The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Your feedback please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Here are two videos I filmed yesterday. I'd appreciate your comments on them. They are two tricks that I really enjoy performing

http://www.white-wizard.co.uk/jazz.wmv
http://www.white-wizard.co.uk/outofcontrol.wmv

Many thanks in advance
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3266 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Video was good but audio was poor.

The first looked like a version of McDonald's Aces and the second was Queen's out of control. Your handling was pretty smooth on both of them. Your double lift is a bit obvious on the first one, you may want to review that. However, most spectators will probably not notice the flexing of the cards and etc. Patter usually covers that and I could not judge the patter.

When I perform, I like to look a bit less professional so that it removes from the spectator's mind that I am manipulating the cards.

Enjoyed the videos and thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Quote:
On 2005-07-17 10:46, weepinwil wrote:
Video was good but audio was poor.

The first looked like a version of McDonald's Aces and the second was Queen's out of control. Your handling was pretty smooth on both of them. Your double lift is a bit obvious on the first one, you may want to review that. However, most spectators will probably not notice the flexing of the cards and etc. Patter usually covers that and I could not judge the patter.

When I perform, I like to look a bit less professional so that it removes from the spectator's mind that I am manipulating the cards.

Enjoyed the videos and thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more.

Sorry about the sound. It is there, but the speakers need to be turned up!!!! I've not got a very good mic!
Thanks for your kind comments
The first trick is Jazz Aces, so yeah, the same kinda "plot" as McDonalds aces. The reason I love Jazz Aces is that it can be done with any pack of cards at anytime, something mc donalds aces suffers from!
Had a slight problem with the DL, but that was my fault. I'm not trying to make excusses, but the pack of cards was brand new. What I should have done was "wear them in" and get use to them before filming!!

Any more comments from anyone? I value any feedback. My parents have seen the tricks so many times that they are bored with it all!!!!!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4451 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I think you spent too long at the beginning showing the cards front and back. that's my first point. Forget this point but id ont like your double lift, but that's my personal opinion as I have never liked that version of a double lift, but as said beofre, to a laymen, it doesn't matter. Other than that, it wasnt bad. You have to remember we are magicians and will have a general understanding or should have a general understanding of what is going on, and we may pick up on things that might not be noticed to a layman.
The second video reminds me of when I used to perform this to audiences, so thaks for that, you performed it well and after I click submit I will go to the cupboard and dig mine out.

Thanks

chuds
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
For the first effect, your Elmsleys were good, your manner was pleasant, and you have a great voice!

Here are my suggestions for improvement of the first effect. I apologize if I sound hyper critical, but I'm honestly trying to help and I believe that making all of these changes will significantly enhance the effect:

* In the beginning of the effect, you switched the position of the 2nd and 3rd face up "X" cards for no apparent reason. Unmotivated actions can arouse suspicion. I assume that you simply forgot to place those four cards in your desired order to begin with, which is an easy problem to avoid.

* In the beginning of the effect, you "overproved" by repeatedly showing the fronts and backs of the eight cards. Overproving arouses suspicion and doesn't gain you anything.

* When you initially placed the four face up aces on top of the four face down "X" cards, you did so twice, which arouses suspicion. There's no reason to do that a 2nd time.

* You then flipped the four aces face down, one at a time, onto the four face down "X" cards, and used your left hand to both slide off and flip each card, which looked awkward. I suggest that you slide off each ace with your left hand and then use the left long edge of the packet in your right hand to flip each ace face down.

* At the end of the above, you placed the last ace, the Ace of Spades, on top of the packet overlapping the rear short end of that packet and then you slid the ace forward before dealing it onto the table. That placement and slide looked strange and were unmotivated. Why do that when you placed the other aces square with the packet? I suggest that you simply place the Ace of Spades face up square on the packet the same as you did the other aces, and then remove your right hand and use your right forefinger to point to that ace to emphasize which one it is (that's the motivation for placing it on the packet). Now your handling is consistent.

* Next, after dealing the Ace of Spades face up and dealing the three remaining cards, supposedly the three other aces, face down, you had four face down cards left in your hand and you moved the bottom card to the top for no apparent reason. To motivate the movement of the bottom card, simply remove it from the packet in your hand, use that card to point to the face up Ace of Spades on the table as you explain that it will be the leader ace, and then place the card on top of the packet.

* Learn a more natural double lift!

* Your peformance of the Olram Subtlety can be improved. Do not use your right thumb to pull of the second card from the top and deal it onto the table. Instead, use your left thumb to push off that card and place it on top of the face down card that your right hand just dealt onto the table. Also, here's a tip to significantly reduce the chance that the audience will realize that they're seeing the bottom card twice--simply switch the position of the last two cards so that when you show those cards the bottom card is in the right hand and the other card is in the left hand.

I hope that you find these comments helpful and take them in the way they were intended.

Larry Davidson
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Many thanks
I'll work on your comments tonight
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Your feedback please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL