The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who is Del Ray?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I've heard the name "Del Ray" but when I do a Google search, I don't find much definitive information on this magician.

For starters, is his First name "Del" and his last name "Ray"? or is his entire last name "Del Ray" and he goes only by his last name (like Tony Slydini went by "Slidini")?

Also, what type of magic was he famous for? And, did he have any personalized effect for which he was best known and/or for which only he performed? (I.E., like Sam the Bellhop for Bill Malone, Silks by Slydini, the Violin Zombie by Norm Neilsen, etc.)

Finally, did he have any published written works or published videos? (I'm not referring to any underground unpublished videos.)

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Del Ray passed on recently. Was a great all-around magician but known best for his close-up work. Especially his blackjack routine. I don't think that he published anything that I can remember anyway. Hopefully, someone may know mmore.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
There is a thread about Del Ray on this page. Yes he had signature effects that only he performed and will never be performed again. I would say he was best known for performing miracles. He didn't publish, didn't even like to perform for magicians. There is little info available. Del Ray played it very close to the vest.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Do a search on the Café as there has been a lot posted on Del Ray. Also a good article in magic magazine and there was one by Max Howard that was very good recently. I think it might have been in the Linking Ring.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
In the 43 years I've been into magic, I've seen tons of magicians, and Del Ray was easily one of the best I've ever seen, possibly the best. Luckily for me, I personally witnessed his close-up and stage work in the late 70's to early 80's, and I found him to be unbelievably creative and entertaining, to put it mildly.

Del's dice work and card work were incredible, and he not only performed sleight of hand flawlessly but used electronics before many people even knew what electronics were.

In my opinion, Del's fortes were his ability to bring his props to life and his entertaining personality. For example, he performed an unbelievable routine where a little automoton bird repeatedly predicted the outcome of a roll of dice which a spectator threw and without Del getting anywhere near the dice or bird. He jokingly and repeatedly taunted the spectator with a $50 bill, offering it if the bird's predictions were wrong. At the end of the routine, he locked the bird in it's carrying box and then mixed the key with other keys which he passed out to a number of spectators, keeping one for himself, explaining that whoever got the correct key would get the bird and the $50 bill. It was an incredible Key-R-Rect type effect with no switching of the keys and without Del getting anywhere near them.

Del was very protective of his material and didn't want anyone else doing anything like it. It's really a shame as the world has been deprived of miracles with his passing and there are those who know many of his methods and have the means to reproduce them (me included) but who don't use them out of respect. I wish he would have permitted others to perform his magic as I would absolutely love to perform a tribute show to him. I feel it's a tragedy that his magic died with him.

Larry
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have an old vhs tape of Del performing his wonderful magic, he was increditable just as Larry described....
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
Del Ray was one of my first magicians I seen when I was young (10ish). I guess I was spoiled from the start. There really hasn't been any magicians like him. His electronics fasinated me. I almost wondered if there was a 'third-party' helping him out the whole time! Anycase, by far, visual magic, sleight-of-hand, old props brought back to a new life, such as, the folding coin through borrow ring, bounce-no-bounce balls, done flawlessly. I do have a copy of one of his only recorded performances at Tannen's Magic convention with Harry Blackstone, introducing him. I would be willing to trade some VHS tapes, or DVDs whatever. As far as what I was told, he didn't like to have his work filmed or on TV. He is one of the main reasons, I got into magic and am still here! Does anyone know what month of MAGIC mag, that article was in? I would like to pick me up a copy. There surely isn't enough info about this magician. Also, he used to be an assistant for Harry Blackstone Sr.!
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Euphoria,

I will find that info for you. I have the Magic magazine article. There was also a tribute in the Linking Ring after he passed. I also have a Linking Ring from 1958 with an article. I'll list them here.

Vandy
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I have to agree with Larry. The month is January 04 for the Del Ray article in Magic. Tom Craven has a DVD of Del Ray working a hospitality suite. I purchased it a few weeks ago. I cannot tell you how much joy just watching the tape brought me. Del was superb, funny, and incredible. I am very sorry that I never got to see him perform live. I did see in one of the magazines a few months ago that someone is soliciting material to write a book about Del Ray. I don't remember who it was or even which magazine the request appeared in.

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I spent the weekend at the LA Conference on Magical History. Had a very nice chat with David Baldwin. David (who published the Raymond book) is working with Bob Escher and some other guys on a Del Ray book. It will be a great project when completed. Probably with performance dvd's included.

Del was one of a kind.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 22:32, hugmagic wrote:
I spent the weekend at the LA Conference on Magical History. Had a very nice chat with David Baldwin. David (who published the Raymond book) is working with Bob Escher and some other guys on a Del Ray book. It will be a great project when completed. Probably with performance dvd's included.

Del was one of a kind.

Richard

Great News!!
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Wow, What can I say about Del Ray? His name alone in magic circles makes magicians silence intstantly. Everything you have heard about him and his genius is absolutely true. He was a 'magicians magician', a true professional. Del's sleight of hand was flawless and his incredible electronic effects even raised the professionalism of his shows to a new level. I have known Del for many years, I was fortunate enough to perform with him on the same 'bill' here in Pittsburgh, Pa. This is what got me into electronic magic, watching Del opened up magic to a whole new world that I never really thought about before seeing him. Del only lived about twenty minutes from my home just outside of Pittsburgh,Pa. He lived in Brookline, Pa. We kept in touch throughout the years via the telephone. Magic has lost one of the greats, possibly THE greatest. One thing is sure, his talents will never be equalled.

Chuck Caputo
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 22:32, hugmagic wrote:

Del was one of a kind.

Richard

Has anyone heard anything further on this book since Hugmagic's Café posting on this?

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Mike,

There was an advertisement in a Linking Ring a few months back that talked about the Del Ray book and asking for information, pictures, clippings, etc. One of the people working on the book is Bill Spooner - here's his website:
http://spoonermagic.com/contact_info.html
He may have more current information - hope this helps.

Dave
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-01-31 10:35, omk wrote:
Mike,

There was an advertisement in a Linking Ring a few months back that talked about the Del Ray book and asking for information, pictures, clippings, etc. One of the people working on the book is Bill Spooner - here's his website:
http://spoonermagic.com/contact_info.html
He may have more current information - hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Eschew obfuscation.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
We have a snippet of information on Del Ray (born Delbert Raymond Petrosky, so it's two words) in our Inventor's brief biographies on The Magic Nook site. This is a work in progress, so as we get more information or photos to add, we will do so. We are particularly looking to identify the names he gave his original creations for the electronic act.

If anyone who saw his act can describe it in any kind of detail, that would add to the knowledge base. For example, I was most impressed with what I called his "Leaping Card Box." He would remove a pack of cards from the box and set the card box down on the edge of the table, but it "accidentally" fell off onto the floor. Looking a little annoyed, he made a gesture and the box leaped back up onto the table. That was the moment I decided to do "Wizard" magic instead of magic store magic.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Quote:
On 2005-07-06 10:32, hugmagic wrote:
Do a search on the Café as there has been a lot posted on Del Ray. Also a good article in magic magazine and there was one by Max Howard that was very good recently. I think it might have been in the Linking Ring.

Richard

Spellbinder - the above post mentions two articles that have good descriptions of some of Del Ray's effects - particularly in the MAGIC Magazine issue. Those may be helpful to you.

Sorry - I had seen his close up and stage act numerious times starting in the early 70's but I can't begin to accurately describe his effects - I was always too much in awe to begin to take any notes!

I don't know of any performer before or after that has mesmerized me as much....

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who is Del Ray?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL