice, etc. that show that he has thought about palming for years, that he has used it in the trenches, and that he has also examined what is being done "wrong" with palming.

Bob will have other teaching DVDs out that I am not at liberty to discuss at present but I can assure you that if Bob is putting anything out you should own it and study it.

Tim Trono
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
I second Mr. Trono. You won't go wrong learning anything of Bob White's.

I've known Bob for more years that either of us want to think about and he has releasesd information he has been holding on to for years.

The only palm common to all four DVDs (White, Close, Carney, Ackerman) is the Vernon Top Palm.White and Ackerman are the only ones to explain the Berg Palm,

The title of Bob White's DVD, "Practical Card Palming", says it all.

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Disclosure: I am listed in the credits of this DVD, but it's just a thanks for some logistical things -- primarily moving a plant and setting some furniture. Smile

That said, this DVD, which I have finally watched from stem to stern, does contain some amazing teaching, and I think anyone interested in palming cards will benefit from the information it contains. Further, I'll predict that in a year or so, you'll be able to tell, just by watching, who has studied this video and who hasn't.

Learning from this video is the closest thing to getting personal instruction that I have seen on the market. It's definitely worth the effort that it takes to study the material.

FWIW.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
I have Ackermans, Close's, Carney's and the Vernon set (Which has a volume on palming and all these are excellent but I love getting as many DVD (I can afford) on something I want to learn. If Mr.Trono say's you can't go wrong, I'm sold.
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
Mr.Trono has excellent taste. You will like the DVD.Happy palming:)

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Got the DVD, watched the DVD, re-watched the DVD, LOVE THE DVD!!!!!!! You will not be wasting away your hard money on this excellent DVD!
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 14:26, MagicChris wrote:
And Daryl teaches palming. Hmmm. How about we get 1000 peices of info on palming. Then will we know what to do? Sheesh. The Close video is enough for you to have a career with cards in effects that use the palm.

Obviously, you haven't seen Bob's DVD. Bob teaches techniques that, in performance, have absolutely no "tells." Each palm is taught from the audience view and from the view of the performer, as well.

More important, though is the information on palming management. He has his own opinions of what will destroy a perfectly good palm. He is right.

He starts the DVD with his version of the Cards up the Sleeve. He does not explain it on the DVD. He leaves it to you to figure out what is necessary to accomplish the work. If you are reasonably sharp, you will.

Bob teaches 11 different palms and two different replacements. And he gives a piece of advice from Charlie Miller that, if you don't know it, is worth the price of the DVD.

If you do know it, and you aren't doing it, you need to be reminded.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
213 Posts

Profile of bill7
GOOD WORK MR. WHITE.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Its true! Its soooo funny when Mr White states 'this is how it looks...' and like, NOTHING HAPPENS! His handling is near invisible, its just looks exactly like he is squaring the deck.

Also, I really enjoyed his cards-up-the-sleeve routine to start the DVD. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
My reason for making another is to contribute additional information that neither has made available on their DVDs. Anyone who has a sincere interest in learning everything they possibly can about card palming will study all three and come to their own conclusions as to what are the best techniques and what works best for them.

My customers were wanting this DVD, and that is how it was brought to my attention. I sold out quickly on my initial stock and had to order more immediatly. I even had to put my personal copy I had set aside for myself, back onto the shelves. Smile

Once my next shipment of stock arrived, I grabbed my copy immediatly. Smile Excellent material here Bob. I am satisfied with this purchase, and so are my customers. Smile
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Practical Card Palming by Bob White (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL