The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Illinois Smith and the Treasure of Rudy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Illinois Smith, the great adventurer, has travelled deep into the Amazon forest, to seek out the lost city of King Rudy the Riddler. He has already passed many traps, and has finally reached the inner sanctum, where the fabled Treasure of Rudy lies. What the treasure actually is, no one knows, but it is rumoured to be worth a lot of money.

The inner sanctum is bare, save for some stone letters, all in capitals, standing in the middle of the room. The letters are rather aptly R, U, D and Y. In front of the letters, on the floor, is a small key. Attached to the key is a poem:

Before you see stone letters four,
Each of these contain a door.
One holds the treasure so fair,
Three hold a deadly snare.
Place the key atop the right letter,
Then the treasure's name you must utter.
If you are wrong, your end will be grim,
In other words, place the key "For Him"

The stone letters each have a small hole in the top for the key to go in, and a panel in the front of the letter, which presumably holds either the treasure or sudden death. Can you help Illinois Smith place the key in the right hole, and give him the correct name of the treasure? Or will you instead be writing to his next of kin, explaining why there are ten thousand poisoned darts using him as a pin cushion?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Does it go in the letter R. and I'm not guessing, but I don't know the name of the tresure.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

I'd be interested to see what your reasoning is... can you PM me, please?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

As a clue -

"Place it on his..."
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Stephen,not heard of this one before,is this story of your own making?is the answer in the poem?
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

This is one of my own puzzle creations. The method of solving is described in the poem
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I would say the letter. U
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Any reason why?
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Well,if the letters are in a circle R at north, U at east, D at south and Y at west,poem says place atop RIGHT letter,also if I have to place for him,that infers YOU (U)
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

I never said the letters were in a circle, though...

Interesting interpretation of "For him". Not right, though. The first part of that line is needed
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Well if (1) holds the treasure fair,
and (3) holds a snare
I guess (2) and (4) are not so nice either.

The name of the treasure? Rudy I would gather, as that would only be fair. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Don't try and get hidden meaning out of the first part of the poem - poetry isn't my strong point. Look deep into the last line though.

Suffice to say, "Rudy" isn't the treasure
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
"For him" is "on his behalf". Half of a B is a D. Placing the B into Rudy, you get Ruby.

So place the key into the D to get the Ruby.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Impressive reasoning there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

I'll say... that's 'cause it's the answer.

Well done, Sapient!
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Nice one sapient,it wasn,t easy
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Thanks! The clue was a big help, but mostly I got lucky for my first try here. I'm usually the guy who is asking to have things explained to him long after everyone else is nodding and smiling at each other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Illinois Smith and the Treasure of Rudy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL