The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Misdirection in Performances » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Hello, I was wondering if you used misdirection in your pereformances? I also wanted to know if you did use it, where did you learn it(DVDs, Videos, Books, etc.). Or just what you do to misdirect.

Thanks,
Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Alex,

Now there's a question that would require a small book to totally cover.

Yes, I use misdirection ALL THE TIME! Not the kind that close up workers use, but stage misdirection that happens as you move around, turn to talk to people, etc. All my videos are filled with that kind of misdirection especially ETMMM when it comes to the billet routines.

The best place to learn it is in the Tarbell Course. (Surprise!) Close-up magic, the way it is currently presented, is an almost artificial form of our art. Most real world situations don't allow a close-up pad, performer sitting opposite seated spectators and everything happening within those boundries. Most close up magic in the real world happens while standing either at a table or with everyone around you and you have to do your material completely surrounded. Your misdirection must be of an entirely different nature than the previous mentioned situation. You create "space", use the spectators as shields, your own body as one, use other audience members to misdirect and take advantage of situations that happen spontaneously as you interact with them or that you create by your conversation. The Tarbell Course excells at explaining this kind of misdirection.

Richard
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Are there any other good places to learn misdirection, because I know the Tarbell's Course books are real expensive?

Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
The Tarbell books are not "real expensive." Volume 1 has an excellent article called "the Art of Misdirection" and Volume 1 is priced at only $20.

That same article, along with "Misdirection Palming" and a host of other tips in misdirection (oftimes included with instructions for routines), is also contained in the original Tarbell System course in magic, which was 60 lessons delivered every ten days or so to your mailbox. You can get those original lessons, plus the Post-Graduate Course, from http://www.lybrary.com for under $40.

Osterlind's Mind Mysteries DVDs (especially Volume 1) and Easy to Master Mental Miracles DVDs also include many examples of strong misdirection. Those run around $35 each. If your local shop doesn't carry them, tell them to do so.

Dan Turcotte's DVDs contain at least one e-book with a lesson on misdirection, and the videos themselves show examples of leading an audience's attention to where you want. A very good example is either of his videos showing his "In Your Hands" Cups & Balls routine. See http://www.youdomagic.com for information on this material.

Good lessons on misdirection aren't expensive; they're sound investments.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Are the Tarbell eBooks the actual Books just in CD form?

Alex
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
The Tarbell CD-ROM includes the original lessons as they were mailed to the original students of the Tarbell System course, along with the Post-Graduate Course which was offered somewhere around 1930. This was the bulk of material which went into Volumes 1-5 and 8 of the hardbacks, with some of it being rewritten and some going into the newer editions "as is."

With the CD-ROM, you can actually take the lessons as they were given, and watch yourself rise and advance as a mysterian (much more than "just" a magician) just like quite a few professional magicians of the time did. I think it's safe to say that Dr Tarbell created more magicians and mentalists than anyone before or since.

I actually own most of the hardbacks (Volumes 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, & 8) as well as the CD-ROM set. This is one of two investments which Mr Osterlind talked me into, and which I try to always remember to thank him for recommending. (The other is *Our Magic* which is being saved for reading during 2 through 15 August.) I think you'll be surprised when you see how so much, if not most, of modern magic and mentalism is taught in these eternal texts.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Does the eBook have all 8 books?

Alex
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Alex, to repeat: "This was the bulk of material which went into Volumes 1-5 and 8 of the hardbacks, with some of it being rewritten and some going into the newer editions 'as is.'"

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Misdirection in Performances » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL