The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Unexpected Spectator Reaction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
I know this is a very old thread, but the explanation of CMH reminds me of something similar, althaug compared to yours it's not half as funny.

so here it is.

I performed static, a trick on the daniel garcia loops DVD(which doesn't reqire loops) and made the card float a few seconds.
I did all 3 phases.

my grandmother said: well of course, the card is static, that's why it is floating.

then I showed it to my grandfather, who is still a studing and should be smarter.
but then he also said: yes, I know. that's static.

both of them weren't surprised at all.
lol
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
Haha that's funny.
When I do perform the CMH I always use that very same patter. I use it because it is so odd and it makes people laugh, the ones that know science. For all the others it is usually clear that it can't be friction because they know it from experience.
Only smaller kids believe it. That's why I use different patter for them.

I still haven't done it for my physics teacher though....
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
There are people who are entertained by magic, and people who act as if you're challenging their intelligence or something.

I did CMH for one of my wife's friends. Instead of reacting the way most people do, she furrowed her brow, and stared and said "Hmmmm." She asked to see it again. Of course, most tricks aren't repeated but we all know this one is an exception.

So I did it again, knowing she was burning my hands. Again.."Hmmm, okay..." as if she'd figured something out.

Those people bore me. I just move on. I have plenty of friends who are so generous with their astonishment, even if I think I've messed up a little.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
I am reminded of a quote from Nathanial Schiffman's Abracadabra:
"If the audience feels stupid, the magician is doing magic wrong. It can't be restated enough: Magic is illusion, it is not puzzement. A magician's illusion should make you feel good about the world, not angry at yourself for being stupid. That's why magicians are disgusted when they hear poeple using the words 'magic tricks.' Magicians create illusions; hookers do tricks."

It's unfortunate that some people feel that if they can't figure out a trick, then they somehow feel stupid. There's no single solution to dealing with this problem. The easiest thing to do is to not perform tricks when such people are around. But there are psychological principles that good magicians I've seen employ. Whenever I attend Magic Chicago, I see a wide variety of performing styles -- but the good performers seem to have a certain humility regardless of how flamboyant they are. They don't make themselves appear clever at the expense of putting down audience members or trying to make audience members appear stupid. They are happily doing something *for* and *with* the audience rather than *against* the audience.

When I was a child, I knew people who could solve the Rubik's Cube in just a few minutes time who took it as a sign that they were more clever and smarter than others. Do one's best to never make one's magic be like that Rubik's Cube. And more importantly, do one's best not to turn the performance of magic into a power struggle or ego struggle.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
If you want, you can turn almost anything into a challenge . . . a lot of the problems are behavior and attitude related.
Cards never lie
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Everyone has basically touched on the basic points. The important issue is that you don't view this as some sort of rejection.

My old girlfriend never gave me props either One day I just finished making a tear away tuxido that could be ripped off in three seconds - She enters stage right - I said "oh I'm sorry, we're going to the supermarket... let me change". I went into a room and exactly 5 seconds later came out wearing jeans and a shirt..... her immediate response. "Put the tux back on. I liked it better".

Some people look at what we do as puzzles. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on her reaction but I would if she said YOU were boaring.

Try to do tricks that can not be percieved as puzzles - You'll get a better response.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I "fixed" a rubberband for a co-worker the other day. He had broken one of my #19's that I keep nearby to practice, so I said "hand it over" and "restored" the rubberband. He was amazed and had no idea how I'd done it... days later he was still telling me he hadn't figured out how I did it. I continue to shrug and tell him it was magic.

Meanwhile, another cowoerker who was in the room and saw the whole thing had only this to say: "there's a million rubberbands like that everywhere, how can he not see that you just switched em?".. no recognition that the illusion was performed well (judging by the reaction of coworker #1, who liked the illusion) or any of the moxie required to spontaneously do a broken and restored rubber band effect out of the blue when I wasn't even prepared beforehand.

Sometimes there's just people who are like that. I don't think there's anything to be done for 'em except refuse to give up the secrets when they say "so really, how did you do it?"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I did "Prohibition" tonight at a BBQ and my buddy's wife just looked at me and matter of factly stated that she "saw my left hand pop the cap off and drop the other in and re-cap it just as I smacked the bottom"! Alrighty then! (Sure glad she didn't notice the trap door in the bottle of beer she had just finished)! I felt no need to go beyond "Dang, I thought I was smoother than that, guess I'll keep practicing"! The others around us just looked at her with astonishment while shaking their heads. I was chuckling to hard to go on and I knew that involving her in any card tricks was out of the question!
PRICELESS!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Unexpected Spectator Reaction (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL