We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Practical Card Palming by Bob White (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
630 Posts

Profile of JordanB
To quote the back of this DVD "This volume contains the most practical techniques and management for palming cards. Anyone can study these explanations and learn to palm cards from the pack with complete confidence under any performing conditions".

Bob White has been studying the art of card palming for over 45 years. In this volume he imparts what he has found to be the most practical and useful palms in his vast experience. After having viewed and studied these methods I have to agree with him.

The DVD opens with a performance of Mr. White performing Cards up the Sleeve, he then imparts some advice regarding palming position and palming management. He goes on to describe in detail twelve different top and bottom palms, and concludes the DVD with some advice on replacements and palming while standing. In Mr. White's hands these palms are indetectable, and he explains how to make your palms indetectable. It contains several techniques on managing the palms, and making them look natural. This advice is key to making the palms indetectable. The instructions are clear and are clearly shown on the film. It is filmed as though he was sitting across the table teaching you these palms. The director and sound editor did an excellent job with the audio and video layout on the DVD.

The palms described are the:

Simple Erdnase Top Palm
Topping the Deck
Tip Up Palm
Berg Palm
Erdnase Top Palm
White Top Palm
One Hand Top Palm
Lowey Palm
Erdnase Bottom Palm
Dead Hand Palm
Hofzinser Bottom Palm
Braue Bottom Palm

Sincerely,

Jordan Burgess

`
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Bob White was confidant to Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller. If you ever wanted to learn how to palm cards, now's your chance. You can reach Bob at rhwithe1@swbell.net.

Gary Plants
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
How does this compare to John Carney's "On Palming"?
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Looks good thanks for the review
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Who sells this DVD and for how much?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Mike, I think you can contact Bob at his email mentioned above.

Also, Hocus Pocus seems to carry it. Do a search on their site.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think Mike Close has a thorough mehtod(s) from Erdnase to Vernon, for palming on his Power Of Palming video/DVD. I doubt anyone ahs anything new on the subject.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
But the great thing about others covering the same material is that other insights and nuances are given that may help. We don't want to restrict to just one person having the final say on a move, mostly one as tricky as the palm.
Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
Bob White
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Bob White
I don't generally read or contribute to the various forums, but a friend sent me a link to the conversation about the DVD I just released. Mike Close & John Carney are both very good friend of mine and I didn't release a DVD to compete with either of them. My reason for making another is to contribute additional information that neither has made available on their DVDs. Anyone who has a sincere interest in learning everything they possibly can about card palming will study all three and come to their own conclusions as to what are the best techniques and what works best for them.

My palming DVD will be reviewed in Magic & Genii Magazine soon. Those reviews may help end some of the speculataion what is new and different, what is good, and what is not so good, on the one I am releasing.

Should anyone have question on the content, I may be reached at rhwhite1@swbell.net or telephone 903-872-5112. I will be glad to answer any question

Warmest Regards,
Bob White
Bob White
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
630 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Watching this video can only make your palms more deceptive, regardless of whether the palms were learned originally from a book written 103 years ago or from a DVD put out ten years ago. If you are just learning to palm cards, it will teach you the mechanics of the move and help you avoid some of the mistakes that can be made when palming. If you already know the mechanics of a palm, it will offer additional technique and insight into the move that isn't available from another source. If you are hesitant to purchase or wish to read a review in a magazine, the DVD should be reviewed soon in both MAGIC and Genii.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have Mike Close's Power Of Palming dvd. However, I think my handicap (i.e. a small hand) will prevent me from palming. I just ain't happenin' no matter what palming technique I try. It's the reality and I just have to say palming is not my pal.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Malini's hands were very small and he apparently palmed cards all the time.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hand size does not matter. Elton John, who has the smallest hand of any piano player ever, is a mster. But, there are wanna be piano players that fall back on this excuse.

Palming dvd's are like cups and ball dvd's: someone is going to release their take on it.

The Mike Close one is all you need if you have that. If you do have it and are not palming, than another new will not help you.

Mike Squires
View Profile
New user
Dallas
56 Posts

Profile of Mike Squires
Disclosure: I worked on the DVD. Therefore, I will not compare it to other marketed products. I’ll leave that to others.

The impetus for creating this DVD was to clearly show methods for palming cards from the top and bottom of the deck into each hand in a practical manner. Further, a number of popular palming techniques were discarded (some having made it all the way to editing, but ultimately excluded) due to the final judgment of the author that they were not practical for a number of reasons.

This DVD serves the purpose of showing the correct way to execute the above listed palms (listed by JordanB), with several tips that are worth their weight in gold. The texts that each of the palms was drawn from come alive. Many of the common mistakes made by magicians while palming are addressed and corrected, making this a valuable resource for every level of cardman. Also, Mr. White talks about what to do once you’ve got the card in your hand all the way up until you get rid of it.

A funny aside (funny to me): while authoring the DVD, we experimented with using short video displays of each of the palms as menu buttons to guide the viewer to the palm they were wishing to learn. However, Mr. White palmed the cards so well, all the buttons looked the same. They all looked like he “squared the cards and then put them on the table.”

The work is expert. It is accessible on all levels. Mr. Kopf shot it as if you were sitting at a table with Mr. White and he was teaching you the real work. Everyone can learn something from this work.

Evolve623, I would encourage you to continue pursuing palming. Many people with small hands have found methods that work for them when palming.

Mike Squires
My New User status suggests that I've generally known when to keep my mouth shut.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Does the DVD discuss replacing palmed cards at all? I find this to be an area that is largely neglected.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Mike Squires
View Profile
New user
Dallas
56 Posts

Profile of Mike Squires
Yes, Paul. It discusses two methods of replacement. Both back to the top and to the bottom.

Mike Squires
My New User status suggests that I've generally known when to keep my mouth shut.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
I just received this DVD. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but last night I did a quick excercise and reviewed the different types of palming techniques taught on this DVD vs John Carney's works and Michael Close's works. Very briefly, here is what I found.

There are only 2 techniques which are taught by all 3:-

The Vernon Topping the Deck Palm
The Erdnase Bottom Palm

Bob White and John Carney both teach the Erdnase top palm.
John Carney and Michael Close bot teach the Gamblers Cop

Other than the techniques mentioned above there are an additional 19 techniques that do not appear in the others published works.

Please note that I am not just referring to DVD's here but to printed material as well.

I was surprised that out of the 3 "Palming Masters", Mike Close teaches the fewest palming techniques (7).

Personally, I believe that if you want to become expert at palming playing cards, you should study the works of all 3 gentlemen, plus as many other resources as you can find. Then find the techniques that work best for you.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Let's not forget Allan Ackerman's DVD on palming as well.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
And Daryl teaches palming. Hmmm. How about we get 1000 peices of info on palming. Then will we know what to do? Sheesh. The Close video is enough for you to have a career with cards in effects that use the palm.

Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1133 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Oh dear. I was just approaching that mythical state of mind known as 'consolidation' ie no more purchases. Looks like I'll be reaching for the checkbook again. Is there no end????

Regards,

Paul H
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Practical Card Palming by Bob White (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL