The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best method for learning the keyboard/piano? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1163 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
As an absolute beginner, which is the best method to use for learning the piano or keyboard?
Conventional or pattern playing?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - wulfie
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
A good teacher.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I've played piano for about 8 years, and can tell you that to become proficient at it, you need a good teacher (As Jordini said).

Even if you read books and practice scales, there will still be things you're doing wrong. You need someone who can correct you, critique you, and give you suggestions.

Shane Wiker
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I've been a semi-pro musician for twenty years.
I've taught guitar and piano for fifteen years.
There is no right or wrong way to play any musical instrument.
If it sounds good, it IS good.

What type of music are you interested in playing?

If it's classical, you MUST learn classical technique and sight-reading.
You can't fake the great masters.

If it's virtually any other kind of music (jazz,pop,rock,country,whatever) Pattern or chord playing is the way to go. Standard piano lessons will do nothing but discourage you.
Learn to play by ear. Just buy a picture chord book and a fakebook and start playing. John Lennon's post-Beatle piano work is a great starting place. It's fairly simple to learn and can open the door to more complex stuff. You can always come back later and learn to sight-read.

Good luck!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I am lucky, I have the ear and the means to play with no tutoring.

My method was to just play the piano all the time I could. For me I know what shape my hands need too make for the result I want and just plonk them there.
Sorry for not being much help but for me it was natural.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I agree with Partizan, just sit down at the piano and move your hands around in a pianoy way. (Or is it a pianoish way?). Either way just sit down and do some pianoy type things. Sweet,sweet sounds will fill the air.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Wulfie,it depends on how far you want to go,is your aim to become a concert pianist or a first class pianist?,if the answer is yes,then I agree with the first replies,be prepared there is A LOT TO LEARN,if on the other hand you would like to have fun playing loads of songs quite quickly,(there are a lot of shortcuts)then my opinion is to learn to play in the easier keys,C,F,Bb,G and D,most music is written in those keys anyway,(and you can transpose), new keyboards of today have so much to offer with first class accompanyments that you can play chords with one finger and progress to left hand chords ,patterns are a clever idea, here is a good site which teach not only how to get most from your keyboard (yamaha based but independant)but you will find people who were at the same level as you who have progressed,www.psrtutorial.com ,hope this helps,mike
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1163 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
... is it me or does the the magic Café really rock!

what a brotherhood ... a big thank you to everyone who answered my posting and sent PM's ... when I become professional you all get back-stage passes! ... could be a looooong wait ... ha!

I intend to go for the distance learning of piano/keyboard patterns followed up with a personal tutor ...

wulfie
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
As said above, the best way is to learn with an expierenced, good teacher right beside you.

In most places here in the USA< there are lots teachers......Look in the Yellow pages for an established place.

P
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I think Wulfie wants to be able to "play along" as in strummimg the accompaniment
rather than playing a set piece . I know plenty of people who can play the piano or violin note perfect from sheet music but without it they are lost and haven't an
ounce of rythm in them.

howard
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I don't know a good way to learn pian or keyboard. I taught myself on a rainy day how to play. But I have always been very proficient with music.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Start when you're 4.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best method for learning the keyboard/piano? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL