The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 19:53, scott b. wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 11:51, Devious wrote:
Gene Wilder would NOT have liked this film!

I thought he was still alive. I know he made a cancer come back in 2003.

And he does NOT like this film. He made an odd comment that the makers of the film "were just looking to make money!" Which is odd. What film maker wasn't just looking to make money? (Actually James Cameron with "Titanic" and Mel Gibson with "Passion of the Christ") The makers of the first film were certainly looking to make money. The film was supposed to be a cheap tie in for a line of Quaker Oats "Wonka" bars that didn't actually work.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 22:20, mandrake01 wrote:
The makers of the first film were certainly looking to make money. The film was supposed to be a cheap tie in for a line of Quaker Oats "Wonka" bars that didn't actually work.

Sure, that's how they got funding, but Mel Stuart wanted to make the movie because his daughter told him he should! Upon reading the book several times, he decided it'd make a good movie! I don't think HE was really after money.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I just went to see the movie tonight. I loved it. Even more so than the original. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff that is different and left out of this version, but if I had wanted to see the Gene Wilder film, I'd stay home and watch the DVD. To see something completely revamped and creative with the heart of the classic was great to watch. I loved Depp's reaction to the Children. Kind of reminds me of myself after working at fast food for 3 years of my life, just kind of irked by the rudeness to which throwing snappy but hilarious one-liners back at them is second nature to Wonka. And watching him get all giddy like a child watching a fireworks display when the Oompas sang was freakin' hilarious!

Go see this film. You get much of the original, and then some. You'll like it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-16 01:29, Andini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 22:20, mandrake01 wrote:
The makers of the first film were certainly looking to make money. The film was supposed to be a cheap tie in for a line of Quaker Oats "Wonka" bars that didn't actually work.

Sure, that's how they got funding, but Mel Stuart wanted to make the movie because his daughter told him he should! Upon reading the book several times, he decided it'd make a good movie! I don't think HE was really after money.

Well, how do we know Tim Burton didn't just make the film because he wanted to see it made closer to the viewpoint of the book?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
As a fan of the book, I hated the Gene Wilder movie. Don't get me wrong, I like Gene Wilder but they took all the creepy parts of the book out. I much prefered the new movie.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I really enjoyed the ending. (Specifically, w/out giving anything away, when they zoom outwards and reveal....well you know what if you saw the movie). I absolutley hated the end of the original, it was very.....cutoff and not satisfying. Also, I enjoyed Violet's scene. In the original they just had a blue light on her, this one was way cool. In general the effects were amazing, and Depp came off as a total crackpot....which was actually quite entertaining.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
The songs are the originals the lyrics are the original poems right from the book.
I have the first on DVD this blew it away.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
In general, I liked the film. I thought this Wonka was much better, but still not creepy enough.

I thought the stuff with Wonka's father (especially at the end) was a bit much. Didn't care for it. Better to leave Wonka as an enigmatic character than try to explain it all.

My wife, my 4 kids (ages 9 through 15) and I all thought this was better than the first Wonka movie.

But the book is still the best.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
SirPoBoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of SirPoBoy
I remember Gene Wilder had said that this movie really did not do justice of the Dahl book and that they just made the movie because it would make money. Nonetheless I will go soon to see this movie and will post a review soon for ya'll.

SirPoBoy
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I am a big fan of the original and Gene Wilder. I always thought the way Wilder played Willy Wonka was VERY CREEPY and kinda scary.

And the scene on the boat in the tunnel is a classic. The moving pictures on the wall are like a bad LSD trip.

And the speech he makes on the boat was sooooooo *** creepy. Here is the speech word for word. Remember he raises his voice louder and louder as he says this! :

" THERE'S NO EARTHLY WAY OF KNOWING

WHICH DIRECTION WE ARE GOING

THERE'S NO KNOWING WHERE WE'RE ROWING

OR WHICH WAY THE RIVER'S FLOWING

IS IT RAINING

IS IT SNOWING

IS A HURRICANE A-BLOWING

Not a speck of light is showing

So the danger must be growing

Are the fires of hell a glowing?

Is the grisly reaper mowing?

Yes! The danger must be growing

For the rowers keep on rowing

And they're certainly not showing

Any signs that they are slowing ! "

WOW,,,,,,And this is a childrens film?..Smile.....
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
True, the boat ride was MUCH better in the first film. It kind of looked fun in the 2005 version! Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL