We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Is there a book on the subject? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizardwannabe
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Wizardwannabe
Has anyone ever written a book on the history of the magic shop in America? I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if such a book exists without my being aware of it but I thought I'd ask. If not a full-fledged book maybe a magic magazine has published a lengthy article on magic shops? I have the feeling that's more likely. Anything you know about any printed material on magic shops would be appreciated.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1552 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I think Robert Albo ( of the Classic Magic series ) had some books on magic shops not only in America but abroad..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Years ago in Genii, Jay Marlbrough wrote a monthly column about Magic Shops throughout the U.S. that he visited while traveling from booking to booking.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Julie,

That's the job I want! Can you stay as long as you want?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-07-19 22:13, Bob Sanders wrote:
Julie,

That's the job I want! Can you stay as long as you want?

Bob
Magic By Sander

Bob

You're first in line for the job (right after me!) Smile
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Hello,

The 1928 Henry Ridgely Evans book “History Of Conjuring And Magic” has a nice chapter (12 or 13 pages) titled “Laboratories Of Legerdemain”. Very interesting stuff although not devoted exclusively to American shops. The early US shops covered are Maurer, Hartz, Yost, Eureka, Martinka, C. Milton Chase, Bamberg, Brema and Roterberg. The rest of the article (European shops) is equally interesting.

I know there is a great article by W.W. Durbin about all of the magic shops that he personally visited; it was either in an early Sphinx, or more likely a Linking Ring. I have complete files of both and will do my best to find it.

Vol. 40, No. 7, page 228 (Sept, 1941)of The Sphinx has an article titled “Dealer’s in Magic and Spells” which cover some of the same ground listed above with additional interesting material.

There are many other articles I’m sure, but these were the ones that came to mind. Wish I had started a little index of them.

Happy history hunting, Mark Damon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Is there a book on the subject? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL