The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis For Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I got a call today from a cient in Charleston West Viginia today. He wants to book my Comedy Hypnosis Show at his elementary school. I was wondering if anyone has done hypnosis for children? I never have, I do exclusive corporate shows, however they were able to get me my fee of $2500 plus travel/lodging (which I find quite strange, but money is money).

Anyway, my question is: If you have done hypnosis shows for children, what were your experiences? I currently use Dave Elman's script and Geoff Ronning's EKG induction, any advice would be helpful if I should take this shoow or not.

Thanks!
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
970 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Don't like to use hypnosis on children... that just doesn't feel right
(but $2500 sounds great Smile )
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I've been reading McGill's book, he has a section about hypnotizing children, he says that you should use their language...which makes sense, but I'd have to re-construct my inductions.

$2500 does sound great Smile
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
This is appaling
One day I will write a book
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Jordan, why do you say that?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I don't recall ever hearing of, or seeing any show to do with hypnotising kids...stay well clear.

Howard
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
The only way I've seen this done successfully was at a Cub Scout Blue and Gold Dinner 40 years ago. The performer had the good sense to use the dads as subjects, not the kids. The kids loved seing the fathers perform, but no children were hypnotized.

I don't want to even think about the liability issues that would be raised by hypnotizing children in a school show. If anything happened, even if seemingly unrelated to the hypnosis, your *** would be grass. Remember, children legally cannot give informed consent (which is implicit when an adult comes up on stage).

I agree with Howard. Walk away quickly, or offer them your mentalism show. It could end up being the worst $2500 you ever earned.

Bob Baker (M.D.)
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Heck, I cannot beleive your isurance would cover such a performance.

I know mine would not.

Do you have coverage?

Jack
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Jack, I am actually looking for insurence right now, who do you use (feel free to pm me). In my contract it says, "Josh London is not legally responsible for any accidents caused my either himself, volunteers, or the audience." That has helped me in the past when I did a high school show and a kid fell off the stage. Nothing happened to him, but the parents were ****ed.

I think I might walk away from this one because my Mentalism show is suited for adults.

Thanks guys.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 13:54, joshlondon wrote:
I got a call today from a cient in Charleston West Viginia today. He wants to book my Comedy Hypnosis Show at his elementary school. I was wondering if anyone has done hypnosis for children? I never have, I do exclusive corporate shows, however they were able to get me my fee of $2500 plus travel/lodging (which I find quite strange, but money is money).

Anyway, my question is: If you have done hypnosis shows for children, what were your experiences? I currently use Dave Elman's script and Geoff Ronning's EKG induction, any advice would be helpful if I should take this shoow or not.

Thanks!

$2500? For an elementary school??? C'mon!
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Totally legit performance fee! It is a private school and private schools out here in san diego charge $10,000 per student per year. I also got it from All Time Favorites so the lead and fee are legit.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 00:57, joshlondon wrote:
Totally legit performance fee! It is a private school and private schools out here in san diego charge $10,000 per student per year. I also got it from All Time Favorites so the lead and fee are legit.

I've been performing at private schools in New England, where tuition is $25,-$30,000 per year and none of them have EVER had a budge that large.

However, if in fact you are correct, I think I'd pass. Over the years I've been asked by middle schools to perform a hypnosis show, but always felt very uncomfortable putting kids in that age group "under".
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Middle school kids are great hypnosis volunteers. I've done a number of them and they've all been extraordinary shows. Think again about that market, remember anyone can be hypnotized, heck, a bird can too!

I am honored that I'm your hero, you'll see a book out soon.
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Among other things, you need a new lawyer.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 15:53, joshlondon wrote:
Jordan, why do you say that?

If you realy need to ask this you have serious issues.

It is just morally wrong to do this.

Children are innocent beings that do not need humiliating or being psychologicaly messed up in front of a crowd of all their peers. Especialy in this day and age.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I am sorry that you feel that way. I don't have any issues, I've had friends do elementary school shows without any flaws, in fact they were the best shows he did. I am not there to mess up their minds.
Quote:
Children are innocent beings that do not need humiliating or being psychologicaly ****ed up in front of a crowd of all their peers.

If you know anything about hypnosis (and I hope you do, because it sounds like you don't) you'll know that as a hypnotist I am just guiding them into the trance state. We've all experienced it...watching tv and "zoning" out our girlfrinds or wives, etc.

I'm a full time entertainer and I think it is disgusting when someone else says something like that when they seem to have no idea about the subject of hypnosis at all.

Have you read Ormand McGill's book? He says children are a wonderful group of people to hypnotize. They are energetic, animated, etc. making a good show.

I would suggest reading some stuff about hypnosis before you say that I have issues. This is a post and I asked a question. Yu gave your imput and I gave mine, so what?
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Josh, it seems to me that you have already made up your mind on whether to do this show or not. Your post appears to have been done merely to gloat about landing such a gig. Things like your references to the price tag of such an innapropriate gig and your inabillity to see someone elses point of view only serve to back this up.

Ormand McGill may very well have suggested this, so what!! He also wrote a rather nice section on Challenge Hypnosis an induction that relys on cutting off oxygen from the brain I beleive, ie. strangling your subject. How professional.

I seem to have hit a nerve with my second post, perhaps you know I'm right, perhaps not. However, I do not apreciate the tone of your post at all. I posted first, you asked me to elaborate which I gladly did. Your replied with the above.

I am not trying to discredit you, I am aware of what hypnosis is and I also have good values and morals. Doing this show is wrong.

Nuff Said!!!!!
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I agree nuff said. I might/might not take the show, I'm still thinking about it. sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Also, the way mcgill "cuts off oxegen" is he used to have a bucket of ether on the side of the stage which a fan blew towards the audience, I do not agree with this.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2707 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I think the parents of the children would be outraged if this show went on without individual parental permission. If any child behaved in even a slightly different mannor after the show you'd have a huge legal case on your hands. I always thought there was an age restriction on these things if it was a performance rather than therapy.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Josh:

Quick question. If you were being asked to do the show for free, would you take it? I would guess not. As several have pointed out, the risks of working with children this age, particularly in our litigious society, greatly exceed the perceived benefit.

I understand that $2,500 is a lot of money to walk away from. There will be plenty of other shows....

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis For Children (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL