The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Religion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
You mentioned earlier that you perform in church some. So assuming that you are religous, how does that affect your performance style as being a "mentalist"

Thanks a lot, Ben
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Ben,

I have no problem at all reconcilling my own beliefs with my work. I, of course, have given the matter much thought through the years and feel totally comfortable with my role as a mentalist.

Again, and I hate to keep plugging this, but Principles of Magic explains my philosophic as well as my artistic views of magic which in turns explains why I have no problems.

As far as my style, I would like to think that my religious beliefs are what make me respect the audiences I work for. I try to treat each person with dignity and set as my goals what I consider to be high artistic aims.

I hope that is not ducking the question.

Richard
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
I live in the Northwest, and have performed at church social functions before. Up here, I haven't run into people who think I'm in league with the devil. The south has a stereotype of people who think playing cards are inherently evil, dancing is sinful, etc. Do you ever run into that sort of thing in Kentucky? If so, how do you handle it?

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
Yes thank you very much for answering the question.

Ben
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Geoff,

Actually, when I first moved to Kentucky I was under that impression myself. I kept what I did pretty much of a secret. But in time, people began finding out and loving what I do. My pastor once told me that he had no problem with anything I do.

I really think it is how you present yourself. Probably there are some who could do straight magic and offend some people!

Richard
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I have always felt religon or belief to be a personal thing, mostly if they are non harming.

People can say what they want but my grandmother believes she will be in heaven with my grandfather when she dies and believes he is there now, she does not preach to any one but goes to mass every sunday. why would any one have a problem with that.
Simularly I see the same in mentalism, I have a lot of friends of different faiths.
Richard, you are one of the best examples of how a christian should be, you show your good will through your actions words and kindness.

Thank you again,
H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Richard would most likely NOT run into that problem since he is in the northern part of Kentucky...the further east you go from Lexington the worse this type of "thinking" and stereotype is...unfortunately.

I live 1hr east of Lexington and run into this amazingly frequently even though I live in a college town. This summer I have done quite a few libraries in the east part of the state, small communities. The last one I did, (just a regular magic show with emphasis on reading) a fellow that looked to be in his early 20's came up to me upon my arrival and asked, "Are you the magician?"

I confessed that I was and he replied, "I just want you to know I don't agree with what you are doing."

I responded in a non confrontational way saying, "that's ok..you don't have to."
He countered with the stock line of, "The Bible says you shouldnt do that type of thing."

I responded with.."Oh, don't worry! We magicains have come a long way in 3000 years..We don't' do REAL magic.

He asked, "You don't?"

"Oh no, it's just tricks...kinda like puzzles." (I cringed inwardly as I said this rather primative, reductionistic portrail of our Art!)

He said, "Really?"

"That's right." I responded....

"OK then..." he said and turned is back and walked away!
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Mdspark,

This kind of thinking is so sad and ignorant really. Most people who say "The Bible says you shouldn't do that" have NO IDEA what the Bible is about. The Bible is full of parabolic and hyperbolic tales - STORIES that serve to illustrate a point by relating to events that the every-day man (at the time) could understand.

Unfortunately, some people interpret the bible LITERALLY. When this happens, they don't see the forest for the trees. What Christians should take away from the Bible are the basic doctrines of human decency: Be good to others, help those less fortunate than yourself, don't judge others... in essence, be a KIND and RESPECTFUL person.

I don't mean to go on a diatribe about this issue as it's not the place, but if Christians acted more like Christ-like, our country (and the rest of the world) would not be so divided, and mentalists would never be looked upon as evil-doers.

Now back to PCT and BCS discussions! Smile
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Thank you Fred. There is nothing I can add to that.

Richard
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
Hi Richard,
It maybe far from the topic.
But I want to ask your opinion about Da Vinvi Code Book.
I know it already become an International Best Seller, but in Indonesia, The Tranlsation is come lately.
Thank you

Budiono
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Budiono,

I read it and feel it is full of inaccuracies, but to its defense, it is meant to be fiction.

Richard
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
Richard

Yes, but still a good book though. I can't stop read it from the first 5 page.
BTW, I just want to say your mind mystery set Is a great DVD. I really Like it. And BCS (I know I shouldn't Post this topic here) Is a Great Tools !
(Ok, I will move to the BCS Forum)
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
(Not to get slapped, booted off, or attacked but the bible also has this thing about a narrow door... Smile )
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-14 19:08, boynextdoor wrote:
(Not to get slapped, booted off, or attacked but the bible also has this thing about a narrow door... Smile )

That's why it pays to know someone who can get you in.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
For entertaining casually and having fun, I've been called a witch, a satanist, and a few things I wouldn't mention on here. I don't go around telling people it's psychology or illusions, I don't have time to be explaining all the time before or after performing something, and for that I pay a price.

Anabelle
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Fred, just to clarify, there are many things that are to be taken literally in the Bible. There are also many expressions, figures of speech, that have to be taken as just that, but in the context of the point of the discussion. It takes a willingness to study and know the difference that, sadly, many people are not willing to do.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Fred,

You read my thoughts! IMOP you are perfectly correct. They miss the forest for the trees..and judge, judge, judge....

Mark Sparkman
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Richard;

A quick question if I might; How would you make the initial approach to either the Pastor or to a "Church Committiee" to put on a mentalist show? This is an area that I think could well be worked here in Coventry/West Midlands.

Thanks.

Reuben
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Mark, what you're speaking of is a human tendency, not a Christian goal. I've found far more atheists who "judge, judge, judge" than Christians (who would be, by definition, sinning if judging beyond their personal sphere of responsibility).

Reuben, I've been asked by a bishop and by a Young Men's presidency to entertain, so this may seem simple to me. Assuming your denomination has no problem with magic entertainment, I'd just walk right up to them and ask 'em. Your photo shows a non-threatening image, so unless you punctuate your question with a "booga-booga"...

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-15 02:20, mindguy wrote:
Richard;

A quick question if I might; How would you make the initial approach to either the Pastor or to a "Church Committiee" to put on a mentalist show? This is an area that I think could well be worked here in Coventry/West Midlands.

Thanks.

Reuben

Reuben,

You know, it never happened that way! Usually, we are somewhere as a group, maybe out to dinner after a Sunday evening servise, or maybe at a church picnic or someplace like that. Somehow I get started and everyone knows what I do.

I don't see how you can possibly keep being a magician or a mentalist a secret very long especially if you are active in your church. A few weeks ago my wife and I were teaching Vacation Bible School and the crafts class, which was supposed to take 25 minutes, took 10. So, with all this stuff in the craft room, I did a few things for the kids to take up some time. Before long, everywhere I went the kids were saying, "Do something!" Then the pastor comes up to me and says, "Can you do a show for the group tomorrow night?"

That's the way it always goes. To spring a show on a pastor, or any group for that matter, if they don't know what you do and who you are, might lead to some reluctance.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Religion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL