The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard ball stand-- why is the price so much? and the point of using? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I am interested in these billiard ball stands, from pictures I have seen on manufacturers' sites, but not exactly sure what they are. Do you know any companies you could recommend?

Evan
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Abbott's makes a beautiful billiard ball stand. It is a very nice utility prop that some magicians employ in conjunction with their multiplying ball routine. With it, you can apparently place a ball into the stand, yet still be "one ahead". Alternatively, you can apparently take a ball from the stand and have it vanish, showing both hands completely clean.

Most billiard ball stands take up to 6 balls and are made of wood construction. Abbott's can make the stands to fit either multiplying balls or multiplying golf balls. I believe they can do different colors as well.

The only problem I have experienced with the stand is that there should be a little more weight in the base. Quite often, I have to hold the base with one hand while placing or taking the ball with the other. This doesn't seem natural to me. But other than that, it is a prop with as much potential as your imagination will allow.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Where exactly do you find this on Abbott's website? I have had some problems with it, can you help me out?

Thanks for the reply,

Evan
BJ Mallen
View Profile
New user
Colon, MI
37 Posts

Profile of BJ Mallen
Give us a call, our website leaves a lot to be desired. 269-432-3235.

BJ Mallen
Abbott's Magic
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Tim Wright demonstrates the ball stand on his video of the "Multiplying Balls". It is very effective.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Perfect! Thanks for all your help guys. As far as purchasing, I will have to research this a little more, but will definitely be kept in mind.

Thanks again,

Evan
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Abbott's is the best priced workable model out there. I believe you can still get it with golf balls or regular billiard balls.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Owen Magic makes one also. The price is very high, though. There are different models from the Abbott's and Owen's models.

Why are they so expensive? Because it takes time, talent, materials, to make one. Get the Tim Wright video to see just what you can do with it. He is the only magician I ever seen use it.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do remember Neil Foster demoing it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I remember one that Fakini sells. I like the look of the top of it better than the other models, although the tripod part looks out of place.
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
85 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
Collector's Workshop has a Conradi style stand that I have and is amazing. Very under-priced, and you can't say that too much.

http://www.vikingmagiccompany.com/?nd=full&key=784

M1
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3372 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-07-11 12:15, Magicol-1 wrote:
Collector's Workshop has a Conradi style stand that I have and is amazing. Very under-priced, and you can't say that too much.

http://www.vikingmagiccompany.com/?nd=full&key=784

M1

Doesn't the "secret" seem more obvious in this horizontal presentation as opposed to the upright stands???
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
From as far as I know, some horizontal ball stands have spring action gi****** to help with the trick.

Evan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I dunno, I think holding them between your fingers is still best. I mean, did Cardini use one of these silly looking things?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3372 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 01:24, Pete Biro wrote:
I dunno, I think holding them between your fingers is still best. I mean, did Cardini use one of these silly looking things?

...But, Pete, some of us just LOVE apparatus for its own sake! Smile
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Maurice Rooklyn used a ball stand in his act. It was similar to the Collector's Workshop model, however it held seven balls (but only two of the cups were gaffed).

A complete blueprint for the construction of The Amazing Mr. Rooklyn's ball stand, can be found in his excellent book, Spherical Sorcery and Recollections of a Pro.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Alan-

I have done business with Fakini (Mr. Radtke) for years and never remember a ball stand. Please share some more- does he use the silicone sh*** for the gimmicks?

David
Devious Dan
View Profile
New user
Alabama
5 Posts

Profile of Devious Dan
I have used the same Abbott's Ball Stand of 37 years and I love it. It got to looking a little banged-up but was easy to to redo. I repainted it and added some plastic jewels to the front. I also replaced the velvet. It now looks better than new. It was a good 35.00 investment in 1968.
I also have an Abbott's Golf ball stand. But I prefer the billiard balls.
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
You could try to get ahold of a gumball machine and place the balls in there... put a quarter in and turn it so it releases the balls and pretend you're playing with giant gumballs. Don't forget, they actually make giant gumballs so you really could take a bite out of one.

Or just make your own stand... no need to spend 1 kabazillion dollars on one.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2005-10-22 14:06, yanyak5 wrote:

Or just make your own stand... no need to spend 1 kabazillion dollars on one.

Where did you find them for 1 kabazillion dollars? I have been looking and can't find them under 3 kabazillion! Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard ball stand-- why is the price so much? and the point of using? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL