The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Musical training and mentalism/magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Richard,

In another thread you posted this:

Quote:
On 2005-07-12 13:25, Richard Osterlind wrote:
You know, I often think that if someone had to study the basic rudiments of any instrument, as a prelude to magic, they would not complain about sleights, nail writers, etc.!

I thought this was a topic worthy of its own thread. I'm curious to know how much you feel that your instrumental training helped you with the "manual dexterity" aspects of performing magic and mentalism. The reason I ask is that I'm a pianist, and everyone assumes that my piano skills must have made learning sleights and so forth easier. In reality, I found this not to be the case at all. Of course I can't tell for sure, because I don't have an alternate, non-piano-playing self to compare notes with, but as far as I can tell it didn't help a lick with the finger-flinging.

Where it did help a great deal, in a somewhat unexpected way, was in presentation. Playing music, and especially learning to improvise, taught me a lot about things like tension and resolution, the effects of timbre and pace, the huge difference that a tiny shift in timing can make, etc. Is your experience similar, or am I out on a limb all by myself on this one?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quinn,

Your post is excellent!

When I made that comment, I was referring more about the necessary discipline to master an instrument. For instance, unlike magic, you can't perform for anyone on any instrument without putting in a lot of work.

As far as musical skills helping your magic, what you said about presentation pretty much hits the nail on the head. I really believe magic is an art and the same principles that apply to other art forms such as music, painting, etc., apply to magic as well.

Richard
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
I have to say the same , I studied classical trumpet, later I learned jazz and
improvising and this realy helps in presentation.
i´m still a music teacher.

mario
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Mario,

And the work makes you respect the art.

Richard
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
The biggest lesson music has tought me was in my practice technique. My first music teacher tought me that if I can't do it slow I can't do it fast. I think this also applies to sleights and such. Also, if I was learning a greuling solo, I would work on just a few lines until I had them smooth. Then I would learn a few more lines and blend the two together seamlessly. Eventually, I knew the whole piece. I do the same thing when I practice magic, especially card and coin work. Get the first 2-3 sleight down and flowing smoothly then move on. After all the technical stuff has been worked through, I begin to add patter. Then I practice the whole thing to make sure it is perfect. It takes a lot of time a patience to practice this way but I feel it makes it more solid. I hope everyone can understand this. Feel free to ask me any question or tell me if I'm completly off base. haha

Peace,
Justin
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Justin,

You just gave one of the most valuable lessons for learning magic in your post!

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Honestly, Justin - I think you may have justified having your own week as a special guest on the Café!

Interestingly, we're only on Day Two of this Osterlind Week and I think I've picked up as much useful information as in any two volumes of Tarbell.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Thanks for your comments, Richard. I was glad to read your clarification re: the discipline of playing an instrument. (If it turned out that drums really did make sleights easier to learn but piano didn't, I was gonna be seriously bitter.)

I've noticed that a disproportionately high percentage of mentalists are also musicians. Brad Henderson plays trumpet, and actually drew parallels between scripting a routine and shankarian analysis in a lecture I saw. Mark Strivings is a saxophonist, and I've heard of several others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Who's up for forming a house band for one of the conventions?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
emesp82
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of emesp82
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 23:24, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Interestingly, we're only on Day Two of this Osterlind Week and I think I've picked up as much useful information as in any two volumes of Tarbell.

*jeep!
--Chet

Yes, this week is invaluable, I think it is much more precious than 100 magic lectures!
Internet, Steve and Richard make that possible!

Giacomo De Carlo
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 03:05, Quinn wrote:
Thanks for your comments, Richard. I was glad to read your clarification re: the discipline of playing an instrument. (If it turned out that drums really did make sleights easier to learn but piano didn't, I was gonna be seriously bitter.)

I've noticed that a disproportionately high percentage of mentalists are also musicians. Brad Henderson plays trumpet, and actually drew parallels between scripting a routine and shankarian analysis in a lecture I saw. Mark Strivings is a saxophonist, and I've heard of several others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Who's up for forming a house band for one of the conventions?

I also play a few instruments as well, guitar, piano, and play around with the drums on occasion. It is interesting how many mentalists are also musicians but then again most people learn to play an instrument of some sort during some part of their life. Knowing music has certainly helped me in my performances. Discipline and dedication being the most valuable lessons I've learned. One can compare sight-reading to walking through an effect for the first time with an open book.

Richard, thanks for visiting the Café again - I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

-Patrick Redford
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words. Sounds like if you guys want to start a "house band" Patrick alone would be half of it!

Richard
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Richard,

Thanks for the validation. I am glowing like a light bulb. I never really knew where to express my opinion on the matter. Thanks for the opportunity. Interestingly enough, because of the way I practice my magic, I can do only a dozen or so tricks that are ready for public display. At least this is my opinion, but I am my worst critic. I would be happy to talk about the relationship between music and magic with anyone at anytime. I believe my aol instant messanger name is in my profile. I can also be contacted there. As far as me becoming a guest of honor, I feel greatly underqualified. I consider myself to be quite a novice , even after a couple of years. I don't think I have ever even created my own effect. Oh well, thanks for all the kind words. I look foward to hearing from some of you.

Peace,
Justin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Musical training and mentalism/magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL