The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cellini's Cigarette Routine...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Hi,guys

I've been doing some cigarette manipulation for some friends who smoke and I was wondering if the cigarettes Cellini does his routine with on Vol 2 of "Art of Street Performance" are lit or unlit.

Obviously, anything that can be done with a lit cig can also be done with an unlit one, but I was curious. (I realise that Cellini also uses w****n cigarettes for this routine, or at least part of it)

Thanks

Adam
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can't tell by watching. He smokes one of course for the "swallowing" bit, but the others could well be fakes. According to his handling, it would be really hot to handle if it was a lit cig.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Cellini uses lit cigarettes. The whole routine and explanation is in Cellini's book. It is a killer routine. Sonny Holiday used to do it on the street and end with a giant cigar appearing in his mouth.

You can also do it with unlit cigarettes and there is a version of that in the book as well.

Seeing cigarettes have become so unpopular these days it probably wouldn't be a great item to add to your street act but it is some pretty nice looking stuff.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I thought there were moves that involved clipping the cig between the two ends. I figured that would be enough incentive to use an unlit cigarette. I guess I was thinking of the book, not the video.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Cellini does use w****n cigarettes for manipulation -as he said so himself at one of his DVDs, but maybe I heared him saying this in his London Lecture DVD- but the best and most important part of his routine isn't the 'manipulation', but the smoke out of his mouth finish and here of course a real cig is used.. and don't forget, re *Sonny Holiday*, that Cellini too finishes with a large cigar..

I don't know though if this bit is Sonny's or Cellinis, but I suppose it is Cellinis ?

That smoke out of his mouth bit is a highlight of his act!!!!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It is Cellini's Sonny told me this.

The unlit routine starts off with a Frank Garcia move if memory serves. I'm pretty sure Sonny does that part of the routine in Art of Street performing one. I've seen Sonny do it a bunch of times too so my memory may be mixing up events.

When I met up with Jim to do street performing 3 I remember I showed him the wooden cigs and cigar I got from John Rogers for doing the routine. We talked a little bit about a fake cigar he used to do the routine with that lit up when he bit the end of it so that it looked like it was burning.

I'm pretty sure that that is on the International magic lecture tape of Jim doing the routine.

I do know that the routine in it's entirety is in the book. It is a great routine even if you just do the unlit bit where the cigar winds up in your mouth.

I have also done a lot of the routine for kids using crayola crayons instead of cigarettes.

Most of the stuff in Keith's cigarette manipulation can also be done with crayons and rolled up dollar bills. Cellini mentions doing it with "glitter sticks" whatever those are. I'd love to find out. I think he said they were something he learned to make taking the Chavez course. I have a funny feeling they are probably just dowels wrapped with glitter tape or something.

I am so brain fried at the moment I'm having trouble remembering much else.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The swallowing of the cig uses a lit cig. That's the whole point. The smoke leaks out of his mouth. BTW, Tony Vera (the king of washington square park) does the same routine.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Well, some might remember Carazini too, who did a whole act re smoke out of his mouth, and then, of course, good old Amadeo (Vacca)-the human vulcano-, this too goes back to the 1970s and much earlier...

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Tom, would be great if your movies there where downloadable Smile, they are all great and worth to store on ones own PC.

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Tom,

You rock buddy! Thanks for sharing that.

Best,

Dan-

Yfirum
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Yfirum
You rock for sure!
thanks!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I still do some cigarette magic, but I have changed it around to match the times. I no longer use real cigarettes, but rather the fake cigarettes (Puff Puff Cigarettes) and let my audience know that I have decided to quit using real cigarettes in my act - I put a cigarettes-are-bad-for-you slant on it, and I think the parents apprechiate that.

But I have also noticed that not everyone in the world is politically correct. About half the country doesn't even vote, and of the half that does ... half of them will disagree with the others. So that means 75% of the people don't care if you smoke or not - it's just the remaining 25% are willing to voice their opinion and influence politicians.

In fact, on several occassions this summer ... someone would notice me floating a cigarette. And then proceed to point it out to their children.

I do have an advantage of being in South Carolina, where tobacco is still a major cash crop. And considering the majority of my audiences are from the northern states, where tobacco is being banned indoors and what not ... well, it's something they don't get to see at home. Smile

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
That's amazing, only ever heard stories of cellini but seeing him is great
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Tom:

I have to add my thanks to you also. It is good to see good magic in a street situation from one of the masters. Thanks and keep up the good work. Great videos... I'll give you a call and we can chat.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The whole routine is available on the art of streets part 2
koz
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Tom - thanks for making those videos available - fantastic stuff!
Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2005-07-09 23:49, Danny Hustle wrote:
Cellini uses lit cigarettes. The whole routine and explanation is in Cellini's book. It is a killer routine. Sonny Holiday used to do it on the street and end with a giant cigar appearing in his mouth.

You can also do it with unlit cigarettes and there is a version of that in the book as well.

Seeing cigarettes have become so unpopular these days it probably wouldn't be a great item to add to your street act but it is some pretty nice looking stuff.

Best,

Dan-

For the uniformed (me ) what is the title of the book you refer to and where might I purchase it? Thanks, Manal
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
87 Posts

Profile of Shorty
Hi
Ask Shawn or Hörbi about it, does are friends from Jim Cellini.

http://www.idealmagic.com/html/magic_items.html

or

http://www.zauberladen.com
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Holy Smokes, Bat-magicians! $110!

Don't get me wrong! It's worth every penny. The stuff on his DVDs comes directly from the book, but the book gives you much more -- there's just no way to convey the written word to video ... witness books turned into movies!

Honestly, I paid $80 for my copy of The Royal Touch a couple, three years ago. The book is now becoming quite rare. You can check the likes of H&R, Bradbury for used editions, and maybe Denny's or Hank Lee's to find it for less for new, then there's always eBay. Try bookfinder.com, too Good luck, however, like I said, it's getting rare and hard to find.

Joe in KC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cellini's Cigarette Routine...... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL