The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis For Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 16:25, joshlondon wrote:

I see no problem for hypnotizing kids, no one has given me a good excuse or answer as to why it is "bad."

As for the money, believe me or not (and to be honest, I could care less if you don't believe me) I got the deposit of $1,250.00 today in the mail with the signed contract. The way that the school could afford so much is because it is a private school and the tuition is a lot of money. I didn't really get into how they have the money, because I could care less.

So any good answers as to why I (or anyone else) shouldn't do this? Other than the usual, "It's morally wrong." Explain.

If this needs to be explained to you, then I suggest full time consideration of another profession. That said, I wish you the best with this performance.


Posted: Jul 26, 2005 4:49pm
-------------------------------------
By the way Josh London. I'm curious. How long have you been a full time stage hypnotist and how many shows have you done? Your picture would indicate that you're quite young and maybe not so experienced in this type of venue.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
If this needs to be explained to you, then I suggest full time consideration of another profession.

Quote:
If you realy need to ask this you have serious issues.

(Jordan, in response to someone asking him why hypnotizing kids is "appaling".)

Could you please humor us and explain? I'm sorry if I'm stupid, but I honestly don't understand why this is harmful. Why is it that some with experience hypnotizing kids say it's fine, but the people that say it's wrong refuse to explain why? I am sincerely baffled about this resitance to address the issue.

Quote:
How long have you been a full time stage hypnotistand how many shows have you done?

Who are you adressing?


Posted: Jul 26, 2005 7:27pm
-------------------------------------
I see who you were addressing now, nevermind.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Spinnato,

I was expecting some kind of generic answer like that from you, however, that's ok. I've been doing hypnosis for since I was 15. I am now 24. I started doing shows when I was 16 and it just grew. As for how many shows I've done...I have a little over 1,000 signed contracts under my belt.

Also, I would like it explained to me, it seems that you nor no one else can give me a good reason.

Also, another question to get you thinking; What is the age cut off. Spinnato, you say it's wrong, that's fine, you have not given me a good explanation, it is just your moral beliefs and I respect that. But what is the minimum age you'll do a hypnosis show for?
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
I'm done with this topic. I wish you well.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Thanks for participating. If you ever change your mind and want to explain why you think hypnosis for kids is bad; I'd love to hear your views on the topic.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I think I'm done too. After all the threads posted (something like 110) no one has given a good answer. Therefore, I must say that this is a matter of personal judgement.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-27 00:19, joshlondon wrote:
Therefore, I must say that this is a matter of personal judgement.

Well said. When's the show? I'd like to know how it turns out.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
To be honest, I already did the show, I just wanted to see what everyone thought about hypnotizing children. And believe me or not, it was a great show and everyone loved it. The show was July 14th.
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
Bottom line: Kids are developing, constantly so. Placing them in a highly suggestible state for any length of time might have unforseen consequences or alter them in a never-knowledgeable way.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
It should be so obvious that we don't have to explain it to you in the first place. Kind of like telling you not to fly to close to the sun. We already figure if you are a professional you HAVE the info already. The sun is hot don't go seems silly to say.

Flying too close to the sun will cause great physical harm or death. Are you saying that hypnotizing kids is inherently harmful? How? As far as professionals having the info about hypnotizing kids: Ormond McGill says it's ok, and Lee Darrow, another professional, has 20 years of experience hypnotizing kids with no problems. That doesn't mean it's perfectly safe. But I, as a non-professional, who knows little about hypnosis, am curious about this issue. So far I've only heard first-hand accounts from the folks who say it's not inherently bad. I'd like to hear the other side of the issue.

Why won't you guys explain why you think it's bad? I'm mystified by the resistance to explain why it's bad, when you're perfectly happy to say that it is bad.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Josh:

I'm a physician trained in medical hypnosis. In addition, I paid for my medical education performing hypnosis in the Catskill resorts. Hundreds of shows. I'm 53 years old. I have some experience. In hypnosis and in life.

I would not have accepted the show you were offered. I think the risks would be too high. You are dealing with a vulnerable population (vulnerable to ridicule from peers, vulnerable to adverse reactions to hypnosis you can't predict nor are trained to deal with). Further, you open yourself up to great liability. As I mentioned, children legally cannot give informed consent. If anything untoward had happened, you and the school would have been at great financial risk. As someone else pointed out, even if a child had merely tripped and fallen off the stage, an angry parent with a hungry lawyer could have caused you great misery--both personal and financial.

Of course, you are free to reject the advice of those more experienced than you, as you did. However, I hope you will give careful consideration to such potentially risky gigs in the future. Just because one gets away with driving 90 mph on I-95 one time does not make it a wise thing to have done nor to do again.

Bob
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Bob:

Thanks for your input. You brought up some good points that others have brought up: being teased, liability, consent. But do you think it is inherently harmful to hypnotize kids, or just that there are potential peripheral concerns?

The concerns you mentioned are of course significant; but I'm still curious about whether the actual act of hypnosis is directly harmful to a child.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-27 13:27, jimtron wrote:
Bob:

Thanks for your input. You brought up some good points that others have brought up: being teased, liability, consent. But do you think it is inherently harmful to hypnotize kids, or just that there are potential peripheral concerns?

The concerns you mentioned are of course significant; but I'm still curious about whether the actual act of hypnosis is directly harmful to a child.

How many times are you going to ask this question???
Are you not satisfied with the answers you've been given?
Please ...put this **** issue to bed!
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
No, I don't think that hypnosis is itself inherently harmful. It is used therapeutically frequently in children. I myself have used it to help children prepare for upcoming surgery. It was wonderful to reduce their anxiety and improve their post-operative course.*

However, hypnosis cannot be taken out of context. I think that a stage performance has the potential to harm a child--not deep long-lasting psychological harm--but embarrassment in front of peers, adverse reaction, etc. Why put a child at even minimal risk simply for the sake of entertainment or a few bucks? Children are precious and potentially fragile (I have 7, so I speak from experience!) We should honor and elevate them, something which a performance of stage hypnosis simply is not designed to do.

Bob


* See my book "Successful Surgery: A Doctor's Mind-Body Guide to Help You Through Surgery" published by Pocket Books.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
How many times are you going to ask this question???
Are you not satisfied with the answers you've been given?
Please ...put this **** issue to bed!

Spinnato:

Earlier on this thread you said you were done with this topic. If you prefer not to participate, that is certainly you're prerogative. If myself and others are still interested, is there any reason why we shouldn't continue discussing it? No, I haven't been satisfied with "it's just wrong, and if you don't know why then I'm not going to tell you."

Why are you so eager to end this conversation?

Bob:

Thanks for answering the question directly. Do you have an opinion on Lee Darrow's post about his experiences with kids? At what age do you think it's relatively safe for stage hypnoism? Or is it dangerous at any age?
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Though I don't know Lee personally, his posts are thoughtful and he clearly speaks with the authority of training and experience. And from Lee's picture I'm guessing that he's not 24 years old. Smile What he does works for him, and I respect that.

I have done stage shows for kids in high school. That would be my personal lower age limit.

Bob
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Bob:

I appreciate your feedback.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I have to agree with Bob. It is all personal judgement and since he seems to be the only one who has good credentials, I tend to listen to him more. Thanks Bob!

As for Danny, I don't need to explain myself to you. However, I will (and I'll be accepting some stupid response from you, it's just the way some people work). I booked the show, then asked the question. As for lies, yes, I did lie about that one, but I can assure you this, I have done over 1,000 hypnosis programs, and did start when I was 15. I did my first (magic) show for Sony when I was 15. I was dabbling in hypnosis at that age.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate it if you'd not call me a liar, and instead give a good response as to why hypnotizing kids are bad. I don't really think you can, I don't know you and you don't know me, but I don't think you have the slighest clue about hypnosis.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 13:54, joshlondon wrote:
I got a call today from a cient in Charleston West Viginia today. He wants to book my Comedy Hypnosis Show at his elementary school. I was wondering if anyone has done hypnosis for children? I never have, I do exclusive corporate shows, however they were able to get me my fee of $2500 plus travel/lodging (which I find quite strange, but money is money).

Anyway, my question is: If you have done hypnosis shows for children, what were your experiences? I currently use Dave Elman's script and Geoff Ronning's EKG induction, any advice would be helpful if I should take this shoow or not.

Thanks!

This is obviously a joke... right?
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
Long before this thread got where it is, I wrote Lee privately, telling him of my respect and regard for him.

Now, I just want to support the posts of Dr. Bob Baker. There is great wisdom and experience there, on many levels, and I sincerely hope that interested parties heed his advice.

Sincerely,
Richard Busch
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis For Children (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL