The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Genuine Artefacts (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
aquariusmagic
View Profile
Regular user
England
122 Posts

Profile of aquariusmagic
Hi,
I wondered if anybody either uses or is thinking of using any genuine bizarre/spooky artefacts in their routines. i.e. skulls, shrunken heads, scientific equipment, or anything really (but must be genuine, not repro).
regards
Francis
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
I do. Human skulls (have 3) assorted lab equipment (for my potions bit) and assorted other odd antiques.

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
You should check out the ICBM, they are a bizarrest group in Conn. They use all types of unusual props in their shows. I myself like to use antique funeral home equiment and I use a real human fetus for the "special" shows.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Caveat Lector, what is a "special show"? And how is it different from your normal show?

Jerry
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
In most cases, I don't think it would matter too much, so long as the repro looks good enough to pass for the geniune article. At least, from the audience perspective. On the other hand, having the "real" deals might psychologically help out the magician to get into the spirit of things.
With skulls, there're a lot of phony looking ones out there, but then again, quite a few nice faux skulls too, but usually at either high cost, or a lot of elbow grease and customization to get them to look really good. I'd say, use the real deal when you can get it, but don't sweat it if you can't.
Antique funeral equipment is easily had on eBay, and even the real human skull on occasion.

Even I, however, find that just a little distasteful, or disrespectful. That was somebody's head, after all. If you happen to be the truly spiritual, supernatural type, wouldn't you feel bad if you were preventing somebody from resting in peace ?
Just maybe, their soul is wandering around, eternally lost, because you have their skull in a box, above ground.
Then again, that'd be bangin' cool to have a real skull !
If it were donated to science by the er...previous owner, and sufficiently used for that purpose prior to your ownership, I suppose his spirit couldn't complain...

As to the fetus thing, Lector, dude, that's not a little twisted.
Is that even legal to have, since you're not a medical or research facility of some kind ? (I mean, some states might consider that a person.. then again, you can keep somebody's ashes on your mantle, so... nevermind..)
I would think you wouldn't be able to keep lot of audience with that around, especially pro-lifers. You'd wind up with a picket rally instead of a seance.
So, what do you use it for, besides ambience ? Do you actually have a routine built around it ? Does it annswer questions from the "other side" ? Smile

Ooooo ! I've hit 1,000 posts ! I get the Magic Café "I need a life" award !! lol
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have a mixture, I visit antique shops and look for things, things that make my magic go! <old STNG reference>
Nothing quite as nice as what the Curator has by any means, but still I dabble a bit!
Anyway, not too hard, hit the estate auctions in your area, search E-bay for antiques, hit the stores and flea markets, you would be surprised what is out there!
Visit your local coin dealer for old currency, worn is better for routines than new or mint things, and they cost less too!
I have also found a dealer or two who has helped me to restore items to threir historical mustiness.....;}
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
475 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Why...at this very moment (not quite 1230 in california, someone has a human skull listed in ebay starting bid 99cents!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Why...at this very moment (not quite 1230 in california, someone has a human skull listed in ebay starting bid 99cents!
Kay

Oh, there's more than one.
That seller (Tibetan Secrets) currently has 29 of them for sale, from .99 to $680, all real.

Well, that's one way to get ahead ! Smile
(groan)
(See ? It worked for me. I just went from "Special User" to "Inner Circle" ) Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Mystician...

let me guess, you also got a monkey paw from good ol' ebay too...lucky devil...
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
In 1972-3, Kentucky sculptor Michael Makras sculpted five 'Bust of Satan' statues as part of a series of occult themes. After the five (which his wife, a psychic, got bad vibes from) he swore to make no more, as four of the five owners related tragic incidents in the wake of purchasing the piece.

The fifth purchaser had no such ill fortune...he was a magician.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 20:29, Mystician wrote

Ooooo ! I've hit 1,000 posts ! I get the Magic Café "I need a life" award !! lol

ah bro, you have a life...helll, don't you write to the Café via laptop at your nightly BINGO games down there at the Elvis church??
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
To answer the original question: Yes.

Burial Objects: #1. 1-80 AD Jeruselem #2 100 BC Bethlehem #3 3500 BC (Time Of Noah) #4 5,000 BC (Neolithic China) #5 Pliocene (Ice Age)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Revisiting this thread...
A few months ago someone was looking for references on the early occult statues of sculptor Michael Makras, and found only ONE -- this thread.
The gent contacted me to let me know that he had a Makras piece he and his wife wanted to be rid of: a "Baphomet Sigil" statue that Makras titled, "Satan."
It seems it made them feel uneasy to have it in the house, and I offered to take it off their hands.
They lived nearby and drove down with the statue.
I got the piece for free, but made it a point to treat them to dinner.
I now have two Makras pieces, the other being a 'grim reaper candle well' titled, "Ghoul."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
A bit of good luck there, do you have a photo ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'll have to take a few pics and post them.
- Albert Camus
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Please do, it would be interesting to them.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Makras “Ghoul” (with scrying crystal in candle well)
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/stevem......jpg.html
Makras “Satan” (Baphomet Sigil)
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/stevem......jpg.html
- Albert Camus
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Why yes I do. For example, my haunted key is a real cast iron key that was either for an old jail cell or maybe a hacienda gate. I found it in an antique store in Orange County CA about 30 years ago. And my pendulums are authentic Native American stone plummets which archaeologists believe were used to weight fishing nets or lines. But I know differently. They were used to locate game or water, at least that's what my audiences come to believe.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Genuine Artefacts (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL