We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Martial Arts anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Just wondering if any of you have done or currently do martial arts of any kind. To broaden the spectrum I'll even let the kick boxers out there include themselves!
Keep passing the open windows!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Practiced 'Nihon Goshin Aikido' many years ago. Stopped after an injury caused by an irresponsible Sensei.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It has been years but,

I used to participate in "Lua" which is a hawiian derivitive of Kung Fu but in soft style.

Do you count clooege wrestling?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Chris_
View Profile
New user
Illinois
25 Posts

Profile of Chris_
Cliffg37, a good many of the guys that have fought in the Ultimate Fighting Championships have wrestling backgrounds. They combine thier groundfighting with some strikes and are very competitive.

I personally studied some traditional Korean based martial arts as well as Tae Kwon Do. The last system I studied was Jeet Kun Do (JKD) which originated with Bruce Lee. It is a more progressive fighting style, eliminating ineffective moves and focusing on real world techniques.

It was great fun training when I was younger, but as time goes by, it is harder to get up off the floor - lol.

Chris
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? - Mark 8:36

www.needgod.com
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Brazilian ju jitsu and muay thia kickboxing. Been training for about 4 years now.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Daddyof2,

A friend of mine does that Muay Thai stuff. Used to always bug me to come down and try it. I told him when you can beat me up, I'll join the gym. His teacher is some kind of world champ and I wouldn't mess with him. I saw him throw a kick over a guys head outside a bar one night. If he would have hit him (which he purposely did not) the guys head would have flown off his shoulders like a pumpkin off a porch.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Lol! What kind of martial art do you do if any?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I tore both ACLs in Tae Kwon Do; does that count?
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
Been in and out of MA for 28 years.
Started with Judo and Kendo as a kid... moved on to Boxing and Tae Kwon Do through Junior High and onto Kyokushinkai Karate in High School (and spent a year training in Japan after High School).

When I moved to the States (College) I studied Kempo Karate for several years. Then moved on to Traditional Japanese Jujutsu and Japanese swordmanship.

Three years ago I started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Jeet Kune Do, but haven't trained at all over the past year due to a torn patella tendon (sustained during Jiu Jitsu practice) and torn meniscus in both my knees (still going through physical therapy).

It's during this downtime that I re-discovered magic.

I'm hoping to start back up again in the next 3 - 6 months.

Steve
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Period fencing and Combat pistolcraft.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ok Steve,

You've got me curious. I had a taste of "stage" fencing back in my Pro-wrestling days, I have done Archery for years in a vernue perhaps similar to you, but what is Combat PistolCraft? I mean shoot someone once it usually ends the fight. Doesn't it?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
stonemaster
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of stonemaster
Hapkido. Six+ years. First Degree BB. Hapkido is very similar to Aikido (names translate to same philosphy; both emerged from jiu-jitsu). However, Hapkido adds kicks and punches to its repertoire of joint locking techniques (though, like Aikido, it remains flowing and circular in its movements). It's an awesome martial art!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Does watching Jackie Chan movies count for anything?

Mike
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Shaolin Kempo for a while now...
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Does watching Jackie Chan movies count for anything?
Hahah! It works for me...
My philosophy is "No pain, no pain"
Slim
"Tai Kwan, and call me in the morning"
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1544 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
While some of you guys are describing your battle wounds I decided to add mine too. They include a dislocated shoulder, broken collarbone and a torn biceps tendon. While none of them are severe they all hurt like hell.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"but what is Combat PistolCraft?"

Just what you're thinking it is: gunfighting.

"I mean shoot someone once it usually ends the fight. Doesn't it?"

Usually (unless the target is just wounded and is still able to shoot back). As the adage goes, "In a gunfight, there are no second-place winners."

Needless to say, unless you undertake 'laser tag' or 'Hogan's Alley' type training, combat pistolcraft is simply learning the techniques intellectually, and plenty of target practice at the range with your weapon of choice. I am partial to the single action .45 revolver loaded with Glazer safety slugs.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
"While some of you guys are describing your battle wounds I decided to add mine too. They include a dislocated shoulder, broken collarbone and a torn biceps tendon. While none of them are severe they all hurt like hell."

I can relate... I've dislocated my wrist twice and both my shoulders a couple of times each (as related to MA). I've also broken my nose, fractured a rib and torn my AC Joint (in my shoulder) twice in the same year (during my first year in Jiu Jitsu). Yet I still seem to go back for more. Smile
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
First Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. been doing it for way to long. The only injury I substained was a concusion during sparring. Not nearly as bad as milamber, but still my story.

Paul
ian lea
View Profile
New user
south of the moon
8 Posts

Profile of ian lea
I do Shotokan Karate, got a training session at 7.00am tommorrow morning!!
Carpe Diem
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Martial Arts anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL