We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Is this for real? Copperfield » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
From David:

Every two or three months we get a letter from people who found parts of the show “racey.” They say that they brought their kids and were surprised by certain elements, and certain things I say during the show. We want them to know that their concerns aren’t going unheeded.

I’ve devoted my life to expanding magic’s audience. Magic, in my view, should be an art form as sophisticated and appealing as the best of Hollywood and Broadway.

My “trix” ain’t just for kids. Our target audience is the widest group possible—all ages, all languages, all cultures and races. We’re not so different from the people who make movies with a “P.G.” rating. They, too, control the content of their films so that they’re appealing to the widest possible audience.

Which is why it would be interesting to know whether the people who felt the show was
“inappropriate” for kids also wrote letters when they took their kids to see E.T., Shrek, Harry Potter, Casper, etc. Because those films, all of which are “P.G.”, straddle—brilliantly—the adult-kid chasm.

You can be the most jaded adult, or the most innocent first-grader, and enjoy each of those movies. But each of those films contain dialogue that’s far more “adult” than my show ever has or ever will be. My staff has compiled examples of dialogue from those films that may surprise you.

Especially if you saw them with your kids and didn’t feel impelled to write to the film makers. (The list is appended at the end of this letter.)

My show is designed to display a sensibility that’s hip but not crude, sensual but not lewd, funny but not off-color. Robert Schuller, the preacher from Southern California, came to the show and commented that parts of it are sensual in a way that reflected, and respected, the natural sensuality that’s a part of life. That’s what we’re aiming for.

Some of the illusions, like “Panty Swap,” are just fun. The sight of levitating underwear strikes most kids as funny, not sexy. Adults find it sexual, the way some adults watching Shrek get the Michael Eisner jokes.

The “Voyeur” illusion is another example. To a kid, it’s two girls dancing, vanishing, reappearing. To an adult, it’s hotter than leather car seats in August. (At least I hope it is.) And so far as I know, the illusion hasn’t raised the sexual I.Q. of a single kid.

As far as “adult” situations, there is no nudity, no kissing, no sex, no violence, or anything else that appears so abundantly in the average thirteen-year old’s CD and movie collection.

This response is not meant to be taken as a refutation. We appreciate and welcome your comments and concerns, and take them to heart. You, the audience, are our most important collaborators. And we hope that those of you who found moments of the show
“racy” will come back; we’re constantly changing and evolving, growing and striving to analyze everything we say and do to strike a balance –and create a show— appropriate for all.

Surprising Moments From Family-Friendly Movies We Know and Love

Here’s the list my staff compiled. We think you’ll agree that nothing in our show comes close to the “adult” bits of dialogue in these films. Yet each of them is wonderful for adults and kids alike.

E.T.
One of the classic family movies of all time, E.T.’s dialogue contains some surprising turns of phrase, including:
“Penis breath,” “Douche bag,” “Son of a wonderful lady,” and “****.” Despite the language, adults and kids continue to love this film and come away from it with a lesson about loyalty, acceptance, and friendship, not naughty words.

Casper
Casper, that most child-friendly of ghosts, contains the phrases “This sucks,” “Piss off,” “The wonderful lady is Back,” and
“This really bites.” Also, the movie received a “P.G.” rating for scenes of
“comedic violence,” death, and themes involving death and loss. But Casper is clearly aimed at kids, who, as far as we have heard, emerged from the experience untainted, with parents who were untroubled by anything on the screen.

Shrek
Shrek, a multi-leveled howler, has “****” three times in one song, two “asses,” and a “*&%^.” So far, no complaints about language from distressed parents. Mostly, people wonder why the ogre Shrek sounds Scottish while his sidekick the mule sounds like he is from Brooklyn.

Harry Potter
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone, the family movie of the year, has “Blow me,”
“Bloody &*^^,” “Fat ass,” and a smattering of “**** s,” “asses,” and “&%^^#.” Not only is a child the star of the movie, kids compose the majority of its target audience. We’ve heard nothing but praise from parents, some of whom have taken their kids back for second helpings of Harry.

We’re not suggesting that these movies, which contain language or situations that some might consider “adult,” are a green light to spice up “family entertainment” with situations and language that some might deem “inappropriate” for kids. But we do believe that entertainment, whether it’s in the form of a film or a live performance, can be sophisticated and “hip” enough for adults, while also being appropriate, entertaining, and “phat” enough for kids. And, with the help of your thoughtful comments, we’ll do our best to keep evolving and growing in a playful, entertaining, and respectful direction.

Just thought I would show you this post.
Believe In Magic....I do!
ksvengali
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
4 Posts

Profile of ksvengali
Where did you get that from?

If it's from DC's camp.... then good. That's exactly what I would think everyone would want to hear. At least they are thinking about it. Nothing he does will please everyone... even though he's trying to do just that.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2272 Posts

Profile of Logan
I feel better now that I know that he actually gives a hoot. In my opinion, he should watch his own old specials and see what's different now...

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I think something is really wrong if you have to write a letter to defend your own show. Don't you think?

Justin
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
No, Justin, I don't. I didn't care for some of DC's antics when he came here to Minneapolis this Spring (maybe you saw him too?), but if this letter is from him then I see it as an intelligent commentary on how much his show is NOT like most of the common kid fare parading as PG in the theaters, which most parents don't complain about....it's a good retort. Whether I agree with him 100% is a different matter.
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
David did not write this to defend his show. He wrote it to explain why it is he does some of the things he does. David is one of the nicest guys I've ever met and he truly does care about what his audience thinks.

The show David is doing now is pratically brand new, and he is still working on things and getting ideas on how to make his show better. I think David has proven himself time and time again, and occasionally some of his material isn't that great. When he realizes this, he changes his show. And judging from things like this in his past, he will blow us all away with his new stuff pretty soon. Until then, give him a break. When I saw him recently, he got nothing but great reactions throughout the entire show, including the panty swap and blinky the clown.

He knows what he's doing. Smile
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2272 Posts

Profile of Logan
I sure hope you're right JAEII, because impregnating a woman on stage and getting her to give birth after one hour is a lot like school in the summer... no class.

Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
My question is, why did this tour turn out so much different from his last. I don't think he's ever needed to write a letter before. If he needs to write one now, maybe that should tell him to shape up? Just my opinion...

Justin
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Every tour is different from the last one. David is always changing his shows. He's trying out new things. If he thinks something is just plain bad, then he'll take it out of the show. However, I think he has learned in the past 30 years that every audience is different, and that the opinion of thirty upset magicians isn't going to have much of an effect on him. It's all about the audience, and obviously the show is going well with them. In order to stay the best, David is constantly changing the show and his personality to stay with the times. It is a formula that obviously works, as he is the most famous magician in the world today.

And, you don't know if this is the first time he's had to explain himself. Let's think about David in the past. Everybody think of The Magic Of David Copperfield VII, where he is still the sweet gentleman in the suits and sweaters; and then the very next year in "The Magic Of David Copperfield VIII, where he changed everything about his show, including his persona, his clothes, his performance, his music, and his illusions. I'm sure everyone went nuts and was thinking, "What is this guy doing to himself?" Well obviously, this is the David we all know today. So he's changing again, and chances are in a few years the end effect will still be the same; GREAT!

Ease up on him. The biggest complaints I've heard from are from magicians. The rest of the world still seems to love him.

Also, the illusion where he will impregnate a woman on stage. I have heard that this is not true, just a passing rumor, and that the article is not real. I could be wrong on this though. However, before we dog David for how disgusting this illusion is, maybe we should see it first. It's a little early to judge. I'm sure there were just as many negative comments the first time someone heard the effect of interlude. A woman passing through a mans body. That just sounds dirty. Of course now that we've seen it, it's an amazing illusion. LET'S SEE THE ILLUSION BEFORE WE JUDGE IT. It may turn out to be one of his best tricks. We just don't know.

and that's just my opinion...
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Interesting thread. However, when I took a look at that article I was strongly reminded of a tabloid. We don't know what the writer's sources were, and the fact that it was written for a Las Vegas paper makes me even more suspicious that it's just a rumor. I won't bash DC for rumors, only after he proves me wrong will I say what I think about it. Saying something before it becomes a fact would be wrong, pathetically tasteless and low class. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Hear, hear, IceRaven02. I also would rather wait and see before I judge DC.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2272 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hmmm, you all make an interesting point. The fact that the article could be a fake didn't really cross my mind...

But if it's true... I sure hope he does it with style and class... and emotion like he normally does his items. Like he touches the belly of the woman and a glow is seen or something, that's the impregnation (not the
'fun' way... but a way nonetheless). As the show progresses, her tummy becomes bigger and then after the show, a new born baby is brought out of back stage or something... I have no idea...

But I sure hope it's a rumor that isn't true!

Cheers,

Logan

JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I've been given an update about this Pregnancy Illusion:

The illusion is in fact real, and David has begun to perform it for his audiences however, it appears that this "trick" is not one in serious nature, and is in fact quite comical, with nothing to be taken seriously. David makes jokes during the entire illusion, and is not intended to be one of his serious dramatic illusions, such as flying or snow or portal, etc...

This is all I know right now, but I will give you some more detail when I hear something! I, in actuality, would like to see this illusion, as it sounds entertaining from the way it was described to me. Smile
Mystero
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Mystero
Just got to this post and I'm amazed that anyone considers some off color magic as career ending or even career damaging. Check his ratings and his sell outs. Mr. Copperfield continues to deliver excellent entertainment to his audiences. OMHO. Stay amazing, but mostly stay entertaining.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Maybe sales aren't hurting now, but his blue material will affect his sales his second time around. The friends I took to his show a couple of months ago refuse to join me when he comes to MN again in April.

Justin
Gr8neSS
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
53 Posts

Profile of Gr8neSS
Quote:
On 2002-12-05 17:28, IceRaven02 wrote:
...We don't know what the writer's sources were, and the fact that it was written for a Las Vegas paper makes me even more suspicious that it's just a rumor...

As someone who live's in Las Vegas and has relative's who work for the Las Vegas sun, I would like to say that I don't think "Las Vegas paper's" are any more likely to print rumors than any other news publication in other parts of the country... I'm not saying that they probably haven't printed rumors before ...just that I don't think you should single them out, because IMO all newspapers are equally untrustworthy... lol

Brandon
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Quote:
On 2002-12-02 11:53, Logan wrote:
I don't think that an illusion based around sex is a good idea... definitely not... sounds more perversed than amazing.

Why not?

I don't agree with all these critics. Why should magic shows be only for children? Why can't we try "different" things? I'm happy Penn & Teller exist, it's great that David Blaine removes his own heart in a tv show!
"Classic" stage shows are so boring: Magician in the box, out.. another box... with two girls wriggling around like a constipated fish, it looks like a live advertising for a magic dealer.

Magicians, in the 21st century, are doing the same acts again and again, with the same effects, the same presentation, the same stupid "funny" lines!

Copperfield wants to make a woman pregnant, Blaine eats a snake.
Perhaps the magicians who don't like this have no problem saying to the spectator (who paid to see the show) "Make your mind blank... should be easy", or other ****.
WHO IS TASTELESS?

Since my post was edited because of the last rude word, I try another version with "***", ("another ***" is not an "another identical expression"). If it's too rude again, please leave the "***".
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Well, I guess we know now it isn't a rumor. I just wish he had picked something else to perform, even if it's comical my morality is telling me it's still wrong.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I also wish he'd do a different trick, because his show is advertised to FAMILIES! Like it or not, kids go to the shows. I don't care if Copperfield does something like this for an adult, Vegas type show, but a family show?!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Alright, let's clear the air here.

JAEIII is right. I saw the trick on December the 10th. It is played purely for laughs, and is done quite well. A woman is brought on stage and "impregnated" by David. He gives the woman pickles, ice cream, etc. David makes a miriad of jokes during the trick. He sends the woman back to her seat, and 20 minutes later she joins DC again on stage. He has her take a seat, and selects another member of the audience to come on stage. A sonogram is placed up against the womans stomach, and a baby is seen to be sleeping inside. The second assistant is asked to randomly think of a card, and write it in big letters on a pad of paper that no one sees. The pad is placed square against her body. David then talks to his new child, and asks the baby to think of a card. The baby squirms and then holds up a card, the very card that the volunteer mentally selected. There is really nothing distasteful about the trick. It is filled with inuendo-but that's just what happens when someone tries to perform a trick as laughable and overtly sexual as that one. There is nothing wrong with the trick. It wasn't one of my favourites, but the more I thought about it-the more interesting the idea became to me. It was not an example of David's truer artistry-but you could tell it was one of those fun routines, that we all have in our shows and enjoy doing.

Secondly, anyone who says that David has lost his dramatic flair obviously hasn't seen "The Lottery". This illusion was dramatic, magical, and spectacular. While watching this trick-Copperfield made me proud to be a magician. Let's not resort to mud slinging guys-Copperfield has done more for our art then a lot of us could ever fathom. Let's not forget that.

Favourite DC moment of his December 10th Regina Saskatchewan show-during his illusion
"13" DC talks about how lawyers or members of the media can't participate. He says "If you're under the age of 18 please sit down, if you're a lawyer or a member of the media I would ask you to do the same, and if your the masked magician, kiss my ass!" Fabulous moment, the audience cheered-while I revelled in the glory of a magician who dreamed a line of comradery to all conjurors in the building.

Trust me guys-the next time you do a show, remember that the art is as popular as it is today because of the amount of exposure it gets in the media. Ie: Copperfield, Blaine, Angel, etc. Some of us may not like that-but it's a fraction of the truth. And further more-most magic is overtly sexual. The wand for instance-subconcious fallace? I think so... Smile

:dance:
xxx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Is this for real? Copperfield » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL