We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Italian names (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Why in the past did magicians use Italian names?

fellow Italian, Vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Why do they use them in the present?
Smile
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Or, it might be to help utilize the excess of unused vowels to be found in some eastern European countries.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
For shows in which the audience was all or mainly magicians (lectures, conventions, etc.), I used to use the intorductory line:

"My name is Peter Marucci, one of the few magicians whose name really DOES end in a vowel."

Since it always got a laugh, maybe I should dust it off and use it again!
Smile
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Interesting question. It could date back to early Music Hall (or Vaudeville) times when many performers genuinely were Italian immigrants and had names ending in -ini. This format was copied to make unknown performers sound authentic. Just a guess.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thanks guys for the input.

VINCENZO 'VINNY' MARINI
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Zampese is my real last name, and it always suprises me how many people say, "With a name like that you should be a magician!" even if they don't know I do magic!

I suppose that doesn't really answer the question, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
ChrisZampese:

I am not Italian, I am Armenian. My name is Bascomb Grecian. I hear that as well "What is your real name?" I say, "That is my real name."

To answer your question, you ask this because you have the image in mind of "The Great Santini" or "The Great Houdini" Zambini , Davido, Etc. Italian names that also were magicians.

My thoughts
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Let's not forget my all time favorite...

The Great Suprendo!

:) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Italian names (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL