The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Getting the point across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I just posted in another string about keeping the trick to point ratio balanced, so as to make sure that the point of the message gets across.

I remember working on a trick soooo long, I thought I had everything together just right(message and trick). I used the trick to illustrate the message in Childrens Church that Sunday. Everything went like clockwork. I was so Pleased with myself, I couldn't stand it.

Then at the end of the sermon, when I asked questions to reemphasize my point, none of the kids had a clue what I was talking about.
Most of them were sure they could do the trick, but they remembered zip about the message I was trying to get across. Smile Smile

Ok, I have learned a GREAT lesson in humility, however, I am still at a loss as to how to get a good balance and end with the kids remembering the message later.

HELP Smile

Suggestions would be appreciated.

God Bless
Steve
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
380 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Repetition! Repetition! Repetition! When I teach, I try to use more than one trick to emphasize my point. In fact, we use drama, juggling, vent, puppets and object lessons. Teaching a point with several different methods keeps them interested and sticks with them.

Rick
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks Rick
I know Repetition is key with kids, and I thought I was using it, but apparently not enough.

I usually have a relatively short time for my message, so I don't usually have time for more than one trick. Using all those different things is good psychology and sounds great in a longer setting. I will definitely try to add different ways to illustrate my point if I get can get a little more time to work with.

Thanks again Rick
Godspeed
Steve
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Rick is right on with repetition.

Reaching kids today is a challenge, because they are so used to having things thrown at them (video/audio/etc.) at an intense pace, they are kind of tuned out until they are hooked by interest. OK, that is a pretty obvious statement and Steve (and lots more of us) experienced it. So how do you really "Communicate" with kids.

You have to engage them. And involve their minds in the process.

I try as much as possible to use (either before to set it up, or afterwards to cement it in) multiple explanations with a lot definitions/explanations for kids.

In other words, I make a point, rather than expecting them to understand it (some do, and some don't), I ask them what it means (engagement). Then I confirm the ones right, and otherwise offer encouragement to all those who answered (now they are involved). I then define it and explain it in other terms, and define anything new that I am throwing into the explanation. So we are all on the same page, and I move along.

Then when I have the next major point to make, I go through that process again.

By doing it this way, I keep the kids with me (actually I use this approach on adults too Smile ) and they will remember the points made.

Back in my early days in selling and as a professional seminar presenter, I learned the three T's method, and pretty much blend it into all of my presentations. The basis of the three T method, is that people do not assimilate something the first time they hear it. In fact, they only retain part of the information after the second hearing of it. And finally they have a high retention rate after the third time, so:

T number 1. Tell them.
T number 2. Tell them what you told them
T number 3. Tell them what you told them again.

Now, obviously, if there was nothing wrong with your presentation, this may not apply. So then you have to ask; did the effect actually obscure the message instead of illustrating and reinforcing it? If not, and by your humility in asking for advice on this, I would guess that would not be the case.

So consider "stop points" where you can regather their interest and confirm their understanding through questions, and using repetition or synonyms to help set the foundation of the message.

God Bless you caring about the message! And keep up the good work!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks BroDave
As always you have Great ideas and are quick with help.

That is a lot to digest, but I guess that's what I am asking for.
I believe I understand what you are saying, and I know it's a lot to ask for, but could you give some practical illustrations of the suggestions you offered?
As I thought I was doing at least some of the things you suggest, probably wrong Smile , and am a more visual learner. Perhaps you could draw me more of a picture.
Godspeed
Steve
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
"I'm gonna tell ya what I'm about to tell ya, then I'm gonna show and tell ya, and then I'm gonna tell ya what I just showed and told ya"

For Children, give a brief synopsis of the message first. Then a presentation illustrating the message with the effect. Then a re-cap of the message. If done all at once, the attention will always, unfortunately, default to the effect.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks Charlie

Great advice, it's the overshadowing of the effect that was my problem.

Let me make sure I got it right,

a Pre trick explaination,

the trick and explanation,

and then a recap of the explaination.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again
Godspeed
Steve
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Glad to have been of some assistance Steve. God bless you for watering the seeds.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks Charlie
I think that's what this whole Forum is about. I'm not sure whether I'm Planting Hoeing or Watering, but I know who gives the increase.
Godspeed
Steve
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Sorry for my delay in responding Steve, but Charlie covered it.

It is all about involvement, explanations, definitions, and repetition, making sure they are all tightly "tucked in for the ride" at all times so you don't lose any of them along the way. Smile

God Bless!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Getting the point across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL