The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Gags (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What are some of your favourite one liners and gags to use at tables? I like Michael Finneys joke where he says 'Bear in mind I havent always wanted to be a magician, it was only when my sister came home one day and said she was earning $100 a trick, I said,...i gota try this'. Obviously it is aimed at adults not children and that is what I am after, things like that
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Have you ever held magicians balls
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Not a fan of 'gags' or pre-planned one liners - I prefer to ad-lib, and just go with I what I perceive the humour of the group to be.

I think forced gags can sound horrendously tacky - quick wit I believe is far more entertaining!

Just my thoughts, on what works for me though.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Not a fan of 'gags' or pre-planned one liners -

Gags and pre-planned lines can be very spontaneous used at the right moment! In several effects that I do, I ask certain questions. There is only a couple different answers that can actually be given...I have a "rehearsed" line for each answer...but they come off as adlibs since "there" is no possible way I can know the answer!

Mike
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I have the exact same experience as Mike, as I've described here.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
No the clean hand.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Did Finney give you permission to use his line?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 12:48, Pete Biro wrote:

Did I give Finney permission? Smile Been using that since 1977. (If by the way he publically prediates that I humbly apologize)
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
He says feel free to use anylines if it suits you, he says it because it fits him, but it might not work for others, and as for spontaneous remarks and gags as mike was saying, that's is also what I mean. Quick wit and a sharp mind a re needed. Bill Malone and Michael Finney are 2 of the best people I have seen for this type of humour
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Most of my ad-libs are designed to keep in character. Since I'm Chinese, I have have developed a nice oriental theme to much of my magic. However, since I'm also Canadian born, I do not speak the language. I try to incorporate this dichotomy into my character. Here are a few of the lines I have used from time to time.

"As you can see, I am Chinese - so, the rest of my show will be in subtitles."

"My mother always made me write my name on the inside of my clothes. For the longest time, I thought my name was Dry Clean Only."

"I'ld like to tell you a story of a great magician named Foo Ling Soo. You may have heard of him. He also had a very famous brother named Foo Lin Yu." (This is an intro to my Chinese Sticks effect).

"Do you like my outfit? I worked really hard on it. I'm really a 6 foot 3 black man in disguise."

"My parents call me a banana. Yellow on the outside and white on the inside."

Whenever anyone asks how I did a trick, the answer is always the same "Ancient Chinese Secret".

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Kent, those are funny! I especially like "Foo Lin Yu".

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks,

I figure it's better to make fun of myself instead of my audience. That also gives them permission to laugh along with me.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 12:48, Pete Biro wrote:

He doesn't need his permission. Gags, jokes, etc. are not copywrited.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Your partly right MagicChris, I think Mr Pen , I mean Biro , is try to say out of courtesy one should get permission
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I thought the clean hand joke was a "standard line" that's community property. Like gkfreed, I've also been using it (with a twist) since the 70's and I know many other magicians who do as well. Is this Finney's line?
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I think Pete was referring to a post that's already been deleted...
(not the clean hand gag)
Logic Defied
Magic Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Sam
-I'll finish this if it kills you (Gene Gordon I think)
-Have you done magic before...good, so if this doesn't work we'll blame you (me?)
-Take a card, no not that one (everyone)
-Please put out your finger... thanks for choosing that one (Doc Eason, sorry if I'm not supposed to use it)
-..when I snap my fingers, I'll have two balls..IN MY HAND [and you'll have none] (me? everyone I hope)

I'll think of more later. I don't see anything wrong with keeping certain lines for the right situations, especialy if you encounter these situations often enough. Most of the good lines started as on-the-spot cleverness anyway, right, so they are natural if used properly. Just my two [canadian] cents. Smile
Magic is like a party in your eyes, where everyone's drunk and breaking the furniture
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The clean hand gag was originally thought of by Walter Zaney Blaney... who really gets upset when he hears others use it.

I had a discussion about "so called stock lines" with Dai Vernon years ago... and THAT line came up and I said, "The right thing to do would be to either get permission - if you know who's it is - or RE-WRITE it..."

Thinking on it, I came up with this (although I don't use it).

"Hold out your hand... (look at hand, pause) Hmmmm... did you have a flat tire on the way here?"

:dice:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Danny Archer said a line once that broke me up. He was doing a trick that involved him smelling the hand of the gentleman spectator in order to locate a (I think) chosen card.

"Do you fish?"

One I have heard in the past was after placing sponge balls on the table, if a man grabs them, say, "I don't touch yours."

Generaly, ball jokes are too easy. The right audience will give them to you all day, but here's one I do use in the right crowd. During my Cups & Balls routine, I place the 3 cups rim-balanced on the balls, which are on the table. "The cups are now precariously balanced upon the balls, just like well trained seals in the circus."

Then I tap the cups so they cover the balls. "Now the cups cover the balls... just like well-trained atheletes."

A line that used to get BIG laughs with in comedy clubs, but is now far too dated and obsolete... During the return of a chosen card, "I'll stick it in, and you cut it. NO WAIT! That's how John Bobbit screwed up."

Kent (magicman845),

Your lines are great! Are you familiar with Henry Cho, the Korean/American comedian from Knoxville, Tennessee? Biologically, he is 100% oriental, but speaks like a full-blown hillbilly redneck. Funny guy!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Quote:
"My parents call me a banana. Yellow on the outside and white on the inside."

...funny - mine call me a coconut!
Logic Defied
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Gags (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL