The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Basic Stage Lighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Hi,

I'm new to all this stuff and I just want to make sure I understand things before making some purchases.

I want to be able to dim some Par 38 Can lights.

This means that I need the lights, a console with dimming capabilities and a dimmer pack right? (Are there any all in one console/dimmer packs?)

(I least that's what I understood by reading the Magic Roadie site)

Thanks

Mike
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1901 Posts

Profile of chmara
Yep --

But why get 38s -- you can rebulb Par 64s if you are worried about wattage -- and still have the headroom for the full boat of light,

Also - and this is important -- DO NOT GET THE CHEAP ALUMINUM DJ STYLE FIXTURES. They dent and break very quickly. I always use the heavier -- but sturdier steel fixtures because they are roadable --

Yes they still break -- but only when severely mishandled.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I do the stage lighting at my church. We use many different types of lights, but we use a lot of can lights. Here is a cheaper way instead of buying a console. I use the 'Axis Lighting Controller' program. Leviton Manufacturing makes the program. If you have a laptop, this is perfect for you. You can program different lights. Search for it online.
-Tyler
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Mike,

Here's a link that might help you. Jane and I have four Par 56's cans (aluminium) two with 300W bulbs and two with 500W bulbs. This is more than enough light for general lighting of a stage the size of the gigs you do. Knowing how you transport your show, you probably don't want (need) the metal cans. They are heavy. The aluminium ones are fine as long as you don't sit on them. Look up Kostar in the yellow pages. They're located on St-Hubert a couple of blocks north of Jean Talon. They can help you with all your lighting needs. They order all the American DJ stuff.
http://www.americandj.com/

John P.

ps. If you're interested, I have two brand new light stands with a T bar. They sell for about 100$ each. You can have BOTH for a hundred if you need them. JP
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Thanks for the info and advice. I was thinking of just getting two Par 38, mounting them on a wood plate and having them on the floor towards the front of the stage. This is just when the lighting at the venue isn't sudfficient or workable.

I'v been looking around and I can't believe the cost of consoles. I just want to be able to dim these two lights. I may have to reconsider.
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Mike,

If that's the case and you're just using 150W bulbs you could easily make yourself a dimmer. Buy a fifty foot extension cord (the heavy duty kind and black). About 6 feet from the male end ( the end you plug in the wall) cut the cord. At this point install a dimmer (like the one in your dinning room). Put it inside a metal switch box and make sure to tape over any exposed wires or screws. That's it a dimmer for about 15$. Any questions let me know.

JOhn
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Thanks John. That's a good alternative. I looked at those kind of dimmers at Home Depot over the weekend. Some were rated for 600 watts. Does that mean I could get away with 250 watts lamps?

By the way, how's the toyota coming along?
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Mike,

Sure, two 250's wouldn't be a problem. In fact you may consider using 4 150's. With just two lights you would be restrained to a small area on the stage, but with four you could stretch them across the front of the stage giving you a wider area to move around in and still be seen.

The toyota has had slight setback as we have put in pool and am busy building a deck and landscaping. Jane and I are out at Summerlea Golf Club tonight with a cocktail and after dinner show which I been busy with as well. I should be back on track next week.

Take care,

John
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Never thought of that. Great advice.

Summerlea is a beautiful club. Have fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Basic Stage Lighting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL