The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Some Questions on Colour Changing Knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Guys:

I have some questions here on Colour Changing Knives:

a) Are the Knives examinable by specs at the end of the effect?
b) Are the Knives examinable by specs at the beginning of the effect?
c) I am looking for a set of colour changing knives which are of

(i) Acceptable and useable quality;
(ii)Can last long; and
(iii)Affordable.

Could you guys give me some recommendation (Please indicate source)?

d) I noticed colour changing knives are available at http://www.trickshop.com.
Will this set of Colour Changing Knives satisfy the criteria listed in c)?

Thanks
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
Joe Mogar has THE best knives I've seen. He was trying to sell me a set at the SAM Convention last week. His lowest set are $45, and they come with a white knife, red knife and the gimmick. He sells different sets which come with shrinking, enlarging and more color changes. He also sold some knives to add to a current set.

Depending on what routine you do, they won't need to be examined. If you do an appearance and then vanishes and such, having the knife examined would ruin the flow. If you're doing the old 'Did someone lose a black knife?' type trick, then it would make sense to have it examined.

You can have them examined before and after the trick with misdirection.

Hope this helped!

- Adam
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Zhuanan,
The CC knives are a personal favorite of mine and I own several different sets ranging from relatively inexpensive to "you gotta be kidding" in price.

A basic, two knife set can be had for less than $10. You can do a very nice, clean routine with the two knives. See Michael Skinner's video. As far as handing the knives out, several different methods can be used and are incorporated into a variety of routines. I have found that it is usually not necessary.

Joe Mogar's knives are the "industry standard" right now. They are well suited for any routine you can come up with and there is a wide variety of color combinations available.

You can spend hundred's of dollar's on a set of knives. You will occasionally see a set of Sander's knives for $450 or more for sale on e-bay or even in the Café. The same goes for the "Scotty York" sets that come up from time to time.

If you practice a basic routine, almost any set of knives is effective. There is something to be said for the narrow shape of the Mogar's, Sander's as well as Lanny Kibby's knives. But the bottom line is: Learn to do the moves and routine flawlessly and you will not have a problem with any set. It ultimately comes down to personal taste and what you are willing to spend.

I personally own approx 40 Mogar knives and carry a four knife set with me most of the time.

ELM has a set of several different knives for a very low price.

Get a set you like and play with the moves and come up with a routine. There are many DVD's and books out there to help you with presentation ideas.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
A set of knives that has a rough and smooth texture to the two surfaces (stag horn and mother of pearl for instance) are a great help. This enables you to know which knives are which, and which surface is facing "up" on the gimmick.

The knives on the site you mentioned are adequate, but are smooth-surfaced. They will require a holder in your pocket, or some sort of pocket management to work with them.

Some routines require three knives, and if you want to pass knives for examination, you will need three knives--black, white, and gimmick. The set you are looking at only has two knives.

Other than that, they are okay.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Whit, you are describing Mogar's Stag three knife set. I carry the 4 knife Stag Miricle set which includes the VC knife. As I said above, These are very good knives. You can still do a very nice routine with a basic two knife set and it only requires keepng the gaffed knife in the right pocket and the un-gaffed knife in the left. A ten dollar knife set is easier to on the wallet if you are not sure that this is a trick you will use a lot.

Of course, Whit's dvd is a "must own" for any serious student of the CC knives. 'nuf said.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
You can buy 3 sets of the cheap little china made knives $30.00. Then you can make one of the gimmicked knives examinable buy making an ungimmicked black knive out of the two sets. Simply glue one of the halves over.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 16:24, fccfp wrote:
Whit, you are describing Mogar's Stag three knife set.

Well, that description fits Mogar's Stag three knife set, which he designed originally for my routine. It also describes Kibby's set, JP Jackson's set, Scotty York's set, the Sanders knives and many others. These sets range from $45 to $300 in price.

They are well worth the cost, because they do have the features that make the trick more effective and working with the knives easier, simpler, and more pleasant.

I have seen some sets of the cheap knives that have been doctored to make them more versatile. As mentioned above, you can make the third examinable knife by combining three different sets of the two-knife sets. You can add the rough smooth feature by making some wavy lines on the black handle with superglue gel. These mimic the look of the stag handles and gives you the rough smooth texture that makes the work easier.

Since you can get a three knife set from Mogar for $45, I can't see why anyone would want to spend $30 to create a three knife set from three cheap two-knife sets. You can use a moto-tool on the solid plastic Mogar handles to drill out some ridges to create the stag handle effect.
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 18:52, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 16:24, fccfp wrote:
Whit, you are describing Mogar's Stag three knife set.

Since you can get a three knife set from Mogar for $45, I can't see why anyone would want to spend $30 to create a three knife set from three cheap two-knife sets. You can use a moto-tool on the solid plastic Mogar handles to drill out some ridges to create the stag handle effect.

Good point Whit, however for those who already have a $10 set and wish to add an examinable one the upgrade would cost $20. But as you said if you were to buy them without previously owning any I would go for the $45.00 set.
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
[ Good point Whit, however for those who already have a $10 set and wish to add an examinable one the upgrade would cost $20. But as you said if you were to buy them without previously owning any I would go for the $45.00 set. ]

Thanks for the info! Can someone please tell me where can I get the USD 45 set? Which online shop sells this 3 knives set?

Thanks
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
I just had a look on http://www.magic-stars.com and couldn't find any mogar knives for $45.00 maybe some other brands are $45.00??
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I carry all the mogar knives and here's a link with the prices

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/shop/sea......ia=mogar

there are some that are close to the $45 range.
I recommend the haydn set, due to the rough/smooth.

Plus, joe has a lot of extra knives that go with that set for different endings
should you choose to branch out.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
The best knives I ever had was Whit Haydn ones but I sold them when I was turning into mentalism. I really miss them, they were the right size and you could know which side is which just by touching. Also his routine 'The intricated web of ... '(forgot!) was really cool! I will buy them again with the first opportunity when I will have some extra cash. Highly recommended.

Mr.Whit Haydn,

You look really different with the moustache!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 08:11, 1908 wrote:
Mr.Whit Haydn,

You look really different with the moustache!

That could only be an improvement... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Some Questions on Colour Changing Knives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL