The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Royal Road To Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I started down the Royal Road about 5 months ago. I am taking the approach that the authors suggest, that is to learn one or two effects from each chapter, practice them, and make them presentable. I am now on the "Classic Pass" chapter. I have been there for a month, and will probably stay there a couple more months.
I like to review some of my favorite tricks from previous chapters.
I suspect that by the time that finish an "Official" study of the book, it will have been about a year. I don't master everything as I learn, but as I learn a more diffacult sleight, the previous chapters sleights and presentations improve consistently

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Aspology
View Profile
New user
Belgium
52 Posts

Profile of Aspology
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 10:54, what wrote:
I started down the Royal Road about 5 months ago. I am taking the approach that the authors suggest, that is to learn one or two effects from each chapter, practice them, and make them presentable.

I've got mine yesterdag and I'll try to do the same with the dvd and the book!
Dare 2 believe in magic
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
It doesn't mater how long it takes to complete the Royal Road To Card Magic.
What matters most is what you get out of it. The book is well worth studying.
Don't get any other books on magic because this one will keep you busy for a
long while. Buying more books will distract you.. One exception will be,
if you find this book hard to read you may want to check out
Robert Giobbi's Card College books. Buy only the 1st volume, to see if this
one is not easier to read.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I think it's fine to read other magic books while working one's way through RRTCM. Coincidentally, I'm also on the pass chapter. There's no way I'm going to master that move before learning any other magic!

Instead of spending all my time on Royal Road, I've learned OOTW/OOTU, a Sal Piacente mind trick, some easy Mark Wilson stuff, and the Quarter in the Soda that Criss Angel sells. Oh yeah - I'm also practicing the Osterlind BCS.

One of Wilden's Laws is "if you want to make something easier, do something harder." This Law alone would recommend learning more than one effect at once. But the most important thing is that I'm having fun, which I know I would not have if I were practicing that @#$%@$ pass three hours a day.

Of course, this is just me - if another way of learning magic works for you, do it!

///ark
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
Oh, my... I recently started with this book because I read so much about it... I'm mainly into mentalism, but like they say here "noblesse oblige", so I wanted to be good at what I do... but these flourishes are impossible... I can't even make a fan...
Richard71
View Profile
New user
Cheshire, UK
54 Posts

Profile of Richard71
In answer to your question, a lifetime! I still refer back to this classic and I am constantly amazed at some of the hidden gems that you can find within.

Rich
KyleThorson
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
98 Posts

Profile of KyleThorson
I have been reading the book on and off for a about a month or two so its been slow going. Im just trying to find more time to focus on my practice. Earlier this week I purchased the R. Paul Wilson RRTCM DVD's and I have to say that learning this stuff is going to go much quicker now. The night I bought the DVD's, I sat down and watched the section on the overhand shuffle and immediately picked up on a simple technique that I didn't catch onto from the book. I don't know how long it would take to learn the whole thing but it will definitely go faster now that I have the visual examples to go along. The DVD set is expensive but I think its worth it.

Kyle
kroberge
View Profile
New user
Old Town, Maine
75 Posts

Profile of kroberge
I've approached the RRTCM like a math book. Math books don't read like novels or stories. You work them over slowly, taking notes. You reread them dozens of times, try examples, etc. RRTCM seems to be written like a text book. They give sample practice regimes, card tricks to try as applications of the sleights, suggestions on patter and misdirection. Its a great book, but it will involve studying just like any math book or what not. Of course they also tell us to make the magic our own. If we can make some small modification that allows us to carry out the sleight then that's fine.

Cheers,

Kevin
Aspology
View Profile
New user
Belgium
52 Posts

Profile of Aspology
Quote:
On 2007-01-19 13:37, KyleThorson wrote:
Earlier this week I purchased the R. Paul Wilson RRTCM DVD's and I have to say that learning this stuff is going to go much quicker now.
Kyle

Yes, that's true. I'm using both now. First reading, trying, than looking!
Dare 2 believe in magic
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-01-19 11:55, Richard71 wrote:
In answer to your question, a lifetime! I still refer back to this classic and I am constantly amazed at some of the hidden gems that you can find within.

Rich

This book will be your reference as I keep going back to it from time to time to refresh techniques and it never cease to dazzle me with new discovery.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I've only finished my books on theory and poorly designed tricks. The ones with good tricks, have stuff that's new to me all the time. Royal Road has served me well for years.

It's been 5 years since the original question was posted. I wonder what his answer turned out to be.

I hope he wasn't this James Owen. A heavy goods driver (which he was) from the UK (which he was). Although a heart attack in 2003 would explain why he stopped posting.

archive.prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Gary Richards
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Gary Richards
I naively started with Erdnase (Fools rush in...), but fortunately, someone pointed out the Royal Road. Time? I don't have a clue. I know there's an "Expert..." volume out there as well, but am in no rush. I'm enjoying every step on the Royal Road. Good luck to you, regardless of how long it takes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Royal Road To Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL