The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Questions on Building Your Own Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Hey everyone!

It has recently come to my attention that I need a webpage to help promote the start of my magic career. I have been studying magic for about 10 years now, have looked at many individual magic websites over the past few months(if not years!) and have gotten many ideas of what I should include in my site. My basic outline includes a homepage with links to a bio, types of shows I do, pictures, videos, testimonials, and of course a contact page for bookings.

One of the biggest problems I'm having is choosing a proper/available domain name. Ideally I feel the domain name should be easy to remember and describe me as a magician. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. To give you a brief idea of who I am: I'm a college student at Ithaca College, who performs with an improv comedy troupe, and the type of magic I perform is close-up. A domain that included any of this would be great!

I'm also curious about what you all think is important/necessary to include in a personal webpage as a magician or as a client. Would you keep or add to the links that I listed above?, Are you sick of magic sites that only use black backgrounds? (No offense Magic Café),etc.

And lastly I was curious about copyright information regarding performing copywritten tricks and the video recording there of for use on the web. Thanks a lot for your help!

-Eric
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Why not use your name? I use jimmycards because that is the name I perform under.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
I agree, one should use one own name. If you want to succeed, or even survive, you need to be ready to be a public person. Unfortunally, being ready does not mean you will become one.

You can upload videos of yourself performing trick if you do not expose them, that is both ethically and legally correct way.

As an advice from a working marketing guy (well new produc development really but close enough), be consistent, be focused and, above all else, show quality! That goes with every suit you wear, every picture you show and every word that comes out of your mouth. Select you target audience, determine the price/quality level and stick to it.
Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Thanks for the ideas guys! I have thought about using my name, however my last name is somewhat long and is commonly misspelled/not easy to remember. Therefore my aim is more toward a short, easy to remember domain name. A friend of mine suggested simply ithacamagic.com because that's where I'll be performing most of my magic within the next two years, but I'm worried if the site is a success, I'll have trouble changing the name when I graduate from the college and leave the Ithaca area.

Also, what do you think important features on a magicain's website should be? (see original post)

And Pekka thanks for your advice. Professionalism is on the top of my list for creating this website. I've already lined up my friend who's a computer science major to help me with the site, and I also have a photography major who's willing to take pictures for/of me. I understand that I'm not only representing myself, I'm representing the city of Ithaca and the entire magic community.

I'll eagerly await your thoughts!

Thanks,
Eric D.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Use good use Ericmagician.com
or Ericksmagic.com
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
How about http://www.dittomagic.com , as long as you don't mind being like everyone else. Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Questions on Building Your Own Website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL