The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Meet Alain Nu here. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
349 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Tell them how many ideas you had going in to the specials, how many could be used, how many were shot and not used and how much they wanted on top of all that, and wanted it instantly as well.

Or did you already tell them?

Docc

P.S> Have you been awake all these days??? Smile
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
1. Mr. Hilford, how did you get in here with that name/
2. Mr. Mongoose, not that I want to know for myself, I am only asking for a friend who wishes to remain annonymous NOT ME really (my wife might read this), but do you have the names and #s of the ladies who helped you with the shoe thing?
Feel free to PM me.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 22:25, geff mongoose wrote:

what is this 'post index' that youy speak of?



The post index is similar to the wall index, in that one has an index folder of 52 different posts which can be posted to an electronic forum (such as this). This index, like the wall index, is kept in one's pocket and the appropriate electronic message is palmed (just as the appropriate wall) and switched with a blank electronic message. Since these messages are electronic, it is recommended that one's pockets be insulated. I recommend rubber pants.

*jeep!
--Chet (How close is Alain to 50 posts now?)

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 00:10, Docc Hilford wrote:
Alain,

They're treating you very nicely here. See? They're pretty nice guys.

And we like you... we really like you! Smile

Your pal,

Docc


Just wait. Let him stay in here for a few months and they'll turn on him like rabid fish on stinkbait.

*jeep!
--Chet (When disgusting mental images are made, they'll be made by Chet.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 00:26, Docc Hilford wrote:
Tell them how many ideas you had going in to the specials, how many could be used, how many were shot and not used and how much they wanted on top of all that, and wanted it instantly as well.
Or did you already tell them?
Docc
P.S> Have you been awake all these days??? Smile


(Ladies?) and (gentle)men, Docc Hilford!

Que pasa, Dr. Cocktail? Thank you for caring about me-- and visting me here! Many famous (as well as infamous) friends of mine have made choices NOT to join me here (all w/ weak excuses) but I'm delighted to have you chime in, my fiendish friend! I must apologize for the 'alarmed response' to your initial post, but YOU (of all people) are the post that has caused me to respond WITH ONLY 10 MORE POSTS before I am admitted as a NEW LEVEL priviledged member who will enjoy the benefits (and secret teachings!) that only the Magic Café can offer (just think). That's right, in just TEN more posts, I'll be there... UNLESS Saturday comes first. (will I make it? do ya think?)

Docc sez:

>>Tell them how many ideas you had going in to the specials, how many could be used, how many were shot and not used and how much they wanted on top of all that, and wanted it instantly as well.>>

I did tell them once or five times before, but to put it to those specific specs--

1) we were initially told to come up with 80 effects (20 per show), and w/ help from the boyz, we did it in two hours while in LA (minus the experimentation, engineering, and scripting) one week later I was informed that I had to be ready to begin shooting within 2 weeks of that time.

2) we shot close to (we kept adding and subtracting as we went along) 80 effects in an incredibly short amount of time (ending in a 16 day shoot schedule)-- of these effects, only roughly 55 to 60 effects were chosen (which is what I predictd from the start). Docc was at my shoot in Miami, and saw a few effects that I did that didn't make the cut...

... I think you were there when I had those people covering my face and eyes on the Coco Walk, and I told that one guy to stop (messing) with me-- I wish I could've actually seen the look on his face...

Y'know, I assume most of y'all know Docc Hilford already, but if you don't, Docc is one of the coolest cats you will ever meet who is also a mentalist/mystery-maker (a sometimes difficult combination to find, plus that dude'll mix you a mean cocktail). He has written more independent literature in the psychic-subterrainean than you can shake a stick at, and you can only get that stuff directly from him these days-- so I don't know if I'm doing him a favor, or me a disfavor by saying so, but if you don't already own this guy's writings-- you better catch him while you can, as he still hasn't posted five times here yet, and he may disappear quicker than you expect!

Shout out to Hilford!

Alain
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
The only question I have for you Alain is...

How did you get your own TV special? Was it through contacts, performances, or what?

If this question was already answered by you, then just ignore it, but I am interested in knowing how some of you guys pull this off...

Thanks,
~Kyle~
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 00:36, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
2. Mr. Mongoose, not that I want to know for myself, I am only asking for a friend who wishes to remain annonymous NOT ME really (my wife might read this), but do you have the names and #s of the ladies who helped you with the shoe thing?
Feel free to PM me.
Peace,
Parson


hi parson,

tom cuts pmed me, to see if it was really me by asking me where I was born (apparently he met somebody on a plane from vegas who knew my parents in ca). strangely, he seemed shocked to see that it really was me (citing that a few have come on board, posing as other 'known' guys).

but if you are asking me for the LAST names of the showgirls on my show, I can't answer that-- it just not cool, even if I were to pm you. why don't you pm me with a description of the girl your friend wants to know about (if that's what he wants to know) along with what he 'thinks' her name is, and I will let you know if he's right or not.

as for docc, I can't be sure that it is actually him, but I'll say this-- I can 'hear his voice' by the tone of his message. it's a psychic energy thing-- that you all probably already understand.

peace,
alain

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 22:25, geff mongoose wrote:

what is this 'post index' that youy speak of?



The post index is similar to the wall index, in that one has an index folder of 52 different posts which can be posted to an electronic forum (such as this). This index, like the wall index, is kept in one's pocket and the appropriate electronic message is palmed (just as the appropriate wall) and switched with a blank electronic message. Since these messages are electronic, it is recommended that one's pockets be insulated. I recommend rubber pants.

*jeep!
--Chet (How close is Alain to 50 posts now?)


now I'm totally confused. I'll stick to pen and paper, thanks.

posting awfully close to 50-- I think I can see the light!

alain

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:52, geff mongoose wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 22:25, geff mongoose wrote:

what is this 'post index' that youy speak of?



The post index is similar to the wall index, in that one has an index folder of 52 different posts which can be posted to an electronic forum (such as this). This index, like the wall index, is kept in one's pocket and the appropriate electronic message is palmed (just as the appropriate wall) and switched with a blank electronic message. Since these messages are electronic, it is recommended that one's pockets be insulated. I recommend rubber pants.

*jeep!
--Chet (How close is Alain to 50 posts now?)


now I'm totally confused. I'll stick to pen and paper, thanks.

posting awfully close to 50-- I think I can see the light!

alain


ok, wait, I get it. I'm an idiot (and to think I thought I was so clever with my response to sam's post) just wasn't quick enough for you, you clever devil you.

hee hee,

alain
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Mr Nu, Welcome to The Magic Café.


Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:58, geff mongoose wrote:
posting awfully close to 50-- I think I can see the light!

alain


So if you're still up for talking about the evolution of a specific routine, you don't have to leave out methodology if you posted in, say Inner Thoughts (the 50-post counterpart to the Penny For Your Thoughts area). That is, if you don't want to.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:19, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 00:10, Docc Hilford wrote:
Alain,

They're treating you very nicely here. See? They're pretty nice guys.

And we like you... we really like you! Smile

Your pal,

Docc


Just wait. Let him stay in here for a few months and they'll turn on him like rabid fish on stinkbait.

*jeep!
--Chet


I love rabid fish on stinkbait-- but, personally, I still try and stay away from red meat.

Unfortunately, by Saturday I will be sucked back into my own vacuum of existence.

... but I've truly enjoyed my stay here on this public forum, and hope that Steve Brooks invites me back to be interviewed as a "celebrity." Also, I hope that when he does, it will conveniently work out with my crazy schedule.

I'll cross my fingers, since sometimes, I've found that it helps.

Peace to all,

Alain Nu

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 00:36, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
2. Mr. Mongoose, not that I want to know for myself, I am only asking for a friend who wishes to remain annonymous NOT ME really (my wife might read this), but do you have the names and #s of the ladies who helped you with the shoe thing?
Feel free to PM me.
Peace,
Parson


Joan: 702-555-CUTE
Candace: 702-555-FLRT
Rosie: 702-555-SEXY
Jill: 702-36-24-36
Carrie: 702-555-NICE
Linda: 702-555-LIPS
Jennifer: 702-555-ASSS
Lori: 702-555-OHHH
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I once dated Lori's sister, and her phone number was identical except that the "O" was at the end of versus at the beginning of the last four digits. Thank God I was able to do the $100 bill switch in reverse after the date ended.

Congrats on the outcome of all your hard work, mi amigo!

Larry D.

P.S. - I look forward to your version of JK's exploding nickle on the next special.
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:45, KyletheGreat wrote:
The only question I have for you Alain is...

How did you get your own TV special? Was it through contacts, performances, or what?

If this question was already answered by you, then just ignore it, but I am interested in knowing how some of you guys pull this off...

Thanks,
~Kyle~


Kyle,

First let me apologize for that last post, it wasn't me. It was my friend, (we'll just call him "Dick"). Smile

(that's what I get for having friends come over to my house while I'm 'at work')

Now let me get right to your questions:

1) I was VERY LUCKY to get the specials I did.

2) Re: Contacts-- my friend Allan Hayden, who at one time was actually my 'idol' as a kid when he used to live here in DC, 25 years ago, befriended a TV producer in LA 25 years later-- and after me having lost touch with Allan for years, he still recommends that Mike Mathis should call me-- how random is that?

3) Re: Performances-- ok, well here's a point that one could consider helpful. now I wasn't there at the time, but this is roughly how I heard it went down: Mike Mathis (my producer) asked Allan if he knew anyone who could: #1-- perform on the same or similar playing field as DB, and #2-- have enough personal material as to be able to fill several hours of tv. Allan knew me well enough to know that I was always working on new ways of presenting effects and that I'll obssess about ideas, concepts, functions, and applications-- it's the way I'm wired. so that's the reason why Allan pointed Mike to me. After that, Mike and I took it from there.

so maybe the future of magic on tv has something to do with quantity???

I doubt it-- frankly, I believe that everything is so random it's hard to tell just HOW anything actually is accomplished. I think if you are simply true to your heart and visualize what you want to do more than anything else, and not try to force yourself, but just be the absolute best that you can be, and never loose sight of the objective, you can get anything you want. it becomes then a matter of desire, focus, and understanding-- three of life's greatest mysteries.

peace,
alain

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 11:27, Derek Flint wrote:
Mr Nu, Welcome to The Magic Café.


Sebastian Black


Welcome back, Mr. Black!

~nu

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 12:01, Necromancer wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 10:58, geff mongoose wrote:
posting awfully close to 50-- I think I can see the light!

alain


So if you're still up for talking about the evolution of a specific routine, you don't have to leave out methodology if you posted in, say Inner Thoughts (the 50-post counterpart to the Penny For Your Thoughts area). That is, if you don't want to.

Best,
Neil


man, that would just take so long, it'd make me want to slit my wrists. I'd almost rather start talking about the creative process of something altogether new and work on it right in front of everyone. at least that way, I'm getting something done at the same time!

AM I KNOCKIN' ON FIFTY'S DOOR? DO I HEAR A KNOCK-KNOCK, ANYONE???

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 13:29, Larry Davidson wrote:
I once dated Lori's sister, and her phone number was identical except that the "O" was at the end of versus at the beginning of the last four digits. Thank God I was able to do the $100 bill switch in reverse after the date ended.

Larry D.

P.S. - I look forward to your version of JK's exploding nickle on the next special.


HOOO!

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry,

Because of your "HO-joke", I am now eligible to enter the through the pearly gates of the Magic Café.

DOES IRONY NOT EXIST, I ASK?

like the rain-man always said, "about a hundred dollars."

PEACE!!!
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"I'd almost rather start talking about the creative process of something altogether new and work on it right in front of everyone."

OK!!! Let's get started!!!

Glad you came - and welcome - to the Café. I was one of the guys behind the counter at Dream Wizards those many years ago...

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mr. Mongoose,
Thank you so much for the #'s. I will xxxxxxx, I mean my friend will call them tonight after my wife xxxxxxx I mean his wife is asleep.
Even without the girls, though, I enjoyed your specials.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Hi Alain,

Just wanted to say congrats to you and your team for doing an awesome job with the specials. The way you handled a couple of the classics will go down as my all time favorite versions. The situational stuff like the "stair walk" leaves images in the mind that won't be soon forgotten.

Power.

Your performance style and presentation make you a joy to watch, and it really sucks people in.

Keep up the good work and I hope we can hang again soon.

Later,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Alain Nu
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Alain Nu
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 14:28, Greg Owen wrote:

"I'd almost rather start talking about the creative process of something altogether new and work on it right in front of everyone."

OK!!! Let's get started!!!

Glad you came - and welcome - to the Café. I was one of the guys behind the counter at Dream Wizards those many years ago...

- Greg Owen


hey greg,

how are you, guy?

for those of you who don't know, Dream Wizards was the very first magic shop I worked in-- I was 13 when I started there. Mark Chorvinsky (owner of dream wizards, my original influence in mentalism, and the publisher/editor of Strange Magazine, the fortean publication, is currently very sick, and I have been visiting him at his home over the past year as well as during the shooting of the TV specials. I really mean it when I say that he was my greatest influence in mentalism. he was the man who showed me the 'real world' of strange phenomena! I was at his home the other day and gave him the dvd release of "what the bleep do we think?", but I was told that he is too sick now to accept visitors or even phone calls. I'm glad that he is still watching movies though, because I think he'll like it a lot. mark is a real interesting guy who always had visionary qualities. he totally called it on the pokemon craze and now lives in a very nice home in one of the 'strangest states' in the country-- maryland!

Greg, I remember you and Jonathan and how you both liked to use the bounce-pass coin move, you were both quite the hot-shots of those days! ah yes, I remember the days-- back then, we used to save our junk-cards and play out 'street fights' in the parking lot between cars-- in front of Dream Wizards... those cards could sure sting. were you ever in on any of those fights when we used to do that-- with Steve Heston and Biff Gaut and Eric Simenauer, and the other guys who demo'd there? I can still throw a card like nobody's business. so far, though I doubt I've broken any world records, I'm undefeated at one-on-one distance matches-- but then again, I've never gone up against ricky jay.

great to hear from you, man.
alain

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 14:28, Greg Owen wrote:

"I'd almost rather start talking about the creative process of something altogether new and work on it right in front of everyone."

OK!!! Let's get started!!!
- Greg Owen


Ok, but I only have until Saturday night, first one who picks the topic, calls it, ok? I'll do the best I can with it until SATURDAY night! a'ight?

I'm game. Let's bring it on!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-07-06 08:19, geff mongoose wrote:
"...I remember that night with crazy Simon! can you remember the joke he told? It had to have been one of the most admirably tasteless jokes I have ever heard, but I can't remember it. Didn't it have something to do with a hedgehog???"


If it's the one about the mole, please let me know of an audience I can safely share that with!

Quote:
On 2005-07-08 18:15, geff mongoose wrote:
I'm game. Let's bring it on!


I've often thought it would be a hoot to perform a mentalism effect with a cheesy magic prop, like Hippity Hop Rabbits. And I mean something that would actually come across as mentalism vs. magic. Any ideas? It's probably best to just disregard this posting and let someone else choose a more "normal" topic.
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Greetings Alain,

I’ve had the please of seeing two of you lecture here in MN. And, I’ve enjoy your TV specials. I look forward you see a special that you have more creative control over.

I’d like to thank you for the time you’ve spent here in the Café. I always enjoy hearing what working professionals have to say. Are you planning on attending Mindvention ‘05?

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Aaron B Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hollywood, California
143 Posts

Profile of Aaron B Fisher
Alain,

I was watching a little tv the other day while my girlfriend was putting her makeup on, and as I flipped the channels, what did I see? I've known you for longer than just about anyone in magic. I think I met you my first year, 1992, in Washington DC. Its really incredible what you've accomplished with hard work, talent and deadication. I'm sure there are many young magicians reading this thread who find your success, and the quality of your work, to be nothing short of inspirational. You can count me the president of your fan club.

Your aging fan,
Aaron
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Okay, since nobody else is offering suggestions, and my first one was a bit wacky, how about something completely different--changing nature or its impact, for example, bringing back to life something that's dead (I know the effects been done, on TV in fact), making a green leaf on a summer tree turn into Fall colors and fall off of the tree, being rain on yet not getting wet, etc.?
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Alain -

WOW!!! WHAT A MEMORY!!! Yep - Jonathan and I just couldn't get enough of the ole bounce pass!!! Not sure if I was in on the card throwing or not...

I continued to daubble in magic and also developed a Yo-Yo show (I was the Sports Division World Winner in 2000). Ended up performing magic, mentalism, and yo-yos on stage many times (never at the same time though) and recently published an e-book. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy if you like.

I would love read your thinking on a design dupe but any effect you want to work on today is great. I will not be able to hover over the computer to participate though, I have a 2-year-old we HAVE to take out and keep active. Else there is no sleep for anyone in the house!

All The Best -

- Greg Beatty <--first time using my real name on the Café
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Meet Alain Nu here. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL