The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 1894 Handcuff Article (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I found a nice 5 page article in the Strand Magazine from 1894. Some nice pictures too. Also, later on, there is a story on burglars and they show some lockpicks/skeleton keys.

I don't collect this end, but I see the rest of you are hot for it.

See! I just don't have Houdini junk around here. Smile

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
lauher
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
51 Posts

Profile of lauher
The article Kevin mentions is an interesting one since it is the earliest known article on handcuffs. The article is simply entitled: Handcuffs, and is written and illustrated by Inspector Maurice Moser.

Joe
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

That's the one! Joe is right on top of it. And Joe has a great website too!

Speaking of old, When is the first appearance in print of an escape artist? I don't mean the Davenports. One that performed as an escape artist.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The closest that I know of before Houdini was probably Major Zamora, the 'Triple Jointed Dwarf' (or triple jointed wonder). He was a dwarf contortionist in dime museums who included a routine where he was roped, chained, handcuffed and locked into an upright box, and escaped.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Is there anything in print on him? When did he perform?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
He performed in New York in the late 1890s. He is referred to in Christopher's "Panorama of Magic" (the book has been renamed, though I don't remember the new title), and in the 'enterology' chapter of Ricky Jay's "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women."
The Christopher book shows a handbill of Zamora, showing him bound in the open box.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Has anyone been able to locate this guy on the internet.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I have an image of an escape artist from 1871. It's from a London magazine. I never saw or heard of anyone before this date.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 1894 Handcuff Article (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL