The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing School Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Hi. I want to market a school show to schools. I've never done this, my main forte is corporate. Any suggestion? What is the best way to do this?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A couple of quick questions for you, Josh.

#1 MOST IMPORTANT: Just want to make sure that before you MARKET a school show, that you HAVE ONE that will satisfy the customer's needs and wants? Have you developed a school show first? (I ask this, because there are performers who market a show to a certain venue, simply because they heard there was good money, etc., not because it was something they thought they could do well for those types of customers. I am not accusing you of being one of those types of performers, but just asking if you are sure you can do that type of show, for that type of customer.)

How has the feedback been?

Do you have testimonial letters from family / kids shows, with a preference of testimonials specifically from schools? (you can get school testimonials before you really market your school shows).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
As a fulltime school presenter of 20+ yrs. I'll be glad share a few tips.

Is your presentation educational? Please no Dave Dee In A Box School Shows! A good school show is like a great corporate presentation. It requires research & knowledge of a given subject. It's not a "buy it today and perform it tomorrow" program. A great educational presentation needs excellent support materials as well as a structrally sound program. Most people that buy "show in a box" don't even change the stupid title! If I see one more "The Magic Inside" show I'll scream or throw up!

Be prepared to market. And market alot! We send an average of 3000+ pieces of direct mail a month!

Does it sound like hard work? Guess what? IT IS! Too many think it's a quick buck...IT'S NOT! I don't mind great performers in the market but I detest lousy ones. A poorly done school program leaves a bad taste in the clients mouth for yrs to come. So if you do schools, do it right! Research & construct a great show. That's how it's done by all the successful fulltime school performers I know. I personally don't know a single fulltime pro that uses a "show in a box". All my friends have made a show that is uniquely theirs. That way the guy down the street isn't doing your stuff. If you are a truly successful corporate performer you should know how to do this already.

Another great piece of advice... Drop MAGICIAN from any of your advertising or speil.

Good luck...
John Cooper
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-07-17 18:08, Creative Coach wrote:
Most people that buy "show in a box" don't even change the stupid title! If I see one more "The Magic Inside" show I'll scream or throw up!

That being said, CJ Johnson's "The Magic Inside" license is a product that you like and recommend. Right, John? (You said so in another post on another thread at one time.)

- Donald Smile
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Donald, I have done school shows before, but purely for entertainment, I have video, letters, etc. So I have the show, I just want to make it something appealing to schools who will book me. I am leaning towards the Reading Programs (Not Dave Dee's, I've had my share with his stuff, luckily only at $97) because it seems that if I have 2 shows: and educational show and an entertainment show I can double the schools receptiveness towards booking me.

Now, this has proven very beneficial for me in the corporate market. Clients who book my Hypnosis Show will book my Magic Show the my Mentalism Show then my Illusion Show.

Is it the same here?

For marketing, I am well aware of the affects. I am doing a lot of mailings (not 3000) too.
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Yes, Donald. I do like CJ's show. What I'm saying is make it your OWN and change the name! It doesn't have to be the same name or the same show. Look at the effects...can other effects produce the same results and message?

Hope this helps,
John
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Josh -

You will find that John and I disagree (respectfully) about school shows. I have been doing them for a number of years, and market both motivational (not true "educational") shows and also "for-fun" shows. In fact, I currently offer a range of 7 school shows, but know which ones are the most popular.

One is our reading show, and the other one is our "for-fun" show. We had one school recently that had our Reading show in March, and then our "for-fun" show in June, for the end of the year. Also, I should mention that this customer also had some of our other "motivational" shows in March of 2004 and March of 2003. So, they are definitely a repeat customer, choosing something different each time. This is often what happens with schools. Also, sometimes I am booked by the school PAC (aka the PTA), but sometimes by the school administration (principal or vice-principal). It is totally possible to do what you plan, offering 2 shows to start with, and building from there.

Now, I know from past interaction with my friend John, that he feels schools aren't interested in "for-fun" shows (my experience is the opposite), but then again, he is just really passionate about the messages he has to share with customers, and the purity of his marketing. So, I see his perspective, too.

I have found more success with focusing on the "for-fun" show in one mailing, and the "motivational" show in a totally seperate mailing. Rather than trying to sell both choices in the same mailing.

This is just my opinion. I hope that it helps.

- Donald

P.S. Thank you John for adding clarity to your position. Smile
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Donald,
Yes, we do disagree sometimes but we respect each other! In my neck of the woods (SE USA) schools do not take children out of classroom time for fun shows. The show must be educational in value.

Yes, I too get tons of repeat customers as I offer several different shows and services in education.

I have nothing against CJ's show (I recommend it!), just the dimwits who can't even be creative enough to change the title or the show content!
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Do any of you perform School Shows for Highschools or Junior high schools or are you performing for elementary schools?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Farrell -

I specialize in Elementary Schools, because I enjoy those types of audiences. Yes, I have tried other ages over the years, but just didn't enjoy it. That's also why I turn away adult-only shows to my competition (for the most part).

- Donald
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

I do some middle school programs. But mainly elementary school audiences. I also do speaking presentations for elementary shool principals, teachers and parents as well as middle school teachers.

Farrell,
I went to your site DrugFreeMagician.com. Have you researched the Drug Free theme? In my area these shows have no funding except for one week - Red Ribbon Week. I hope you're not sinking a bunch of money into this theme or you know something I don't. Maybe it will sell with Corporate sponsors. Have you researched this in the educational community?

Best of Luck,
John
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2005-07-17 18:08, Creative Coach wrote:
...Another great piece of advice... Drop MAGICIAN from any of your advertising or speil.
John Cooper

John, I give up. Why the above advice, I thought the staff and kids would LOVE a magician, why drop the word from ads or presentations?

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

It's really up to you. Drop it and make bigger fees or keep it and earn less! The choice is yours!

Recently after a series of great school presentations I recommended a great friend. The principal said, "We had him entertain at my nephews birthday. He was fantastic but he could'nt do a program for my students or staff." My highly qualified friend lost a $750 staff presentation due to the principal view of magicians.

If you're going to work schools you can use variety entertainment in your programs but your fee can double or triple by leaving out the word "Magician"
It really your choice. Personally, I'm an Educational Speaker. Same way with the word "Clown". Most principals associate clown with Ronald McDonald. Sorry but it's just fact. At least in my neck of the woods (SE USA)

HA Ha Funny Funny shows are out! Educational funding & PTA bucks don't pay for these type shows much any more.

I'm not making this advice to argue or be mean. I'm trying to improve your bottom line.

WARNING: Don't advertise as an Educational Speaker and not be able to walk the walk and talk the talk. I've spent 20+ yrs getting here!
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Farrell,

I'm currently only marketing to Jr. and Sr. high schools for my educational programs.

John,

I'll have to agree with you on the educational based theme as opposed to entertainment. Schools will not pay, and in fact can't pay tax payer dollars for "fun shows". They have to have some sort of an educational theme. I do believe things are different in Canada where the rules aren't so strict.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I have to agree with John. My friend Danny Orleans from Chicago told me many years ago to add the word "Educator" to my promotional materials for schools. I still kept magician, but billed myself as a Magician/Educator for fifteen years. It definitely made a difference.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Jim,

thanks again for all of your help and your Success-in-Magic course. I've had 3 calls in the last week for shows this fall. It's paying for itself already. I do have a question though -- one of the contacts that came in via email asked who my sponsor was. Is this similar to what you spoke about having a bank or other organization sponsor your show?
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I think using Magician in promo stuff is not that great too. I like Jim's Educator/Magician. In the corporate area when people hear magician they come to me before the show and say, "So do you do kid shows, pull bunnys out of hats, etc" It is somewhat embarrassing for me.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Eric,

I'm not sure what they wanted to know. Sounds like they were wondering if you had a sponsor to help underwrite the cost. When you speak to the client be sure to ask. You never know, perhaps they would like to be your sponsor.

I'm pleased that you are getting work. Once you get the ball rolling, it gets easier. Best wishes.
Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
GREAT Stuff gang!

The "U.S." is a BIG place and though LOTS of schools do like "educational" shows, SOME still will book a compliment of "Just For FUN" shows as well. The good news is that if you offer BOTH you can win 100% of the market and NOT be left out of the percentage that only do “one or the other” and amp up your business "in the SAME school" if they do BOTH! (Which has been MY experience!) Along with VERY PROFITABLE Fund Raising show to help PAY for it all... look; “same school MORE chance to perform for the same relationships of you are smart!

REMEMBER: "Work Smart, not Hard!"

Keep in mind that ONE of my rotations of REALLY "educational" school show offerings is an "Arts Appreciation" show where I show the kids how to act, behave and "appreciate" Live theater, such as a "Live Magic, (or what-ever you do) Show!"

I am NOT saying “slide by on doing the least possible” by a long shot. You MUST be a quality presenter and a REAL Quality Educator in your show and NOT some: "Do the Trick and then tell them the moral of the story" type act... pew-wee, that stuff usually STINKS!

BE Excellent and you will be rewarded accordingly!

Just remember, you get paid the very BEST by delivering rock-solid SOLUTIONS based on their (The Them who pay you... schools, what-ever!) wants, needs, desires and outcomes whether it be educational, fun, fund raising, after school classes... what-ever THEY want!

"But How Do You Know When To Offer What, and To Whom?"

That's EASY...

ASK!

During your influence, selling and persuasion process, “The quality of the sales process is directly in-proportion the quality of the questions you ask and then the solutions you deliver based on the answers to those questions!"

Be a master of the "quality question"!

"The More VALUE Your Create, The More Money You'll make!" It’s just the LAW! (Hehehehe!)

Hope that adds to the discussion some.

Different perspective… kind-of, the same in a lot of ways also.

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><

PS
Yes, “sometimes” the “Magician” think hurts your positioning, and other times it helps… again, ya; gotta KNOW YOUR MARKET and learn to mater GREAT QUESTIONS! I don’t use “magician” hardly at all any more for most of the rreasons offered and more of my own personal positioning.
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing School Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL