The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
In a nutshell, I didn't like it as much the first.
In this movie Mr. Wonka is a clutz. The songs are not very intelligent and border on nonsensical rap tunes. There is only one "oompa-loompa" because they used the same face for all of them. It skips the part where Charlie makes the mistake with the bubbles and Wonka gives him credit simply for being the last kid standing instead of the one with a high virtue.
There is a scene where Wonka creates a palace for a prince which doesn't tie into the storyline or make sense.

The positives to the film are this:
Relates the story of how Wonka came to have a passion for sweets.
Relates the story of how the oompa-loompas were found and shows their land.
Shows Wonka's father and his home along with the relationship reconciliation.
Shows the effects of each child as they are show leaving the candy factory.

I give this film a 3 out of 5 stars....
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
51 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
Thanks for the review! The original will always be the best, but now you got me interested(curious) to see the new one, plus I do like Tim Burton's warped visions.
Did you see the wonka take-off on Family Guy? Pawtucket Pete???
HYSTERICAL!!!!!!
~ tc ::--.---( )
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 12:08, Devious wrote:
It skips the part where Charlie makes the mistake with the bubbles and Wonka gives him credit simply for being the last kid standing instead of the one with a high virtue.

So it's a closer adaptation of the book then is it?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
Nice review! I didn't expect it to be better than the original. I'll probably rent it when it comes out for DVD.

Yeah, the Family Guy version was hilarious! One of my favorite episodes.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I might be out of it, but doesn't the movie not come out till friday?
if so how doo you already have a review?
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 17:30, Grandillusionsmagic wrote:
I might be out of it, but doesn't the movie not come out till friday?
if so how doo you already have a review?

I pondered this same thing

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I am a local celebrity and I recieve advance screening passes...
To prove that I saw the movie the elevator is glass on all six sides and has jetpacks for boosters....Wonka's father is Count Dooku from ROTS.
Charlie's parents are shown throughout the film.....
Charlie turns down Wonka's offer because Wonka won't accept his parents living in the factory and finally changes his mind after a few days whilst Charlie is giving Wonka a shoe shine.
Wonka smashes his face into the elevator twice whilst not remembering that the glass is clear.
The puppets all melt at the very entrance to Wonka's Factory. It's my favourite tune in the film.
James Earl Jones voice of Darth Vader is the narrator.
The "Oompa Loompas eat little green worms, but prefer the cocoa beans and even celebrate it in ritual dance complete with cocoa bean masks.
The Oompas first seen costume is red and they later don Yellow Skull Shower caps whilst swimming in the Chocolate River.
The river boat is a giant Red SeaHorse
The first tune in the film is "Willy Wonka The Magician"
Charlie moves into the candy factory and Wonka even recreates Charlies old home in it complete with snow.
The oompa loompas prefer the hot climate because their homeland is in the tropics so WOnka keeps the heat turned up in the factory.
Wonka went to the Oompa Loompa land in search of new and exciting flavours.
Wonka's fathers profession is as a Dentist.
Wonka's Father has newsclippings of his sons stories all along his office wall.
Mike Tv teleports into a scene from 2001 during the monkey scene.
The Monolith is a wonka bar.

I can go on?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Please do...
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Squirrels shell almonds and then drag Veruca into the incinerator because she is a bad nut after she tries to grab one. A lone squirrel taps her father right behind her.

Wonka started with a lone store on the corner in town. All of his factory workers were laid off after Intellectual Property theft. Charlie's father works as a toothpaste cap maker, but is replaced by a red robot. He later regains employment as the red robot maintenance service tech.

Charlie's mother is very attractive and unemployed. Little Wonka is shown trick or treating and dons a ghost costume because of his dental work.

Wilmer Wonka has very unique bicuspids.

Agustus eats a part of his golden ticket.
Violet is a black belt her mother is a beauty contest winner
Mike Tv plays an old video game on an atari system.
Veruca's ticket is almost stolen by a heavy set factory worker
Charlie opens a total of 3 tickets.
Wonka wears two different kinds of sunglasses.
Wonka never uses a cane as in the old film.
Wonka never sings as in the old film.
The Indian Palace is made of chocolate.
A little brown bird is hatched from a chocolate egg.
Mike Tv is shown in stretched form at the end of the film.
Gene Wilder would NOT have liked this film!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Please don't I think I believe you!

I like Tim Burton films so am deffinatly going to go and see it.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed several parts of this film, but because it was directed by Tim Burton I had much higher expectations. I believe that they chosed the wrong kid to play charlie and I don't think that Johnny Depp was allowed to infuse his dark demeanor into the part.

It wasn't a very intelligent film...
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Deep Roy (THE Oompa Loompa) has an amazing career behind him...from being the stunt double for many child actors and countless appearances as diminutive characters this is his BIG shot at fame.

Those who remember Flash Gordon (1980? Queen soundtrack) might remember the tiny guy being led around by a leash by Ornilia Muti (the world's sexiest dame)...that was Deep Roy.

This is a huge (pun intended) role for Mr. Roy who earned it and must have worked his butt off playing all the Loompas. Cool. Go Deep...Roy.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:

Interesting. In the original book, and the Gene Wilder version, Charlie only finds 1 ticket.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 11:51, Devious wrote:
Gene Wilder would NOT have liked this film!

I thought he was still alive. I know he made a cancer come back in 2003.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
No sir, Gene Wilder has passed on a few years back.
I didn't mean to state the Charlie found 3 tickets, but that he opened 3 bars of chocolate before finding the golden ticket.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Gene Wilder is still alive. He has a project currently in production.

Just a clarification.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000698/
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thanks Devious, with your rundown on the movie I feel like I have already seen it so now I don't have to spend my $8.00 to see the movie or spend my $25.00 at the snack bar.................................NOT.
I will probably be watching it this weekend and I believe that I will enjoy it.
Different strokes for different folks sort of thing.
Also, I really liked the "original" movie and that will have nothing to do with my enjoyment or lack thereof of this rendition but Thank you for your critique of the movie.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I saw the movie last night at a midnight showing (they aren't as exciting as people make them out to be) and despite many difficulties with the projectors that resulted in a theatre full of booing and complaining people, the movie was very entertaining. Very funny, but nowhere near the quality of the 1971 version.

The major improvement with the new one is that it's much more true to the book. For example, they include the Indian prince that wants a chocolate palace, it includes Charlie's father and his employment at a toothpaste factory, the story takes place in the winter, squirrels instead of geese, it includes the more detailed background on the Oompa Loompas in Loompaland, no Slugworth/gobstopper test, hair cream room being discovered as they TRAVEL through the chocolate river, and countless other details.

The ending of the recent version, though, didn't thrill me. I was a little disappointed even though it was a perfectly acceptable ending. I don't remember the book ending this way...if it did, please let me know.

If you're comparing to the the 1971 movie, all of the characters are way better in the old one. Gene Wilder was the ultimate Wonka, and Veruca, Mike, Violet, and Augustus were perfect. The original Mrs. Bucket and Grandpa Joe were also better. And, of course, the orange and green Oompa Loompas would beat the new ones in a Loompa fight. However, I liked the new Charlie much better than Peter Ostrum. Freddie Highmore is the perfect boy for the part. He has an apparent innocence that you can detect from his face alone.

The best part of the movie was its score. I went out and bought the soundtrack this afternoon because I liked it so much. Despite what Devious said about the new Oompa Loompa songs, I enjoyed them. Of course, they're not as good as the original songs, but I still think they're catchy. Danny Elfman's score takes over the whole film and transforms it into a magnifacent fantasy. (The opening credits with the amazing visuals and music make the movie worth seeing again for me).

Please DON'T wait for this to come out on video. This is definitely a movie that's intended for a big screen. I can guarantee that it will not be the same on your own television (no matter how advanced).

Even though it's not as good as the 1971 version of the story, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is well worth making a trip to a theatre.

Enjoy!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 14:19, Doug Higley wrote:
Deep Roy (THE Oompa Loompa) has an amazing career behind him...from being the stunt double for many child actors and countless appearances as diminutive characters this is his BIG shot at fame.

Those who remember Flash Gordon (1980? Queen soundtrack) might remember the tiny guy being led around by a leash by Ornilia Muti (the world's sexiest dame)...that was Deep Roy.

This is a huge (pun intended) role for Mr. Roy who earned it and must have worked his butt off playing all the Loompas. Cool. Go Deep...Roy.

I go further back than that. Deep Roy is a murdeous toy in the Dr. Who episode "The Talons of Wang Chiang" and he's a chess opponent who gets to electrocute people who lose to him in the Blakes 7 episode "Gambit."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 19:21, Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. In the original book, and the Gene Wilder version, Charlie only finds 1 ticket.

I think he means Charlie opens 3 bars of chocolate. Which coincides with the first film.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL