The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Source for solid plastic wand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
After trying various wood and metal wands, I've decided that I'd really like a solid plastic (catalin) wand about 12-13" long. Plenty of magic stores sell plastic wands, but they're usually hollow and require careful handling.

A solid plastic wand would be sturdy enough for long-time use, heavy enough for a wand spin, wouldn't warp or be damaged by moisture, and would be able to bang on cups and other props without damaging them. It could also be thrown into my prop case without worrying about scratching, chipping, etc.

Anybody know of a source for this? If not, how about a source for a small amount of solid plastic 3/8" rod, and I'll just make it myself! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Check the phone book, you probably have a plastic vendor in your area that stocks what you are looking for. Or search the net for the same.

Bill
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Try Wal-Mart,

Look for the PLASTIC COAT HANGERS. They are cheap enough you can get a few.
Then you can cut the bottom portion of the hanger and have a nice solid plastic rod.

Hope this helps

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another type of wand that works, if you can find the material, is fiberglass. I have a wand that I've had for about 27 years that is still holding up - has lazer foil on it and is hollow. A few drunks have tried to snap the wand at gigs, and all have failed. It still looks great!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Seth:

Dazzling Magic sells a clear, acrylic wand; I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but it might be worth checking out. It sounds like it would meet all the needs you listed. Their website is http://www.dazzlingmagic.com

I hope this helps you.

Ron
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 08:59, kOnO wrote:
Try Wal-Mart,

Look for the PLASTIC COAT HANGERS. They are cheap enough you can get a few.
Then you can cut the bottom portion of the hanger and have a nice solid plastic rod.

Hope this helps

kOnO

Some of these look solid, but actually are hollow.

If you want a nice plastic wand, go to a supplier like A-1 Plastics. There is a large plastics company in nearly every major city. You might have to purchase more than you actually need. But keep it in reserve. You never know when you can use it.

Polyacrylic is good. Lexan is great, but expensive.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
LUCITE! Try lucite....a shop around here used to sell them in lucite, in about 6 diferent colors, but they can't get them anymore. Look around. I had one but lost it. It was heavy, clear and looked good.

Jonathan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jonathan:

Polyacrylic is lucite. It's the generic term for it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions.

BTW, the Dazzling Magic website that Ron mentioned looks very promising, not only for a wand, but other well-made props, too. I haven't actually seen or handled any of their stuff, but it looks like it's made with care and built for the long haul. Thanks for the tip. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Source for solid plastic wand? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL