The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Royal Road To Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
Allright fellow magicians how are you all doing, Fine I hope. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to complete the Royal Road To Card Magic book. Thanks for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

Best and Kind Regards

Take Care all of you
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
It's not really a course as such but it would be difficult to learn all the sleights in under a year.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Like with anything, it depends on how dedicated you are and how much time you are willing to put into it. It also depends how quickly you learn. There are no shortcuts to mastering anything.

Generally for most things for most people, acquiring a competent technical skill in something takes between 6 months - a year. An advanced level skill can take up to 5 years. Mastering something can take a lifetime. Bare in mind this is a technical skill. Magic as you are probably aware is more than just about technical skills. These approximations are based on engaging in the activity on a regular basis.

Royal Road to Card Magic is a fairly acclaimed book. It however may not be to your liking. Imo it is a fairly dry book. If its not to your liking, don't give up and perhaps try other sources of learning.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
James,
I don't believe you can "complete the Royal Road To Card Magic book". You can read it in a couple of days (hours if you speed read) but what I find, with any magic reference, is that as my skills increase I can go back and get more out of the classic books.
Also, there are some items that don't suit my style or that I don't have a situation or patter for.
Perhaps you should focus on learning a bit at a time and build on the foundations that you make.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
pseudotheo
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
18 Posts

Profile of pseudotheo
I am currently reading the book as well and find that the best way for me to go through it is SLOWLY!

After I read a chapter (with cards in hand) I put the book down and then continue to practice what I had read. I don't plan to ever "get through" the book, it is much more of a refrence than a novel.
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Can someone tell me how Royal Road compares to other books by Jean Hugard - like Card Manipulations and Encyclopedia of card tricks? I currently own Manipulations and am rather disappointed in it. Its poorly illustrated and the wording isn't always clear enough for a beginner like me. Am I alone in this opinion? Everyone seems to praise RR, but I haven't risked ordering a copy just yet, based on my experiences with Manipulations... Smile
MttFrdrksn
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MttFrdrksn
It Seems to me from what I have heard on this and other forums that Manipulations and Expert Card Technique are more advanced treatises, and that Royal Road is geared more for beginners. I have yet to buy Royal Road but I have been looking in every local book store for it. Smile
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Royal Road is a classic of magic. However, it is a little dated in its style which makes it hard to read. You may want to check out Robert Giobbi's Card College books. They are "state of the art" books on sleight of hand with cards. There are four volumes all together and they are fairly expensive compared to Royal Road, but they are well worth it.

As you progress in card magic, you will at some point want to own a copy of Royal Road. Eventhough its a little dated, there is much value in the information it contains and it is well worth taking time to study it.

Good luck,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 11:35, Lithix wrote:
Can someone tell me how Royal Road compares to other books by Jean Hugard - like Card Manipulations and Encyclopedia of card tricks? I currently own Manipulations and am rather disappointed in it. Its poorly illustrated and the wording isn't always clear enough for a beginner like me. Am I alone in this opinion? Everyone seems to praise RR, but I haven't risked ordering a copy just yet, based on my experiences with Manipulations... Smile

Until a week ago, I didn't know I owned Card Manipulations. Then rummaging through some old boxes at my parents' house over Thanksgiving, I discovered a copy that I'd bought about 20 years ago -- and never used. (I was 12 at the time, so it's no wonder.)

Royal Road is infinitely more readable, and definitely more suited for a beginner. There is a progression in Royal Road -- you can basically start with no card knowledge at all, and within a short period of time be doing killer tricks. Card Manipulations has no such progression. It relies on you either having a base of knowledge to begin with, or being able to figure out for yourself how each manipulation fits into card technique as a whole.

I believe Card Manipulations was written about twenty years before Royal Road, so many of the techniques in Royal Road differ from the earlier book, as Hugard had twenty years to try new things.

But if you've got a copy of Card Manipulations, it might be a nice supplement to Royal Road. There are a number of things in Manipulations that can't be found in Royal Road. But don't let Manipulations turn you off of all Hugard's work. Royal Road is definitely a good buy -- you won't regret the purchase.
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Thanks for all the replies. There isn't a real magicians supply around here, just a costume shop that you can buy the regular gimmick tricks from. So there isn't much literature or instructional media to choose from. We *do* have a Barnes and Noble at least - thats where I got my Manipulations and just bought the Encyclopedia today. I don't have a credit card so I can't really order online - maybe they could order RR or the college for me if I gave them an ISBN?

Hmmm...
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Royal Road is published by Dover Publications, so Barnes and Noble should have no trouble getting it for you.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
I've noticed that expert card techniques has a larger selection of handlings then what they deal with in royal road. So what you might want to consider is getting Expert and supplementing Royal Road as you get more interested in a certain sleight or want to see a variation of a sleight. Expert is definately very dry reading. Royal Road is a lot easier and fun to read.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
You can order it direct from Dover as well.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-su......ain.html

As to 'completing the course', Opie Houston posted an outline for study of Royal Road that is really good. I have compiled the 'lessons' into one post. You can find it here:

http://forums.about.com/ab-magic/messages?msg=3226.204

Note that Opie does not give a guide to each chapter but picks the chapters you need to look at first. After you have those chapters down cold you can do more study in the others.

Be sure to read the other posts in the htread as they will be very helpful as you go through the book.

Good Luck
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I got my copy of RR from a Barnes and Noble, so just ask them to get you a copy. They are pretty quick about getting stuff like that.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Thanks all - maybe I can get someone around here to order it for my birthday next week. (29th) I'll finally be 21! Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Hey! My birthday is the 29th. But I'm over 21---a lot! Smile

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
Let your fingers do the walking and go to Amazon.com. O' I bought my copy on 1981 and still haven't finished the journey down the Royal Road...

AmazingBoz Smile
Douglas B.
View Profile
New user
Surrey, England
15 Posts

Profile of Douglas B.
I was in the same position of not knowing whether to take the plunge. RR was for me my first step in "serious" magic and allowed me to build confidence quickly. The introduction in the book does suggest how best to use it, and how to work through it. Like school, I feel you need to put in the hours away from the book to get the most from it.
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
I have RR and i think it's great, i'm left handed so i find any book hard to read but still you can go through RR and pick bits out. don't let yourself get stuck in doing something if you can't master a chapter leave it and read on then if a further chapter requires something from an earlier chapter going back never seems so hard(for me anyway) yes it is dated and the patter is dated but you shouldn't be using the same patter so no harm there. For the price it's a must have!
clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
I've been hearing a lot about the book. I'm a beginner to magic so do you guys think that the Royal Road to magic is a good choice to learn more?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Royal Road To Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL