The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » To jiggle or not to jiggle? That is the question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 20:06, Hideo Kato wrote:
Even if your Dribble, Riffle or Jiggle Pass is perfect, your audience see your action of Dribble, Riffle or Jiggle. After the Pass, you show the effect. Then the audience suspect your Dribble, Riffle or Jiggle.

This would seem to be in conflict with what you state here:
Quote:
In direct effects such as ACR, those Passes can be used much effectively.

A pass which seems to be some other overt action, such as a casual riffling of the pack or a dribbling of the cards to show that you are not keeping track of the location of the selection is a much better use of the techinique than to use it in an Ambitous Card routine. If you use these actions to control the card to the top (or bottom) of the pack and do not show it there you have a deceptive act.

If you put a card in the center of the pack, do something and then show the card on top of the pack you're not doing magic, you're exposing technique.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 20:06, Hideo Kato wrote:
In direct effects such as ACR, those Passes can be used much effectively.

I agree that there was conflict in my writing. Here, I would like to clarify what I wanted to mention.

If you insert the card face up in the center of the deck and the card appears on the top (face up), I call this as a "Visible Effect/Direct Effect".

If you insert the card face down in the center of the deck and the card appears on the top (face down), I call this as a "Invisible Effect/Logical Effect". (Because you show only the result of rising movement).

I think Dribble, Riffle or Jiggle Pass can be used more effectively in former type of ACR effect.

Hideo Kato
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I used to use the riffle pass, but it occured to me that it was obvious I was doing the pass everytime I riffled the deck. Now it's the classic pass, or if I'm scared then a cover pass. I also use the Herrmann turn-over pass for one trick.
Paul
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 21:44, Curtis Kam wrote:
"...If you can master the jiggle pass to the degree that Earl Nelson has, you will not have to bother with any other pass. Misdirection or no, it will fly by...."

The same can be said of Allan Hayden's Jiggle Pass, or at least the way I saw him do it 25 years ago. Just for the fun of it, he'd tell magicians to stare at his hands and then tell them he was going to do a pass, and still nobody could see it, me included. That being said, I'd suggest that you perform the Jiggle Pass only if a jiggle of the deck fits your mannerisms. I'm a somewhat fidgety person, so a jiggle wouldn't look out of place for me.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
The most effective part of the jiggle pass for me is the angle at which the top packet is brought to the bottom. A lot of time a covering 'jiggle' end motion is hardly required.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 23:06, PapaG wrote:
The most effective part of the jiggle pass for me is the angle at which the top packet is brought to the bottom. A lot of time a covering 'jiggle' end motion is hardly required.

Yes, this is the key point in Jiggle Pass. PapaG wrote "angle", but I think it is "position" of the top packet where it is shifted below. In that position, the movement of left fingers are more covered by right hand.

I noticed this point and recently I do Classic Pass in this position.

Hideo Kato
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Personally, I use a Hermann-style pass under cover of a slight body turn from the specs on my right to the specs on my left. I'm no technician (which is one reason I use this--it's quite simple), but I have performed it in front of some pretty "heavy hitters" who were "burning" me, and it flew right by them. When I did it for Reed McClintock, he looked at me and said, "Did you really DO a pass there?"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » To jiggle or not to jiggle? That is the question. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL