The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Help with PK gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
I don't know if this is the best place to post this (if it isn't please feel free to move it).

I am interested in buying a PK gimmick for impromptu effects and have been directed to what looks to be a superb site that stocks a whole host of different kinds of magnets.

The problem is which one do I want?

Do I want a magnet with the poles on either face (that looks like a thick coin), or there is an alternative which is kind of boomerang shaped, that has the poles on either end?

The site in question is http://www.wondermagnet.com

Any help here is much appreciated.

... Tony Smile
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Hello Nitnat
I was in the same boat as you and I did a quick search in the forum on magnets
That will tell you exactly what to order from wondermagnets.
I think that the one was 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/8
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
That's the biggest one they sell!
Do I really need to go that big?

... Tony
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
397 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
May I suggest Radio Shack. They have what you are looking for at a very low price when compared to some of the ones I have seen online and in dealers catalogs etc. They have a variety of sizes in the rare earth type.
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
That is much appreciated, only I'm in the U.K. and unfortunately we don't have "Radio Shack" over here.

Thanks anyway.

What I really need is an answer to my original post (see above) re which type of magnets do I need.

Thanks... Tony
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I have the exact same problem, in the U.K., we don't have a Radio Shack.

Matt
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
But that's OK, Because http://www.wondermagnet.com can ship worldwide... I just need to know which type to get!

Someone on this board must know whether it is best to get more of a flat rectagular magnet with the poles on the ends or more of a rectagular/round one with the poles on the flat faces.

... Tony
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I am going to buy a collection and experiment!

Matt
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
I'm in no way an expert at magic or magnets but I'd think you would need a flat one because attaching a round one to your body may be hard. I'm not sure about the poles thing maybe someone else can help you.
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
I just got the biggest one that wondermagnet.com had (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/8 ) It is very, very powerful. I think that one with poles on different ends might be harder to use. The one that I got seems like it will do the trick (no pun intended).

I played around with it a little bit with a steel washer and it had the desired effect, including the flipping over. I don't know if it this is the same one that the M5 and pro pk set uses or not, maybe someone else could answer that part.
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
I coulnd´t tell for sure myself, but someone else had said in this forum that those are the exact same measurements.
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
I'm interested to hear you were able to do the "flipping over" trick with your magnets Smile

Anyway, I always thought in order to get a coin to flip, you needed a special one that was magnetic. That way when the + and + came together, they were forced apart and the coin flips. If you were using just a plain washer, you couldn't create the appropriate field pushing apart the two items.

It's a question, rather than a comment.

... Tony

Lesterkirad

I have just ordered the magnet you recommended and should receive it in a week or so (I'm in the U.K.) I loved the fact that they have to send it in a steel box!

Great fun!

... Tony
alby
View Profile
New user
Mexico
13 Posts

Profile of alby
Hello, this is my first post and I don't know if here is the correct place to post my question. (Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong)

I just got a PK gimmick mainly to perform the stop watch trick but I'm a little concerned because I regularly perform to people with expensive automatic watches and I don't know if the mechanism of the watch can get messed up because of the trick. Some people have recommended me to keep the stopping time under 30 seconds, but still I'm not pretty sure. Does anyone has any experience with this?

Alby
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Try posting this question in the mentalism catagory, and I think you'll get some very helpful answers.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
OK now that I have the gimmick, I now realise that in order to perform one of the main effects I want to perform, which is the flipping over of a coin whilst hand in a spectators hand, I need the appropriate magnet coin.

That's a bit disappointing!

Also, how do you guys normally mount the Magnet. I assume you make some kind of strap up, but it occurred to me that making a flap or pocket in your jacket sleeve, would enable you to roll up your sleeves when requested to do so?

... Tony
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Get some surgical tape from the chemist and affix your 'gimmick' to the underside of your wrist just where your pulse is.

If you get the flesh-coloured tape (Available from Boots here in the UK), you will find that it is almost invisible even if the punter gets a glimpse of the inside of your wrist.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
I like the surgical tape idea, but surely most adults would at least suspect the possible use of a magnet. That being the case, they are bound to ask to see up your sleeve, surely. If they do, they're going to see the gimmick.

Sewing it into the sleeve of a jacket, into a kind of pocket, so it could easily be removed, would be a bit less accurate, in the sense that when you rotate your wrists, the magnet isn't necessarily exactly where you think it is, but it does enable you to roll your sleeves right up and completely destroy even the slightest thought that the spec' may have had that magnet involved.

Having said all of this, I can't talk, because I have yet to show this trick to anyone. I really don't want to fluff it and I need to be 100% confident before I show it.

Regards... Tony
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
The one bad thing about the sleeve is you don't have as much control and might tend to have accidents

Does anyone know if you can make that coin???
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
Nitnat
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Nitnat
Hi MX Joker

I hear what you are saying regarding concealing it in a sleeve potentially giving you less control. But (and please keep in mind here that I have not yet tried this method of concealment) I would imagine you still have sufficient power available (if you know what I mean), even if you are a little inaccurate.

However the benefits of being able to roll up your sleeves on request must surely make this method preferable to taping it to your arm.

... Tony

Also... Re. being able to make such a coin… I'm all ears!

Obviously the coin in question needs to be a magnet in it's own right, with the poles on either face... that, after all, is what makes the effect work. So how do you magnatize a conventional coin?

I am pretty confident the gimmicked ones you buy have a magnet inside them, but that may just be "Sales Guff" from the people trying to sell them.

... Tony
cardboy18
View Profile
Regular user
New york
128 Posts

Profile of cardboy18
go to http://www.ellusionist.com

Click shop, then m5 accessories

Look for the x-flip coin, it's exactly what your looking for

Has this helped anyone?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Help with PK gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL