The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » strolling or standing?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I have been asked to perform some miracles at the local Fall Festival this weekend, and I am torn between strolling around or taking a close up table and my case and staying in a fixed location.. the table adds quite a bit of opportunities for me to perform a wider variety of effects, but people will have to come to me.. I also have 5 standard sets of tricks routined together, each consisting of 3 seperate effects.. probably about 10-15 minutes each set...is this long enough to put on a show and ask for donations (this is a fund-raiser non-profit for me) at each sets end? or should I combine more and make (2)-30 minute sets?
I am new to the art of the "sidewalk shuffle"
and would appreciate any advice..
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The 10-15 minute sets are better, as people probably won't want to stand in one place for much longer than that.

If you have time, I would recommend picking up a copy of Cellini's "Street Magic" video/DVD, as it has many useful pointers on the art of street performing.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Philemon as you will want to turn as many hats as possible to maximize your time.
I dont mean that you should hurry but you can pack a lot in a 12-15 min set. And the Cellini vid/dvd that Philemon mentioned has nearly a complete set by Sonny Holiday where he does cards, cig production, coins, cut and restored rope and cups and balls. All done in a smooth comfortable pace.

And it seems I just saw that it on sale at around $45, which makes it a terrific buy. I paid $60 and it was well worth every penny!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Thanks for the advice, I will be on the look out for the Cellini video for sure! One more question, when you perform for a community
fund rasing orginization..(this weekend is supposed to raise money for the local school system) is it bad ethics to keep a portion of the money for prop replacement and supplies used during the show? or should I eat the loss and turn over all of the hat money to the fund?
Thanks again
Tom Defrange Smile
J.B. Bobo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Just because you have a table, doesn't mean you can't do both. You can draw people to your table by doing some strolling stuff as well.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-10-23 08:38, MAGICTOM wrote:
is it bad ethics to keep a portion of the money for prop replacement and supplies used during the show?

As long as you're upfront with the charity beforehand, I don't see it as a problem. I'm sure they will understand.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Thanks, I like the idea of strolling around and drawing people to my location.. that will give me the best of both worlds..

and I will talk to the people running the show about the money situation..
Thanks all
Tom
J.B. Bobo
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
well,

dont look for the video...just buy it...if you have an interest in doing street style performance...you NEED this video....its available all over the world....we have sold a ton of them by the way....I have had the pleasure and honor of being a student of the legendary cellini...he has changed my life...and almost all of the secrets are on that video...If you are unwilling to spend $60 then you aren't serious....

your show should have a beginning, middle and end....unless you are extremly funny and entertaining like Gazzo then I would suggest a 10 to 15 minute set....then after you have put that set together go out and do it over and over and over...pick 3 good routines that are magical and make them better...more entertaining....do a 1000 street sets then you will start to understand how to entertain....people say to be good at anything you need to practice.....well its the same for performing...do it over and over and you will get good real quick....
cellini told me that if I went out on the streets and worked a year....it would take 20 years of working any other environment to equal what I would get out of that one year....if I were you I would pick my best 3 effects and do them...maybe even 4 or 5...and do them over and over at this event for differeent audiences....

focus on being entertaining....and yuou will do fine....and end with a climax....start and end the same way every time until you figure it out weather its working or not...and then adjust...make those changes....
it seems that a lot of magicians sit in their houses and work on the show.....put all the lines together....and do this for a year or 2....then go out and none of those lines work.....the best way to build a show is to go out and fail....over and over...and eventually you will get it...working on the streeets...even at a festival is a difficult and humbling environment...and it takes a strong person to fail over and over and not quit....i promise eventually you will get there....

and buy the video....NOW!

Koz
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
GREAT ADVICE!
Thank you for the lengthy post..I will purchase the video, but unfortunately, the only money I have to spend on magic is what I make from magic.. I made this deal with my wife.. and it is working well, I have a couple of shows each month, and I have enough money to play with and learn more for my next show.. I WILL get the video the instant I have the cash to do so.. but right now, I am broke otherwise..
Again, thank you for the post..
Sincerely
Tom Defrange
J.B. Bobo
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good rule Tom! I am glad my wife doesn't read these forums, or I might have to do likewise. Smile

Kozmo's advice on structure, effects and practice/repetition is great. A lot is straight from the video. But that shouldn't be a surprise as he was There! So you can trust that what he says is "Cellini certified" and street productive.

I love what Koz said about how a year on the street is equal to 20 in any other venue. Becuase the almost every other venue has a much higher degree of builtin performer control and separation from the audience that reduces the unexpected.

But out on the street, you are exposed (I mean that in a good way....) and have to respond and learn, and react at a faster pace. No two street scenes are the same. So every one is a opportunity to learn and grow as a performer.

If you always do what you always did. You always get what you always got!

But the street is different every time out, and you never know quite what you will get! So you certainly find out a lot about people, and yourself, on the street.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » strolling or standing?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL